- 4th Mountain Group
- 7th Mountain Battalion Ioan Buteanu
- 8th Mountain Battalion
- 15th Mountain Battalion
- 5th Mountain Group
- 9th Mountain Battalion
- 10th Mountain Battalion
- 16th Mountain Battalion
- 2nd Mountain Artillery Group
- 2nd Mountain Howitzer Battalion
- 4th Mountain Gun Battalion
- 5th Mountain Gun Battalion
- 1st Mountain Pioneer Battalion
On 22 June 1941, the brigade had 478 officers, 337 NCOs and 12,295 soldiers. It participated in the fighting from the first days of the offensive on the Romanian front. Because it was the most affected mountain unit during the advance into the Soviet Union in the summer and autumn of 1941, the brigade was sent back home for refitting and it arrived in its garrison on 7 December 1941. It had lost 74 officers, 44 NCOs and 1,808 soldiers (KIA, WIA and MIA).
On 15 March 1942, it was reorganized and transformed into the 2nd Mountain Division.