Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian-Russian clashes during WW1
petru
Posted: March 17, 2004 05:43 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 149

Very interesting article. This is the first I have ever read of Soviets and Romanians fighting in 1918. A suggestion, I would put this in the military operations section of this website.

Actually Romanian-Russian relations were not really that cordially. Reportedly Alexeev declared Berthold that “Make the Romanians understand that Romania is defending on Sireth”. That was before the Germans broke on the Jiu Valley.

In 1917, once the Russian army collapsed the discipline was completely broken (not to mention that they were not too disciplined anyway). Therefore Romania had over half of million Russians well armed, who wanted to go home. They were supposed to follow particular routes, and in some cases there were minor clashes, which resulted always in disarming the Russians. The situation was more complicated in other areas (in Danube Delta, Galati, even in Iasi there was concern regarding a Russian attack at a certain moment).

In 1918 Romanian troops entered Basarabia at the request of Sfatul Tarii. This led to a state of war between the Soviets and Romania. Even the Treaty from Bucharest allowed us to keep a number of division for operations in Basarabia.
PM
Victor
Posted: March 17, 2004 07:56 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Very interesting article. This is the first I have ever read of Soviets and Romanians fighting in 1918. A suggestion, I would put this in the military operations section of this website.

Actualy there were many border skirmishes and even pretty serious clashes from time to time.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: March 18, 2004 08:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

In The Times History of the War I have found one report about such a serious clash. Towards the end of 1917 about 5000 pillaging Russian soldiers attacked Botosani (or Dorohoi, or maybe both) and regular fighting took place with the Romanian battalion defending the town. Machine guns and artillery were reportedly used on both sides. The Russians were eventually defeated, but many casulaties were counted on both sides.
PM
Carol I
Posted: March 18, 2004 08:31 am
Quote Post

General de armata

I wonder if we should initiate a new thread on Romanian-Soviet fights after the Russian collapse in WWI.
PM
petru
Posted: March 18, 2004 04:44 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

In The Times History of the War I have found one report about such a serious clash. Towards the end of 1917 about 5000 pillaging Russian soldiers attacked Botosani (or Dorohoi, or maybe both) and regular fighting took place with the Romanian battalion defending the town. Machine guns and artillery were reportedly used on both sides. The Russians were eventually defeated, but many casulaties were counted on both sides.

The most serious clash was around Galati. There were other clashes at Pascani, Spataresti and Mihaileni. The last one was in Dorohoi County. These were the clashes west of river Pruth (in Moldova). The losses were 16 dead and 57 wounded. I will try to post something more detailed about the clashes.
PM
Carol I
Posted: March 18, 2004 05:04 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

I did not say that the Dorohoi clash was the most serious one. I was only re-telling the story in The Times History of the War.

Anyhow, I am looking forward for your details regarding this and the other clashes. Thanks.
PM
dragos
Posted: March 18, 2004 07:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

In June 1917, serious fights took place between Romanian troops, assited by French mission, and bolshevized Russian troops, at Falticeni. I will be back with details later smile.gif
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
petru
Posted: March 18, 2004 08:33 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

The dissolution of the Russian Army and the retreat to Basarabia led to major disorders behind the front lines. The first measure was to occupy the sectors of the front left empty by the Russians. Therefore the whole front was defended by Romanians: from Bucovina to Bicaz there was Ist Army Corp (Div. 9, 7 and 15, and 1st Calarasi Reg.), headquarter Botosani; from Bicaz to Muncel it was IInd Army, with IInd and IVth Army Corp (Div. 1, 3, 6, 8, 12 and 2nd Calarasi Brigade), headquarter Bacau; then Ist Army up to River Prut, with 3rd and 5th Army corps (div. 2,4,5,10, 14 and 1 and 6 rosiori brigades, unmounted). From Prut to the Black Sea the front was held by marine detachments. Behind the front lines there was VIth Army Corp with Div. 11 and 13, 1st and 2nd cavalry division and 5th calarasi regiment. The reserve pf the General Headquarter consisted of 1st and 2nd vanatori division, 16th Infantry Division and a brigade of volunteers from Transylvania (all new units).

