Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Causes of the 1916 defeat on the Romanian fronts

Causes of the 1916 defeat on the Romanian fronts
Romania's military and civil readiness [ 9 ]  [30.00%]
Romanian military and civil leaders [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
The Allies' help (Russia included) [ 4 ]  [13.33%]
Strategic options of the past (the alliance with the Central Powers, 2nd Balkan War etc.) [ 1 ]  [3.33%]
Strategic situation (the chosen moment to enter the war, the balance of forces etc.) [ 20 ]  [66.67%]
Other [ 1 ]  [3.33%]
Total Votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
Carol I
Posted on May 11, 2004 07:00 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

BTW, how would Carol I. attack directly Austria, bypassing Hungary?

Since Transylvania was ceded by Austria to Hungary only in 1867, attacking Austria in Transylvania in 1866 did not require a bypassing of Hungary.
PM
Dénes
Posted on May 12, 2004 12:41 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

If you really want to split hairs, (geographic) Transylvania was a region integral part of the Hungarian Kingdom, administered by the Austrians from 1711 to 1848 and 1849 to 1867. So, if Rumania would had attacked in 1866, it would had been an attack de jure against Austria and de facto against Hungary.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted on June 18, 2005 08:48 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Dan Po @ Apr 7 2004, 10:24 PM)

In 1916 the romanian weapons, infantry and artilery had - mainly- the Central Powers calibres. Was difficult for french and british factories to produce amunition with a different calibre, in war time ... for romanian army.

That Cadrillater was a classical example about how bad could be the vanity in political and strategical problems. After the cadrilater was anexed - Bulgaria was - automaticly - a small but very unpleased enemy who force Romania to have 2 fronts. If we look at the old Romanian kingdom map we can easely see what a nightmare was to defend that borders.

The main difficulty was how to get those weapons in Romania, not the calibre.

About Cadrilater, even if not annexed, Bulgaria would have still been an enemy. First because of her "contractual" obligations with the Central Powers, and secondly because our intervention in the 2nd Balkan War caused her to lose many other territories besided the Cadrilater.

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted on June 18, 2005 09:03 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Jun 18 2005, 08:48 PM)

However, I havent seen addressed on this thread the decision taken to halt the offensive in Transylvania and the subsequent confusions in administering the battle on 2 fronts.
Or the mistake in the initial formulation of the operational plan.

Also, an interesting point would be to know the complexity (length and covering area) of the railway infrastructure in Romania at that time, so as to see the possibilities it had to quickly transport troops between the 2 fronts. This info could also shed some light on the decisions taken.

--------------------
I
PM
Carol I
Posted on June 18, 2005 09:49 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Jun 18 2005, 10:03 PM)
Also, an interesting point would be to know the complexity (length and covering area) of the railway infrastructure in Romania at that time, so as to see the possibilities it had to quickly transport troops between the 2 fronts. This info could also shed some light on the decisions taken.

I remember reading some time ago that the 1916 railway infrastructure of Romania was deemed inadequate for the (then) modern warfare for several reasons. On one hand it was said to be quite distant from the frontline, thus not allowing a rapid deployment of forces. On the other hand it did not have any backup or reserve capabilities and hence once a line was taken by the enemy, it was no longer possible to communicate by railway with the area it serviced.
PM
Imperialist
Posted on June 19, 2005 08:40 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jun 18 2005, 09:49 PM)

I remember reading some time ago that the 1916 railway infrastructure of Romania was deemed inadequate for the (then) modern warfare for several reasons. On one hand it was said to be quite distant from the frontline, thus not allowing a rapid deployment of forces. On the other hand it did not have any backup or reserve capabilities and hence once a line was taken by the enemy, it was no longer possible to communicate by railway with the area it serviced.

Well, here are the main railways of the period:

user posted image

Notice that Silistra is not linked, or there may be an unmentioned small line to it... (?)

