Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (28) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Battlefield finds in the ground...
Von Maybach
Posted: January 27, 2004 05:32 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 209

A site with an interesting insight in battlefield relic hunting, and it's dark side. Although the findings are interesting there is also a grim part of it, as the burried equipment comes attached with human remains on it (sorry, grim humour..., not suited for this situation). Also, when buying WW2 relics that look rusty as they were burried (not the case in Romania, we don't have an "industry" in WW2 relics hunting) try considering their origin... I think most of these things might be haunted... never the less... the prospect of finding a WW2 tank (even If just a russian one ) almost intact worth considering...

http://militaria.chat.ru/digging.htm
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: January 28, 2004 11:28 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 168

hi
I went on the site below and I found it very interesting. the picture with the tank was amazing. I am a collector of ww2 items but I never bought any thing rusty or out of the ground. but I am interested in going back to my home land Romania and metal detect some battle fields and see if I could fine some rusty stuff. I would put it back because I know they are hunted with bad spirits. you were saying that in Romania is OK to do that? go and find some relics, with out the cops being on your case?
Dragos
PMYahooMSN
Von Maybach
Posted: January 29, 2004 05:04 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Well... It's more complicated than it looks. First of all I don't think in Romania were any "official" relic diging so I don't know exactly what sort of papers do you need. For sure It's against the law to keep any weapons and ammunition (you must give them to the police to be destroyed) you may find (no matter how damaged these might be) -but I don't know if it's against the law to go diging for them -maybe another forum member can help us on this matter. And also, since starting last year owning a metal detector is illegal, too in Romania... again you need a special permit for this... and when going to police to obtain it you must consider paying a huge bribe. And If you find a tank I don't know what you should do , just because never thought at this here...

And as we are talking about relic hunting... my father took me to a river near my grandparent's house and told me that when he was a child they used to find bullets and one day he found a pistol there, in the water, but got scared and threw it away a couple of days later -and a few years ago, the army dug from that river a Sherman tank and a couple of projectiles... ... this makes you think smile.gif
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: January 29, 2004 06:26 am
Quote Post

Sergent

the same story applies to my grandfather story he once told me, that when he was a young boy during the war he use to live at a train station case his dad was a "ceferist" la CFR. he said that during that time German trains with German troops use to pass by there and one day as he was going with the cows to feed them he found a hand gun "Lugar" so he took it home. then at the end of the war his dad berried the gun in the ground so the soviets wont find it and put them in jail. for many years now I was wandering what if I had a metal detector and go search for it and see if I could find some rusty old gun, its interesting. my grandfather also told me that there was a big battle la Feliac that's in Cluj Napoca between the Romanian army and Germans in 1944. I was also thinking to go there and see if I could fine not a tank but maybe some medals or a nice rusty knife of a helmet small stuff, I don't care for ammunition your right its to dangerous.
PMYahooMSN
boonicootza
Posted: January 29, 2004 10:02 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

And also, since starting last year owning a metal detector is illegal, too in Romania... again you need a special permit for this... and when going to police to obtain it you must consider paying a huge bribe.  

:x :x :x ..and I was on the point of getting myself one....
Do you know what department of the police i should go to for this permit?

Peace!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Von Maybach
Posted: January 29, 2004 10:04 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

then at the end of the war his dad berried the gun in the ground so the soviets wont find it and put them in jail. for many years now I was wandering what if I had a metal detector and go search for it and see if I could find some rusty old gun, its interesting

What if he buried it in some kind of plastic bag or a box? (that's how I would do it...) Imagine finding that Luger in good condition...
PM
Von Maybach
Posted: January 29, 2004 10:06 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Do you know what department of the police i should go to for this permit?

Sorry, I don't know... I only heared this at the news...
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: January 29, 2004 05:38 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

yea that would be special if I could find that in good condition. I have to talk to my grandfather a bit more to see if he could remember more exactly what spot the gun was buried.
PMYahooMSN
mg 42
Posted: January 29, 2004 06:06 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 164

I heard from a local in Sasca Montana that he found a Schmeisser submachine gun and a bayonet in the attic of an old abandoned house a few years ago... he said he wanted to sell them but I didn't meet him again because he moved from the village :cry:
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: January 29, 2004 06:51 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

yea that must be preaty sad
PMYahooMSN
Von Maybach
Posted: January 31, 2004 06:36 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Another site with great battlefield relics and stories about them:
http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page3.html
-makes me jump out of my house with a showel and go digging smile.gif
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: February 01, 2004 03:44 am
Quote Post

Sergent

wow what a great site! I wander how did those people find all of those things. and where?. I was wandering if in Romanian you could find such things too.
PMYahooMSN
Von Maybach
Posted: February 01, 2004 09:00 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

I am certain that you can find things like that in Romania, too -my heart tells me that smile.gif . The problem is that no one is looking/digging for them. That's a shame. We should organise such digs in Romania as soon as possible. I would sign up imediately! smile.gif I'm dreaming of how would be to post OUR finds here on the forum in a near future...
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: February 01, 2004 10:02 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

so good to know that I am not the only one who wants to do something like that. every group has to start some where if you make such a group I would gladly join in, and start searching for battle field relics. we have the same interest that's good we should talk more about this stuff. I'm a collector of military items and I love history, I'm sure we can find good subjects to talk about. here's my email if you want drop me a line. smile.gif
dragos_romania1984@yahoo.com
my name is Dragos what's your?.
PMYahooMSN
RHaught
Posted: March 19, 2004 01:18 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 93

You are allowed to dig in Romania, my wife, who is from Iasi, took me to Tigru-Frumos the last time I went to visit her family. I contacted the embassy here in the US and there is no national paperwork to be done just local but was told "off the record" to pay a very high "price" for permission from local administrators and plus you would need to have permission of landowners if on private land. Have several SS and Heer issued maps of Romania and have pinpointed several unit locations now, wife's grandfather and friends have given me their locations, and have talked to veterans of Grossdeutchland Division as well. As for the metal detector, have one in Iasi and just don't go where it would be easy to find you!
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (28) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0601 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]