Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Army use of railways in Transylvania
Oliver W
Posted: November 18, 2017 05:43 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 4069

Hello!

I am interested in the history of the Romanian Railways, but also their service during the period 1916-1919.

Can someone help me? I am wondering if the Romanian Army used the Hungarian railways for supply during the 1916 campaign while the occupied part of Transylvania.

I have looked in a few sources, including the Romanian history of military logistics, and there is no mention if the railways that were captured at the beginning of the campaign were used for supply or if they were damaged?

I only saw one short reference to a "supply depot" being established in Brasov in September 1916.

Many Thanks,

Oliver
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: November 22, 2017 12:48 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Without actually knowing it, I would be quite confident that the distance between the tracks of the Romanian railroads of that time matched exactly the distance between tracks of the Austro-Hungarian railroads built in Transylvania and Banat.
Several reasons converge to this, even though I did not read it anywhere.
As result any train could travel with no technical problems from Romania to Austria-Hungary, or vice-versa.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0345 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]