Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> opening of a language translating section
jivana
Posted: November 23, 2005 03:15 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 639

I´ve been following the forum posts for some months:

I find here English, Romanian, Hungarian, German, French, Russian, Polish, Spanish, Italian etc. speaking people and in my opinion this is wonderful, but I also read critical statements of people who would like to contribute with a post and are not able, because they don´t understand the language.

Also some Romanian veterans or people who know a lot about the here discussed topics don´t speak English and cannot share their experiences.

Therefore I would suggest to have a place where you can post texts (not too long) that you want to have translated, either to understand a posting or to make oneself understood.

Therefore I would suggest to open a department of translation in this forum.

Greetings
PMEmail Poster
darius1941
Posted: November 26, 2005 12:10 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 725

I have only been a member of this forum for about a week ,so Iam trying too catch up on all of the subject that have been posted over the pass years by its members and I would like too tell everyone that you are doing a fine job.I just read the posting by members who want this forum to make changes from english to romanian.Allow me too explain my feeling so you get a point of view from someone in the u.s. first I have been reenacting ww2 since 1979 and about 10 years ago I started to get a interest in the romanian army and I decided too start reenacting this impression but first I had too do research and then put a uniform together.It sound easy at first but believe me there was no information on the subject,very little written about the romanian army and what I could find was told by the GERMANS and not by romanians so that information is not going to be very good.There was also not that many photos too use as a reference but with all those setbacks I did manage too start this impression and attend a number of eastern front events here on the east coast. I have always had a lot of questions about the romanian army but no where to find answers.Then I come across this forum and now Iam finally finding answers to those questions and that is only possible because it is in english!But I do want too say that the romanian members of this forum do have a point that there are veteran who story needs to be told and every effort has to be made to make this possible.If they do not speak english then they should be able to get there story across in romanian if that what it takes.But us members of the forum who do not speak romanian also need too have this information so a translation will need to be done.Alot of work but I feel it is well worth it.And I would also like too say to the romanian members of this forum that one of the pass posting stated that there are more romanians who speak english than non-romanian who speak romanian,this is true only because romanian was never offered as a course in the schools here.It is not a matter of not wanting too learn too speak romanian but there is no one here to teach it.I would very much like too learn too speak romanian but the only one who will teach me is myself,at least for now.Let me just say this,that having been reenacting ww2 German for many years and seeing how much the history of germany fighting in ww2 has dominated alot here in the U.S. it is a rewarding experience to start reseaching the romanian army of ww2! Thanks
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Victor
Posted: November 29, 2005 02:22 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I don't think a new section is necessary. I believe a pinned topic in the General Discussion area would be enough.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
SiG
Posted: December 03, 2005 12:13 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

QUOTE (darius1941 @ Nov 26 2005, 12:10 AM)
It is not a matter of not wanting too learn too speak romanian but there is no one here to teach it.I would very much like too learn too speak romanian but the only one who will teach me is myself,at least for now.

Perhaps this could help you. biggrin.gif
Learn Romanian
PMEmail Poster
jivana
Posted: December 03, 2005 01:06 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Hello SiG, this is a very good link to start, thanks smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
SiG
Posted: December 03, 2005 07:00 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

You're wellcome! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Jeff_S
Posted: December 05, 2005 09:46 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

QUOTE (darius1941 @ Nov 26 2005, 12:10 AM)
It is not  a matter of not wanting too learn too speak romanian but there is no one here to teach it.I would very much like too learn too speak romanian but the only one who will teach me is myself,at least for now.

It sounds from your post as though you are in the US. I can say the "Teach Yourself" book series has a good "Teach Yourself Romanian" volume that you can get with 2 CDs.

While that series varies in quality IMHO, this one is a good one. It's focused on the needs of a traveller (no surprise there) but goes way beyond what a phrasebook would give you. It includes verb conjugations, different tenses and a useful amount of grammar. It does have an English (as opposed to American) bias, for example "farmacie" is translated as "chemist's", any American would say "pharmacy".

