Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rumanian Army Dog-Tag
Carol I
Posted: November 04, 2004 09:46 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

And another one, also from eBay.

user posted image
PM
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: November 07, 2004 07:41 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 198

I have noticed that all of these German style Romanian dog tags being dug up at Stalingrad are all together. Both halves complete. Most of the German ones found at the diggings are only half pieces. It is apparent that when they find these tags, there are bodies attached to them. The perferation holes in the middle of the tag is so that one could bend the tag and seperate the two halves leaving one usually imbedded in a dead soldiers mouth for identification. The other piece to return home for identification and verification of the dead. A practiced used by the Germans and the US during WW2 but I do not see that this practiced was used by the Romanian military as all these dog tags are dug up completly in tack.
PMYahooMSN
Victor
Posted: November 08, 2004 12:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Probably because there was no one to do this left around. There were many cases of encirclements, attacks and counterattacks in the Stalingrad area. Soldiers could have easily been killed, either after being taken POWs by Soviets (wounded were shot, as they could not march; soldiers that lagged behind teh POW columns were also shot) or simply killed during a failed counterattack and freindly forces had to retreat.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
RHaught
Posted: November 13, 2004 12:43 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ Nov 7 2004, 07:41 PM)
I have noticed that all of these German style Romanian dog tags being dug up at Stalingrad are all together. Both halves complete. Most of the German ones found at the diggings are only half pieces. It is apparent that when they find these tags, there are bodies attached to them. The perferation holes in the middle of the tag is so that one could bend the tag and seperate the two halves leaving one usually imbedded in a dead soldiers mouth for identification. The other piece to return home for identification and verification of the dead. A practiced used by the Germans and the US during WW2 but I do not see that this practiced was used by the Romanian military as all these dog tags are dug up completly in tack.

You are correct, the same seller is always offering them. I also too wondered if he has been taking them off of remains and not informing the authorities.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Florin
Posted: November 15, 2004 05:26 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Dénes @ Oct 25 2004, 11:07 AM)
P.S. I am wondering what these grave diggers do with the human remains they find...

On my behalf, I am wandering that there is still something remained to be looted.
Most cemeteries with Axis soldiers were vandalized in the immediate aftermath of the war. The crosses were used as wood for fire. You know, in Russia is cold a half of year.
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 06, 2004 05:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

A cross-shaped dog tag (on eBay):
user posted image

Col. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: February 01, 2005 12:36 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 3 2004, 05:24 PM)
Romanian Navy dog-tag
user posted image
It belonged to Lt. mec. Constantin Dimancea who was aboard the destroyer Mărăşeşti in 1941.

Awards of Cpt. Constantin Dimancea (from La Galerie Numismatique)

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Florin
Posted: February 04, 2005 03:58 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ Jul 8 2004, 01:09 AM)

Row 1 : #1 Bakelite plastic. Circa 1930's period. Worn into WW2. Soldiers
Unit, ID number, year of issue or recruitment and sometimes
name is scratched on the bake. ..........

A better image, than that shown in your group photo (upper left corner), is in the attachment (which is a personal photo).

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Carol I
Posted: October 29, 2006 06:43 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

user posted image
(from eBay)
PM
mihnea
Posted: June 10, 2008 05:37 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

Need help with these blank Romanian Dog-Tags as you can see from this picture they are market ROMÂNIA.
They are made from aluminum 1mm thick and 33mm in diameter the hole is 2 mm in diameter.
user posted image

Now because they are marked with  and not Î makes me think they are Romanian WWII or modern replicas but because they didn’t hit the market in big numbers makes me think they are authentic. I don’t collect dog tags so I don’t know how they suppose to look but these are similar to the one posted by Regal Uniforma Collector on the first page of this topic.
PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: June 10, 2008 06:06 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

Hi mihnea,
As far as i can guess ( only guess!) those dogtags were casted from a metal, i`m not sure if it`s alluminium but i have a lot of coins from ww2 era from the same material. After the blanks were produced they were introduced in a machinery that stamped( a.k.a. engraved) them with a series of tetters and noumbers.
I`we seen simmilar dogtatgs stamped and unstamped and i think they are original, but kinda useless sad.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
mihnea
Posted: June 12, 2008 10:26 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

It's impossible to cast such small items from aluminum with this precision; Romanian WWII era coins were not made from aluminum but a alloy they oxidized to a dark blue color.

These dog tags are stamped from sheets of aluminum like coins.

Based on your thinking unissued WWII boots are "kinda useless". laugh.gif

Any more relevant opinions on this subject?

A better picture:
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: June 12, 2008 11:21 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

Well, you can`t reenact with them tongue.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: May 01, 2010 01:29 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Is it possible to make identifications from the dog tags being found in Russia ? Are these records available for research ? I recently aquired a dog tag from Russia. This tag was very interesting as it also included the soldiers name. I wonder if this soldier made it out alive and back to Romania ?

Infantry Regiment 29, enlisted 1937, ID number 2483, Soldier Ion Manole.

user posted image

This post has been edited by REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR on May 01, 2010 02:35 pm
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: May 01, 2010 02:37 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

reverse side

user posted image

PMYahooMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0342 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]