In middle of December a bolshevik committee was created at Socola (south to Iasi). Against this committee Scerbacev created a coalition committee made of delegates of all nationalities on the front. On the 21st of December, Scerbacev convoked a meeting with the Bolshevik committee. The meeting degenerated and the Romanian guard arrested the whole Bolshevik committee. Reportedly two Bolshevik officers entered the room Scerbacev was in, but were quickly disarmed. Following this attempt Scerbacev asked for the disarmament of the Bolshevik camp (over 3000 people well armed). This request was also supported by the ministers of the Antante states. During the night it was taken the decision to disarm the Russians. Next day (22nd December) the Russians did not resist, and there were no clashes. They were disarmed and sent over Prut and Nistru.
PM
petru
Posted: March 18, 2004 08:38 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

In June 1917, serious fights took place between Romanian troops, assited by French mission, and bolshevized Russian troops, at Falticeni. I will be back with details later

June 1917?

I know that following the clash at Pascani, a detachment about 10 000 strong with about 100 guns, which was retreating towards Bucovina, was defeated at Spataresti, close to Falticeni. But that January, 27 and 28, 1918.
PM
Victor
Posted: March 19, 2004 09:13 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The most important clash between Romanian and Bolshevik forces during the takeover of Bessarabia took place at Tighina/Bender. After 3 days of battle, the Romanian troops occupied the city and port on 20 January/2 February 1918. Gen. Brosteanu reported the Bolshevik casualties at about 10,000, an exaggeration most likely. The Romanian casualties were minimal.
petru
Posted: March 19, 2004 05:17 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

I was referring mainly at the clashes west of Prut river, which were essentially between two allied armies. The clash that you are referring at was west of Nistru River. At January, 26 following the Romanian intervention in Basarabie, the soviet government broke the diplomatic relationships with Romania. They also announced that the Romanian treasure, kept at Moscow could not be obtained anymore by the “Romanian oligarchy”, and gen. Scerbacev was declared enemy of the people and outcast. Therefore during the clashes beyond Prut it was a state of war between Romania and the soviet government.
PM
Victor
Posted: March 19, 2004 08:41 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The quote which started this topic was about clkashed between Romanian and Soviet clashes in 1918.
dragos
Posted: March 19, 2004 10:45 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

June 1917?

I was wrong about June but it was still in 1917. It was June which jumped in my eyes at the first glance on the text.

Starting from the spring of 1917, the bolshevized Russian troops started to abandon their units and positions, retreating towards Prut. Some of these elements passed through Falticeni, towards Dolhasca. At Falticeni, these troops were disarmed by Romanian Army, after which they were let go on. A large number of Russian troops coming from Bukovina, heading to Gura Humorului and Cornu-Luncii, being aware that they will be disarmed, started to concentrate at Baia, Fantana Mare and Sasca. A large group of bolshevized Russian troops formed there, consisting of infantry, cavalry, artillery and other auxiliary troops. Insubordination and terror among civilians broke out in this area. The villagers informed that these troops were planing to break in force through Falticeni. Falticeni was an important communication center of railroad and motor way. The garrison was made of reserve elements of the 16th and 56th Infantry Regiments, with insufficient effective to mount a defense in case of Russian attack. In June 1917, one machinegun company of 2nd Frontier-guards Regiment was deployed in the town. In July, a group of officers belonging to the French Mission in Romania, commanded by General Berthelot, also arrived at Falticeni. The French group brought machineguns, weapons, hand grenades and ammunition. When the Russian started to fire with the artillery at the Romanian positions and at the town of Falticeni, it was with no effect, since most of the experienced Russian artillery commanders were assasinated. The following day, mounted cossacks, 7000-8000 in numbers, charged the Romanian positions, with battle cries and waving red banners. As they approached at 400 meters of Romanian positions, the 48 machineguns and all riflemen opened fire, covering the field with a carpet of bodies. Following attempts of the cossacks shared the same fate. During the afternoon, a Russian negociation team accepted that their troops to be disarmed in order to pass.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
johnny_bi
Posted: March 20, 2004 03:20 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

Any Romanian defections to the Bolshevic cause?
PM
Carol I
Posted: March 20, 2004 05:38 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

...a bolshevik committee was created at Socola (south to Iasi)...

What a premonition! Now the place is a psychiatric institution. :wink:

Sorry for the off topic post, but it seemed too good not to post it. :oops:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0437 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]