Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Contribute!
Victor
Posted: March 05, 2004 08:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Unfortunately Romanian veterans are slowly passing away. Because of the long Communist period, most of their memories remained unknown (for the June 1941-August 1944 period), unlike those of veterans from other armies, our posibilities of learning their experiences are limited.

Until it is too late something must be done. Go out there find veterans willing to share their wartime experiences, record them and we will be more than happy to publish them on the site.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Indrid
Posted: March 05, 2004 08:50 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

how about publishing a volume with collective memories? i think it would be interesting
PMICQ
Dénes
Posted: March 05, 2004 08:57 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

If you want to find veterans to interview them, but don't know how to start it, go first to your local 'Military Circle'. I did the same thing (way back) and after an initial reluctance (like: "Why are you interested in them?" Or, "do you want to buy their medals?", etc.), it lead me to some success.
Another way is simply to place a small ad in your local newspaper.

Indeed, as Victor rightly put it, time is working against them (virtually every day counts!) and we should find them until it's not too late...

And I suggest to proceed with them gently, with respect and humbleness.
C-2
Posted: March 05, 2004 08:58 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

how about publishing a volume with collective memories?  i think it would be interesting

And who will pay for it?
Who will buy it?
Exept us of corse!
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: March 05, 2004 08:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

That's why the best is to publish the interviews/memories - with the veteran's consent! - on the 'net. It's (almost) free...
Indrid
Posted: March 05, 2004 09:04 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

you guys are right about the profits...zero..costs..a lot
PMICQ
C-2
Posted: March 05, 2004 09:41 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

A guy name Iordache,wrote a book about all the ARR pilots he could find something about.He wants no profit and cannot find a sponsor for the book.
PMUsers Website
Florin
Posted: March 06, 2004 05:31 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

...And who will pay for it?
Who will buy it?
Exept us of corse!

A guy who lives in Australia, Sid Guddridge (I exchanged messages with him on feldgrau.com, before using my energy here) visited Bucharest few times. He was dissapointed to see how little interest was even at the Museum of Military History, about collecting the memories of the veterans. He said he discussed in person with the museum staff. He is very well informed about Romania, for a foreigner.
On feldgrau.com, from time to time, there were questions about Romania in WW2.
I am more optimistic than C-2. I hope to don't be an unrealistic optimism.
PM
Florin
Posted: March 06, 2004 05:35 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

A guy name Iordache,wrote a book about all the ARR pilots he could find something about.He wants no profit and cannot find a sponsor for the book.

This means the Romanian publishing houses are skeptical about selling the book. Is everything so dark?! For a nation with 23 million people, should be at least about 10,000 with such historical interests.

A last moment idea: What about telling to Mr. Iordache, or to anybody else, to find newspapers to print these stories. In each newspaper a part - a serial.
PM
Indrid
Posted: March 06, 2004 07:06 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

well, i haven`t bought a book for about 3 years.... extremly expensive. all i buy is from ...old book store(anticariat) these days
PMICQ
cnflyboy2000
Posted: March 06, 2004 09:51 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

You may have seen there is a big market now for self- published books and a corresponding number of so-called "Print on Demand" (POD) publishing houses have rushed in to fill it.

Details at:

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/printondemand.html

It can be fairly inexpensive, and might be a good avenue for something like this, particularly if someone has something ready to go, like the pilot's book. (I'd be very interested in seeing that one).

The advantage of this system is you get an ISBN number for the book; so it's then "out there" for anyone. :cheers:
PMYahoo
Victor
Posted: March 06, 2004 10:37 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

The name is commander Constantin Iordache.
dragos
Posted: March 06, 2004 01:36 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

If you want to find veterans to interview them, but don't know how to start it, go first to your local 'Military Circle'.

That is ANVR quarters in your locality (ANVR = Asociatia Nationala a Veteranilor de Razboi)
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Dan Po
Posted: April 26, 2004 11:13 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

[quote]A guy name Iordache,wrote a book about all the ARR pilots he could find something about.He wants no profit and cannot find a sponsor for the book.[/quote]

Can we put this book at the internet ?

Its much more than nothing ...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: April 26, 2004 08:21 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Iordache is traing to publish it without financial demands.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0333 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]