Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Reenacting Romanian WW2, looking for materials to start with
RHaught
Posted: October 20, 2006 08:48 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Kepi,

Agree with the conversion of the WWI great coat. If you can't do it then suggest buying a repro so you do not destroy an original. Here is a link to Schipperfabrik who has a M1912 Greatcoat repro for sale Schipperfabrik

Also, can someone show pics of the M38 gasmask canister where the straps are attached? Friend is going to send me some and would like to know what I am going to deal with when putting repro straps on them.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Kepi
Posted: October 21, 2006 04:56 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 680

Obviously is not a good idea to transform a real AEF private greatcoat into a Romanian WW2 one. To modify a replica seems to be the best solution. Our group is also interested to have greatcoats (and also summer tunics).
Did you asked Dragos if he could make a WW2 greatcoat for you?
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: October 21, 2006 07:37 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Kepi,

While there this summer at the museum, asked Dragos about the greatcoat. He said it was in the works when I spoke to him as well as the summer uniform. Maybe someone there could help him with his website he started so that he can advertise his items he sells. He should also be making uniforms of various sizes and found out that the Woolrich Company can make the wool he needs just send in a swatch of wool so they know what to make.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
mihnea
Posted: October 21, 2006 03:51 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

QUOTE (RHaught @ October 20, 2006 11:48 pm)
Also, can someone show pics of the M38 gasmask canister where the straps are attached? Friend is going to send me some and would like to know what I am going to deal with when putting repro straps on them.

I think you are referring to the m35 Romanian gas mask. I wonder why your friend is sending them without the strap; I bought one a few weeks ago from a flea market a Sarogaz can in very good condition with the strap for 10 ron (3,5 euro).

I have two m35 gas masks one made by Sarogas the other by A.G.V. and the straps differ a bit, and the same difference can be noticed on these two gas masks: http://gasmasklexikon.com/Page/Start01.htm .

Sarogaz:
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

A.G.V:
user posted image user posted image user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: October 21, 2006 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

A.G.V:
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Together:

A photo of a odd strap fitted to an FMP gas mask that belongs to wingsofwrath (from here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...pic=2360&st=165 ) user posted image

This post has been edited by mihnea on October 21, 2006 04:01 pm
PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: October 21, 2006 06:02 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

so if you have two will you sell one ? smile.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
mihnea
Posted: October 21, 2006 09:31 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

I'm firstly a collector then a reenactor therefore I'm not selling anything. But I want to buy a FMP gas mask to complete the "family". wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: October 24, 2006 12:24 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (Kepi @ October 21, 2006 04:56 am)
Obviously is not a good idea to transform a real AEF private greatcoat into a Romanian WW2 one. To modify a replica seems to be the best solution. Our group is also interested to have greatcoats (and also summer tunics).
Did you asked Dragos if he could make a WW2 greatcoat for you?

Kepi,

I'll email Dragos but if anyone else see's him please ask if he can make the greatcoats. Also, received this email from a gentleman on the WWI group:

"Rob,

Am I right in thinking that the US Army greatcoat is a double breasted affair?

If so, as suggested, it may be possible to convert one from a British '49 Pattern 'Dismounted' greatcoat, these are, IIRC, still in production and are certainly (at present) still readily available."

What do you think? Would the British 49 work?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: October 24, 2006 12:32 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (mihnea @ October 21, 2006 03:51 pm)
QUOTE (RHaught @ October 20, 2006 11:48 pm)

I think you are referring to the m35 Romanian gas mask. I wonder why your friend is sending them without the strap; I bought one a few weeks ago from a flea market a Sarogaz can in very good condition with the strap for 10 ron (3,5 euro).

I have two m35 gas masks one made by Sarogas the other by A.G.V. and the straps differ a bit, and the same difference can be noticed on these two gas masks: http://gasmasklexikon.com/Page/Start01.htm .

Sarogaz:
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

A.G.V:

mihnea,

Thanks for the pics, ordered one repro strap set (used on german canister) to see how it will work. Also, my boots didn't stay dry at Haydenville, I had to walk up a stream for 300 yards up to my ankles in water! biggrin.gif
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: October 24, 2006 01:50 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Need to find a soldiers ID book. Does anyone know where it would be possible to get one or does someone have one to share pics with so that a reproduction one can be made?

As for the ID disc, what is the difference between what was written on them compared to the German ID disc? Have blank German ones and want to get one filled out for the Romanian impression.

And on a funny note, my wife has me enrolled starting next spring to move above pre-school Romanian in a class at Columbia University! biggrin.gif
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: October 24, 2007 09:11 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Some more questions to help get us get it a little more closer to being authentic here in the US.

1) As was mentioned earlier about converting a WWI AEF overcoat to Romanian, what about getting a brown double breasted Belgian greatcoat and changing the buttons to a plain greenish French style? Or a German DAK brown greatcoat?

2) Caciula for winter gear. As the person stated they are seen in pictures. How would we get them that look correct?

3) Shelter halves: Can anyone give us a description on style, shape, grommets, etc? Will try to one on the market that resembles a Romanian one as best we can.

4) Rations: What were the rations a regular soldier would have had in the field? Hot and cold meals.

5) Winter boots: Would German boots be fine?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
historymuseum2000
Posted: October 26, 2007 02:08 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1586

Rob,

A few days ago I came across an ID book on EBAY. It was a pre- war officers one, I am not sure if those would have been similar to the EM's or not.

I unfortunately did not save the link or photos, I knew I should have!

I will go back and see if I can find it again.
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: October 28, 2007 03:01 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (historymuseum2000 @ October 26, 2007 02:08 am)
Rob,

A few days ago I came across an ID book on EBAY. It was a pre- war officers one, I am not sure if those would have been similar to the EM's or not.

I unfortunately did not save the link or photos, I knew I should have!

I will go back and see if I can find it again.

I have an original Livret and will send the scans to you on the group email. A gentleman in California is using it to make blank reproductions for reenacting (don't worry will mark it somewhere as a repro).
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: November 11, 2007 07:04 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (Kepi @ October 18, 2006 06:04 am)
I think the American WW1 greatcoat is the best solution for a possible conversion into a Romanian WW2 greatcoat. The Polish model is not suitable for such a transformation because it is single breasted and has a rear back strap.  See also: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...pic=2360&st=135.

A photo representing a WW2  greatcoat could be seen here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3090&hl=

On of the gentlemen in the Midwest has been talking to a vendor in regards to converting a DAK overcoat into a Romanian one so it would be available to reenactors and possibly even summer uniforms/

Here is what the gentleman is asking in regards to details on the overcoat.

Hi Partick,
Thanks for your photos of the Romanian greatcoat, I've noticed that there are several details need to be improve on the DAK greatcoat to modify it as the Romanian pattern, and what i concern is, if the Romanian greatcoat features the same lining pattern as the german ones? for example do they have the hooks on the curve bottom? how about the belt hooks and the leather reinforced splits on the back? if they are all in the same pattern, then certainly we can easily to modify the German DAK coat the the Romanian pattern.
Best regards
Barry

Can anyone assist us with the details of an overcoat so a perfect reproduction could be made? Detailed description and pictures (of originals as well if possible) are very helpful. We could also use the same type of information on the Romanian summer uniform as well.

This post has been edited by RHaught on November 11, 2007 07:05 pm
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: December 02, 2007 05:11 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Mihnea thanks for the information on those. Another question is would the Bulgarian shelter half work for a substitute for the Romanian one?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0496 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]