Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> crash site WW2, trying to gather information
luchesse5508
Posted: October 09, 2012 12:37 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3406

hello to all
based on some stories of the elders in my hometown (near Targoviste) I am trying to gather as much info as I can about crash sites of ww2 air planes.
the few details that I have so far are:
-crashed B24 in a forest area (in the summer of '44) full of bombs, shut-down by AA from near Gaiesti(?). Burned in impact, all crew KIA. The bombs keep exploding for 2-3 day's in a row; after few days it was covered with eatrh by boldo's, it is possible that it may still be there.
-crashed german "Știuca" (Junkers Ju 87?) in school yard (42-43); one crew member KIA (burried in local grave yard, exhumed after the '50 ) and the other member of crew severely injured (parachute did not open in time, both leg's broken). plane remain's were removed.
-aluminium(?) propeller blade found in remote forest area by my grandfather in summer of '44, he trade it for few aluminium pot's in '45; had markings and bullet schrath on it.
(after reading TW post, it is possible that is one of BOOMERANG propeller (crash site near Butoiu) or perhaps another B24 crashed near my hometown.
-and at last the only physical evidence that I found: rear piece of an cartrige with markings SL 43.
thanks all and pardon my english!
MFG!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
muggs
Posted: October 09, 2012 01:39 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1499

Your best bet is the first location, i hope you'll be using a metal detector otherwise it's mission impossible..and you need a very good hint at the actual crash site...i can tell you from my very limited experience with this that you can wander for hours if you don't have exact info without finding anything of use.

If it's inside the forest it's somehow better because you'll avoid the regular metallic leftovers which you can find in the fields.
PMEmail Poster
luchesse5508
Posted: October 18, 2012 01:02 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

can anyone help me with some information?
-does anyone has a list or a map of crashed airplanes in area Targoviste(N)-Natoinal Route 71(W)-Gaesti(S)-County Route 702A(E)?
-is there a B24 who crashed on the route to Ploiesti in aug '44 or any other campaign of WW2?
-did it exist an AA battery near Gaiesti?
-is there a JU87 crashed in village Picior de Munte?
-JU87 has 2 members crew?
-B24 has alluminium propeller?
MFG!
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 18, 2012 02:29 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

[QUOTE]does anyone has a list or a map of crashed airplanes in area Targoviste(N)-Natoinal Route 71(W)-Gaesti(S)-County Route 702A(E)?[QUOTE]

One B-24 crashed near Vacaresti on 5 may 44 shot down by fighters.

[QUOTE]JU87 has 2 members crew?[QUOTE]

Yes, the pilot and the rear gunner.

[QUOTE]B24 has alluminium propeller?[QUOTE]

Yes, B-24 and B-17 both had aluminium propeller

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on October 18, 2012 05:20 pm
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 18, 2012 02:41 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

and at last the only physical evidence that I found: rear piece of an cartrige with markings SL 43.

SL 43, means the cartridge was built in 1943 at St Louis Ordnance Plant, St Louis, MO.
It is a .50 caliber used in '44.

I also have one from a B-24 crashed in 1943 and stamped TW 42 ( Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN - 1942)
PM
Florin
Posted: October 19, 2012 04:25 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (luchesse5508 @ October 09, 2012 07:37 am)
...........crashed german "Știuca" (Junkers Ju 87?) in school yard (42-43)............

Is this your joke, or some Romanian peasants (the countryside people) really called it this way?
I can tell you something real: some Romanian peasants were talking very seriously about the Führer as the Fluier (English: whistle) - that was their understanding of that name.

This post has been edited by Florin on October 19, 2012 04:27 pm
PM
luchesse5508
Posted: October 22, 2012 12:10 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

thanks alot to all, especially mr. Cantacuzino;
mean while I've also done some research and I knew what the marking on my cartrige ment. wink.gif
(I will post some pictures next week)
so bit by bit the legends seem to be truth.
I will go this weekend or the next one in a trip and I will keep you posted with any findings;
mr. Cantacuzino, do you have an aproximate location for the airplane crashed near Vacaresti, and wich was his name (seem legit to be the same one with B 24 from my first post, the one that was "burried" ); Vacaresti is only a forest away from my hometown; and can you please confirm is it was any AA battery near Gaesti?
luchesse5508
Posted: October 22, 2012 12:30 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (Florin @ October 19, 2012 04:25 pm)
QUOTE (luchesse5508 @ October 09, 2012 07:37 am)
...........crashed german "Știuca" (Junkers Ju 87?) in school yard (42-43)............

Is this your joke, or some Romanian peasants (the countryside people) really called it this way?
I can tell you something real: some Romanian peasants were talking very seriously about the Führer as the Fluier (English: whistle) - that was their understanding of that name.

is not a joke Florin...many elders call ju87 this way...his nickname was "stuka" and in conjunction with his pointed nose and lateral fuselage shape wich did look a bit with a "pike"; resulted romanian nickname "știuca" or "știucili" (as plural)
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 22, 2012 01:48 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

his nickname was "stuka
"

STUKA was not a nickname but an abreviation of german designation STURZKAMPFFLUGZEUG ( Dive bomber plane)

But ofcourse in romanin STIUCA sound appropriate with STUKA .
PM
luchesse5508
Posted: October 22, 2012 02:10 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

right!...mea culpa mr. cantacuzino
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 22, 2012 02:13 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Vacaresti is only a forest away from my hometown

Luchesse, your village is Lucieni ?
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 22, 2012 02:17 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

and can you please confirm is it was any AA battery near Gaesti?

AA batteries were positioned near possible targets ( bridges, factories, refineries etc)

Did Gaesti had such an important target in WW2 ?

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on October 22, 2012 02:17 pm
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 22, 2012 02:21 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

mr. Cantacuzino, do you have an aproximate location for the airplane crashed near Vacaresti

The location you can find asking old people living near Vacaresti village. It is the only US bomber crashed in the area. Only one member was badly injured and died of wounds later in Targoviste hospital,. The other members of the crew escaped by chute and taken POW.
PM
luchesse5508
Posted: October 22, 2012 02:45 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

unfortunately my village is Picior de Munte, but still close enough to Vacaresti...
(btw, mr. cantacuzino are you sure that is Vacaresti (as village)?... or perhaps Vacereasca (as forest); second version seems more plausibile towards my hometown stories...
regarding AA bateries; I really don't know for sure, that's why I asked...I've only found so far just one aerial picture of Gaesti from ww2, showing in bold the train station and a wide area of warehouses nearby; it is also shown in picture that is a linking point betwen Pitesti and Bucuresti via Titu.
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 22, 2012 04:41 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

(btw, mr. cantacuzino are you sure that is Vacaresti (as village)?...

Vacaresti is the closest village from the crash place. The crash could be more or less 5 km distance from the village. Vacereasca forest - which village owned ? ( carei primarii apartine ?)
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0780 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]