Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Contribute!
Dr_V
Posted: April 26, 2004 09:37 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Come on, publishing a book isn't such a big problem those days. I'm not saying that Cmd. Iordache doesn't tell the truth, but there are smaller editors that can offer him a really small price. :!:

My father published a book (medical - surgery) in January and I was the one that made the computer formatting and found the editor, so I'm pretty informed on the subject. If Cmd. Iordaches book is b/w or text only the prices are more than affordable (that wasn't the case for my fathers book, we had tons of intra-operatory color pics sad.gif ).

Concretely, for a medium series (500-2.000 books) a 300 pages b/w book is under 100.000 lei/piece, maybe even closer to 50.000. And many small editors accept payment in 2-3 rates over 6 months or so.
If Cmd. Iordache isn't seeking a big profit from the book, I'm sure there are many interested to buy a hystorical book that coveres such a little known area for 3$ apiece. Damn, there are tons of trash like "pink collection" books that are 2-3 times more expansive and sell like crazy. At 100.000 as final price this book will be amongst the cheapest on the market :!:

:idea: If the computer formatting is a problem (it's usually expansive) I volunteer to help him do it. If the matherial is too large, I'm sure we'll find amongst this forum members a few more computer skilled volontaires to get the job done. It's the least we can do to offer some concrete support. What do you think? :?:
PM
C-2
Posted: April 27, 2004 07:31 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Iordache is a retired old man,who has a small pention and barely survive!
PMUsers Website
petru
Posted: May 14, 2004 03:42 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

I recently met a guy who wrote a book about the eruption of Krakatoa and he needed to document the eruption. One of his first steps was to publish an add in an Dutch newspaper that he was looking for documents about the eruption (letters, personal journals, newspaper, eventually artifacts etc). I think this was a good ideea, and an add in a Romanian newspaper, asking for personal documents from the war period would bring an important amount of information.
PM
C-2
Posted: May 14, 2004 09:07 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Not a bad idea,but some will ask for money...
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: June 12, 2004 07:19 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I have changed the topic's title and wish to broaden my invitation to contribute to the site. If you have knowledge of an interesting subject regarding Romanian military during WWII, that is not covered by the present information on the website, please write it down and we will publish it. Help us make the site more interesting. There are already several members who contributed to the Medals and Awards section.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mihai
Posted: June 14, 2004 05:22 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 30

[quote]That's why the best is to publish the interviews/memories - with the veteran's consent! - on the 'net. It's (almost) free...[/quote]

Free? What method did you show your thanks will?
I'm interested in a method
Mihai
PM
Der Maresal
Posted: August 11, 2004 06:00 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Is as have said before - I met a Romanian pilot veteran, at a romanian campus. He had come all the way from the united states where he lives, and he was more then willing to talk about his expericenes. He flew a 'Fiesler Storch' - lieson aircraft during the war. He said - that plane could land on 15 meters of runway! (STOL, now adays)

His name is 'Burghiu' or Burgiu, something like that, I will ask someone who knows him better and find out.
He had told me he burned all his wartime photographs ( :cry: :cry: ), because of fear after the war.
He still lives, tough i don't know for how long. He seemed to be in good health, tough very old when i saw him. His memory was great, he spoke vividly about his adventures. I might meet him again next year when i go to that campus, it seems he goes there every year. I will see if i can 'extract' some more information from him. :wink:

A distant relative in the familly, was a Glider instructor, I think during the war and after. His name was 'Iliutã" (t being tz)..He died many years ago. I'll ask more about him too
PMMSN
Minerval
Posted: September 11, 2004 07:22 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 338

(...)out there find veterans willing to share their wartime experiences, record them and we will be more than happy to publish them on the site.

Greetings!
I would be more than happy to help you in this matter. I will have to make a few phone calls and some trips, and, basicly, in a few weeks this operation should be succesefull.
Aur-voire!
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Chetnik
Posted: December 26, 2004 01:08 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 97

Hi there, although it might be a little late to respond on this subject I just wanted to say I think it's important. Ove here in the U.S. Every veteran of an American soldier has been that can be done has been done. My interest in Axis states like Romania and Hungry has been with me for years. I have already made a pilgramage to Italy to visit veterans of the RSI government. To me these men are worth spending time with. I wish I could I spend all the time just going from country to country visiting such veterans of this war. In my view the day of the REAL SOLDIER is gone. Now it's all techinical and there are lots of ways for troops to escape danger from almost any weather condition.
Back then soldier from WW II had to face these same climates with less than half of what the common soldier uses today.

I wish I could find some Romanian WW II veterans living where I live but I doubt it. Not that I'm not proud of the men and women who fought for the U.S. but like I said, it's been done. I wish there could be more interest here in those "other" Axis countries. It seems to be all one big "Time Life wet-dream" over here. America, Germany,Japan,England, and Russian... this is the "dream team" I guess. I hope those who live in the smaller former Axis countries will record as much as possible now and then work them into future books in the future.
Hell, this web site can be a great distributer of books, I'd buy one.

Mike
PM
dragos
Posted: February 08, 2005 05:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Veterans are selling their free train tickets in the Bucharest North Station. There is an oportunity to meet there some of the remaining veterans (even if such sad circumstances).
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Indrid
Posted: February 09, 2005 07:22 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

yes i am aware of this situation. my grandfather was offered half the ticket price in order to transport that person to the adress he desired...
PMICQ
spooky
Posted: September 22, 2005 04:57 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 677

I visited werry much sites and i saw thiskind of things. (example:www.BBC.co.uk;at ww2 history there is a page where people can write their(or their relatives`s)war memories)It would be great if u can do this too on this site. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: September 22, 2005 05:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

We would if there were any Romanian WWII veterans surfing the net. Unfortunately many don't even know what the Internet is.
spooky
Posted: September 23, 2005 10:26 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 677

Yeah, you`re right.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: September 23, 2005 01:50 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

But what volunteers can do is go to veteran associations and interview veterans there and then submit their work on the website. biggrin.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0444 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]