If you do the whole book you will have enough to get yourself in to trouble in Romania, and puzzle out Web pages or books.

I found mine in a large bookstore (Borders I think, could be Barnes & Noble), or you can find it online.

Now if there was only a useful Romanian-English dictionary...
PMYahoo
Carol I
Posted: December 05, 2005 10:28 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Dec 5 2005, 10:46 PM)
Now if there was only a useful Romanian-English dictionary...

Do you think this might help?

user posted image

It appears that it is destined to a school-level audience and is available from Litera Internaţional Publishing House.
PM
Jeff_S
Posted: December 06, 2005 09:00 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

QUOTE (Carol I @ Dec 5 2005, 10:28 PM)
Do you think this might help?

user posted image

It appears that it is destined to a school-level audience and is available from Litera Internaţional Publishing House.

It might, thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine (a Romanian librarian) suggested one published by Teora, but said that none of them were really good.
PMYahoo
Carol I
Posted: December 06, 2005 09:36 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Dec 6 2005, 10:00 PM)
It might, thanks for the suggestion.

You are welcome, although I have to admit that I have not seen the electronic dictionary from Litera Internaţional to have an opinion as to how good it is. But, if you have more trust in printed dictionaries, he same publishing house also has such dictionaries by the same author (Irina Panovf).

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Dec 6 2005, 10:00 PM)
It might, thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine (a Romanian librarian) suggested one published by Teora, but said that none of them were really good.

I have some old pocket dictionaries from Teora and they are indeed far from being complete.
PM
Jeff_S
Posted: December 07, 2005 07:52 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

QUOTE (Carol I @ Dec 6 2005, 09:36 PM)
You are welcome, although I have to admit that I have not seen the electronic dictionary from Litera Internaţional to have an opinion as to how good it is. But, if you have more trust in printed dictionaries, he same publishing house also has such dictionaries by the same author (Irina Panovf).

Aha, I had not looked closely enough to see that it was a CD rather than a book cover. My experience with electronic dictionaries has been that they are better than nothing, but not as good as a serious printed dictionary. Yes, I know your're wondering how such a Luddite got on to the forum.

I have some old pocket dictionaries from Teora and they are indeed far from being complete.

Teora has some larger ones on their Web site, but if they are badly edited, all this means is that they are big and useless rather than small and useless. Still, it cannot be worse than the Hippocrene that I have... four schoolchildren could write a better dictionary in a weekend
PMYahoo
jivana
Posted: December 14, 2005 09:56 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

"Acesti bravi oficieri, cu tot focul cuirasatului turcesc care-i zarise, reusira a se apropia de dansul si a-l isbi in coasta cu o torpila "Whitehead" care-l sparse si afunda cu totul".

Can somebody please translate that? It was posted by Imperialist on Dec 6th 2005

And please, can someone tell me how can I set a link to that post?
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: December 14, 2005 10:07 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (jivana @ Dec 14 2005, 09:56 PM)
"Acesti bravi oficieri, cu tot focul cuirasatului turcesc care-i zarise, reusira a se apropia de dansul si a-l isbi in coasta cu o torpila "Whitehead" care-l sparse si afunda cu totul".

Can somebody please translate that? It was posted by Imperialist on Dec 6th 2005

And please, can someone tell me how can I set a link to that post?

"These brave officers, in spite of the fire coming from the turkish cruiser which had spotted them, managed to get close to it and smash it on the side with a Whitehead torpedo which broke [the cruiser] and sank it."

On the second question, click "Posted" and copy the link that appears.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
jivana
Posted: December 15, 2005 12:00 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

O.k. I´ll try:

look here

It works!

Thank you!
PMEmail Poster
darius1941
Posted: December 16, 2005 11:53 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 725

Thanks too everyone who gave a reply to my posting dated a couple of weeks ago,about teaching oneself romanian or I should say myself! I found a set of tapes and bought them so I may have a start and I will look into a dictionary soon.If Iam going to keep reenacting ww2 romanian I should know the lanquage.Thanks again.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0351 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]