Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> romanians in hungarian army during the ww2
Dan Po
Posted: March 22, 2004 09:05 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 226

After 1940 the young romanian men from NW of Transilvania was incorporated in hungarian army. In my childhood I talk with a few of them and the majority was very proud about their military service.

For eg. My grandpa - romanian - from Bihor county - fought in WW2 as hungarian soldier becouse after Wien, 1940 he was under hungarian jurisdiction.

Maybe mr Denes can help us with some informations (statistics, etc) about those - in fact - romanian soldiers.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: March 22, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Apparently about 70,000 Romanian soldiers were drafted in the Hungarian army in WWII, most in work companies.

After WWII, over 13,000 Romanian POWs (from the Hungarian army) returned to Romania from Soviet captivity.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: March 22, 2004 09:27 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

PM
Dénes
Posted: April 13, 2004 06:39 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I found info on a highly decorated Hungarian soldier, whose name and place of birth might indicate that he was a Rumanian ethnic:
Gábor Krisán, tizedes (Corporal), born on Jan. 21, 1919 at Gyula, Hungary.
He was the 10th recipient of the prestigious 'Magyar Arany Vitézségi Érem' (Hungarian Gold Medal for Bravery).
user posted image

On August 13, 1941, as an NCO in the 2nd Company of the 3rd Mechanized Battalion, he single handedly destroyed a Soviet artillery position and spotter near River Bug, with rifle fire and hand grenades, being killed during the action. He was burried at Suhoj Yelanetz.

Copy of his decoration proposal:
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dan Po
Posted: February 25, 2005 10:02 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Here s a photo of my grandfather, Pontos Gavril, (or Pontos Gabor in his hungarian official papers) from Sarsig, Bihor. I don t know too much about him becouse he died in the '50s in an accident. He fought in a hungarian regiment based on Debrecen. I don t know wich one.

Unfortunately its a low quality photo, without too much details (eg - the decoration).

This post has been edited by Dan Po on February 25, 2005 10:07 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
Dan Po
Posted: February 27, 2005 05:48 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

I wonder whether my grandpa s uniform is a cavalery one .... maybe somebody will give me an answer. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dan Po on February 27, 2005 05:49 pm
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1118 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]