Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Antonescu's relations with Hitler
Ghita Razvan
Posted: March 25, 2004 11:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 207

As the war started the gemans saw that if they were to have good alies against the Soviet Union, they had to supply and train them. As the war progressed the germans sent PZ III and PZ VI to the Romanian Army as they were in stock, so that the Romanians could face the Red Army. This might be the cause why the Romanian Army was supplied with PZ III, PZ VI, Panthers etc. in more numbers than other Axis Alies but it can also be explained by the trust that Hitler had in Ion Antonescu. He was held dear by the Fhurer till the end. Few leaders alied with Germany were held dear by Hitler. Was the nature of the relation with Antonescu that gret which would determan Hiltler to send german tanks in a moment of great importances to the Romanian Army.

Regards.
PMYahoo
dragos
Posted: March 25, 2004 11:53 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

There were no Panthers delivered to Romania. You can check the number and type of tanks delivered by the Germans to Romania here:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102

In general, the orders on equipment were not fully honored by Germany, the deliveries being slow or incomplete.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
CCJ
Posted: June 27, 2004 06:12 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 286

There are many pictures of Antonescu with Hilter and with German Generals. Why does Antonescu wear the Luftwaffe pilot's badge?
PM
Victor
Posted: June 27, 2004 07:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

There are many pictures of Antonescu with Hilter and with German Generals. Why does Antonescu wear the Luftwaffe pilot's badge?

I believe it is called the Pilot's Observer Badge with Diamonds. He was a certified aerial observer, so Goering awarded him this piece of jewelry. Goering was himself awarded the Mihai Viteazul Order in all three classes. I think he appreciated the order's cape more though. :wink:
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
johnny_bi
Posted: June 27, 2004 08:07 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

user posted image

This is a captured panther in Romanian colors?

Copy - paste :
http://www.clip-trade.ro/forum/viewthread....id=259&pid=2827
PM
dragos
Posted: June 27, 2004 08:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

This is a captured panther in Romanian colors?

It's a post war photo (10 May 1946). The Panthers were delivered by the Soviets.

But what have this to do with our current topic (Antonescu and Hitler) ?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
CCJ
Posted: June 27, 2004 10:39 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

As far as being awarded the Luftwaffe P/O w/ diamonds.. that makes since. Wonder why von Kleist received the Michael the Brave order in all three grades. I can see Goering but not Kleist. Manstein get the 2nd and 3rd and Kleist gets all three... :shock: Doesn't make since.

Thanks for the reply.
PM
mabadesc
Posted: June 28, 2004 12:47 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Inspite of what official requirements were stated for being awarded MV 1st class, I think this class had nothing to do with combat valor, but rather it was reserved for officers holding very high political positions. During WWII, the only two Romanian recipients were King Mihai I and Antonescu (both political leaders).

With respect to Goering and von Kleist, they also held high governmental positions in Germany. Manstein didn't.

That's my opinion, at least...
PM
CCJ
Posted: June 28, 2004 12:58 am
Quote Post

Sergent

You may be right.

You mean all but 2 of the 1st class awards were to foreigners. :question:
PM
Victor
Posted: June 28, 2004 07:51 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

During WWII, yes.
CCJ
Posted: June 28, 2004 11:08 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

That doesn't seem right. I would think many Romanian generals would have been deserving of the 1st class.
PM
Victor
Posted: June 29, 2004 05:29 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The first class was mostly a diplomatic award. The 2nd class was practically the highest military award, as shown by the small numbers it was issued in.
Carol I
Posted: July 04, 2004 09:04 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

During WWII, the only two Romanian recipients were King Mihai I and Antonescu (both political leaders).

As king, wasn't Mihai the Grand Master of the Order of Michael the Brave and therefore the de jure holder of all its classes? In these conditions I do not think he could be named 'a recipient' of the order. Who signed his award certificate?
PM
Victor
Posted: July 04, 2004 09:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Probably he did. biggrin.gif
It was the new version of the Order, so that is why he was awarded all three classes.
Carol I
Posted: July 04, 2004 09:10 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

Probably he did. biggrin.gif
It was the new version of the Order, so that is why he was awarded all three classes.

Do you happen to know the decree number by which King Michael has awarded ... King Michael ( :wink: ) the order? Or it was something that was done de jure and without a decree (i.e., automatically implied by the Grand Master position of the king)?
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0334 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]