Also there is another line towards Severin. With this in mind its very interesting to see the back and forth shuffle from the Transylvanian to the Dobrogea front. I'm just wondering how effective and welcomed were those shuffles. I'll look into it when I have more time for this subject.

take care

This post has been edited by Imperialist on June 19, 2005 08:41 am

--------------------
I
PM
Carol I
Posted on June 19, 2005 03:56 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Here is a fragment from The Times History of the War describing the Romanian railways in 1916:

In this war of railway manoeuvres, Romania found herself under a serious disadvantage on either front. Along more than three-fourths of the Transylvanian boundary the enemy disposed of an excellent lateral railway running parallel to it, at a distance which seldom exceeds 25 miles. In Moldavia the lateral railway on which the Romanian armies had to rely ran more than 50 miles east of the frontier. In Wallachia east of Ploeshti, they had practically no lateral railway at their disposal—except the main railway from Bukarest to Craiova which runs through the centre of Wallachia and marks a line resembling the path of St. Paul "when the winds were contrary". Too give but one example, which, it is true, shows the position at its worst: the journey from the Tömös Pass to the Red Tower Pass, if made on the Transylvanian side, took one over some 80 miles of rail; the same journey, if made on the Romanian railway, took one over a distance of about 270 miles! Though not quite as bad, the discrepancy was yet very great also with regard to movements as between all the other passes. What this meant from the strategic point of view in a war in which the entire line of the frontier could not be held for lack of forces, does not require elaboration.
PM
Dénes
Posted on September 27, 2005 03:14 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Rumanian POWs captured by the Bulgarians.

Gen. Dénes

user posted image
sid guttridge
Posted on September 28, 2005 08:40 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Guys,

I would suggest that Romania was badly defeated in 1916 because:

1) Negotiations for its entry into the war dragged on for so long that the key moment when it might have had maximum impact - at the height of the Russian Brusilov offensive, Verdun and the Somme - was lost.

2) The Romanian Army was poorly led and inexperienced compared with all its opponents, who had had four years (Bulgarians, Turks) and two years (Austro-Hungarians, Germans) of recent campaign experience.

3) Romania's military infrastructure could not sustain its own over-expanded army and so the country was incapable of supporting a long war without Allied support.

By the time of Marasti, Marasesti and Oituz the following year the Romanian Army was much more competitive.

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
De Petrowski Alexander
Posted on October 24, 2005 04:42 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 706

How long were the borders of 1916 Romania with its Central Power neighbours actually, I've read on WARCHRON that it was 1440 km in total, The Western Front was about 700 km long by comparison.
PMEmail Poster
sid guttridge
Posted on October 25, 2005 04:53 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi DPA,

I don't know how long the frontier was, but as a disadvantage it works both ways.

Romania's force densities may look low by comparison with the Western Front, but they were much higher than those of either the Austro-Hungarian and Bulgarian forces initially opposing them. The excessively long front to be covered in Romania affected both sides, but the more experienced Central Powers proved better able to adapt to it.

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted on October 26, 2005 05:18 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (De Petrowski Alexander @ Oct 24 2005, 06:42 PM)
How long were the borders of 1916 Romania with its Central Power neighbours actually, I've read on WARCHRON that it was 1440 km in total, The Western Front was about 700 km long by comparison.

I don't have the numbers at hand now, but, from memory, that seems to be just about right.
De Petrowski Alexander
Posted on October 28, 2005 01:47 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 706

It is true that the Central Powers with their combat experience used the Romanian terrain better than the Romanians themselves.

Also their tactics and small arms and Artillery were initially better.
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted on November 14, 2005 07:08 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

How is the setting for the poll supposed to function?
The sum of all options should be 100%.
Just try to add [46.15%] + [23.08%] + [15.38%] + [7.69%] + [92.31%] ...

PM
Carol I
Posted on November 14, 2005 07:31 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Florin @ Nov 14 2005, 08:08 AM)
Just try to add [46.15%] + [23.08%] + [15.38%] + [7.69%] + [92.31%] ...

... then divide the individual fractions to their sum and there you are. biggrin.gif

It's bug from the latest forum upgrade. wink.gif
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0460 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]