Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Austrian Reenactor injured by Explosion.
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: May 27, 2012 12:52 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

W.W.1 Battle reenactment Accident Near Brasov! ohmy.gif

Has anybody got any info on how this accident occurred?

Injury to his hands, loss of digits, I believe.

So did he pick a projectile up during the reenactment or did it land beside him?

Also I heard mention that no ambulance was actually on site, but two Bulgarian re-enactor members had First Aid training and a member of the Public watching the show was from SMURD and he rushed to help.

Best wishes to the wounded man for a speedy recovery.

Kevin in Deva.

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on May 27, 2012 12:53 pm
PMEmail Poster
Ferdinand
Posted: May 27, 2012 02:07 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 1486

I wait also some oppinions from our members that participated in Fundata reenactment. I understand from news that the cannon was overcharged with powder that exploded with much higher power than normal. Resulting in some serios wounds that involve amputation of 2 fingers. I am so sorry for this to happen....especially the efforts were so big to realise this reenactment.
sad.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
21 inf
Posted: May 27, 2012 06:11 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

I was at Fundata as reenactor. The austrian reenactor had injuries at his both hands. He was imediatelly transported in Austria for surgery. His life is not at risk, but he may sustain permanent disability. I dont know exactly how the accident occured, as I was on the other side of the battlefield.

This unfortunate event is a reminder that reenactment is a serious hobby and personal safety must be above everything.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mihnea
Posted: May 29, 2012 08:27 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

I was not there but I did speak with a few of the participants.

DISCLAIMER!!! This is by no means the official story but what I understood, it might as well be 100% wrong!!!
The accident happened during the incorrect loading of a cannon, while the barrel was in a upright position and the pyrotechnic charge was rammed with a steel reamer in a steel barrel.... The charge was initiated prematurely probably from a spark.

Reenactments are dangerous and sometimes accidents do occur especially when pyrotechnics are involved. I have seen many examples of exploded black powder guns, ramrods forgotten in the barrel and the transformed into projectiles, exploded modern guns, etc etc

But it was a big mistake that the organizers did not have a ambulance on the ready. I'm sure that this won't happen again.

The actual reenactment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-o5Wj8pjo...layer_embedded#!

This post has been edited by mihnea on May 29, 2012 08:31 am
PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: May 29, 2012 09:09 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Hi mihnea,

thanks for your post, if its correct that you
have seen many examples of exploded black powder guns, ramrods forgotten in the barrel and the transformed into projectiles, exploded modern guns, etc . . . etc . . .

Then, I can only say the correct training procedures are not being implemented strongly enough by the people involved in preparing the re-enacting events and the training of people involved.

In the news clip of the incident of at Fundata, the victim of the accident is seen rolling on the ground, about a minute elapses before anybody heads over to the victim, one person standing nearby is seen standing hands raised to his face in shock, I have to ask are all participants given any basic First Aid Training? Are participants required to carry a basic field dressing in case of accidents?

On the film clip at about 0:25 the explosions simulating artillery rounds landing on the side of the hill, are they charges set in place prior to the movement of troops? the explosion at 0:27 appears to be quite close to the Romanian troops attacking up the hill.

At 0.59 a small group of troops go up the hill right in the vicinity of the simulated artillery strikes, in my opinion they are in a danger zone because if there were any delay in the explosions taking place they would be walking into an area where injury from debris / parts of the device / air pressure could occur.

Like wise the simulated explosions at 2:17 are very close to the re-enactors.

Speaking as a man with over 21 years military service at home in Ireland and with U.N.I.F.I.L. in South Lebanon, and with hundreds of hours involvement in military training exercises with the Regular military and Reserve military, an an very concerned with the way this re-enactment was presented.

The concept of Safety First, Second & Third, needs to be driven home time and time again to all who participate in such events or they will end up being banned on Health & Safety grounds.

The fact that there was no Ambulance on site is in itself a grave error and perhaps an indicator of the casual attitude given to the planning of the event?

Fair play to the participants, they were doing their best with very little, but if they are exposed to any danger, its NOT worth it.

Kevin in Deva.

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on May 29, 2012 09:10 am
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: May 29, 2012 01:31 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

The organizers only ensure basic safety rules the rest is up to the participants that agree that there is a risk involved in these reenactments. The crew was experienced and used their own equipment (cannon and misc equipment).

The pyrotechnics are controlled manually and are clearly visible to the reenactors also they are harmless unless your face is 30cm from the explosion. They are designed to throw flower pot soil and make smoke. But there are many types used in different locations according to the scenario.

I'm 100% sure the participants were in no grave danger, I have participated to many reenactment battles and this is at the same level as in other countries. You should see waterloo the ambulance is carrying people off the battle field continually.

PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: May 30, 2012 07:41 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Part of the debris being thrown out by the staged explosions is clearly not flower pot soil, and some of it is thrown considerably further than 30cm, so is in fact a danger to the participants, even the small pressure wave generated by the explosion can do damage to soft tissue, eyes . . . etc . . etc . . so your claim of
"they are harmless unless your face is 30cm from the explosion."
is erroneous, its also clear that some of the explosions are blowing out to the side and not directed upwards.

No pyrotechnic display or event involving any amount of explosives should be casually viewed with such indifference with regard to participant or spectator safety, unfortunately this mentality is all too common in Romania at many events, until something goes wrong.

"The organizers only ensure basic safety rules the rest is up to the participants that agree that there is a risk involved in these reenactments. The crew was experienced and used their own equipment (cannon and misc equipment)."

And yet a Austrian participant is seriously wounded and missing fingers! sad.gif

Kevin in Deva.

PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: June 01, 2012 07:59 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Your point exactly? mad.gif

Stop judging from a video distances and other details like mass and speed of a flying object! You are acting childish.

The majority of participants (that have real reenactment experience) enjoyed that event. It's not the organizers fault that the incident occurred.

In my opinion where there is no risk there is no fun. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster
Agarici
Posted: June 02, 2012 12:35 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (mihnea @ June 01, 2012 07:59 am)
Your point exactly? mad.gif

Stop judging from a video distances and other details like mass and speed of a flying object! You are acting childish.

The majority of participants (that have real reenactment experience) enjoyed that event. It's not the organizers fault that the incident occurred. 

In my opinion where there is no risk there is no fun. laugh.gif

But wasn’t their fault that there was no ambulance on the site? By the way, isn’t that a compulsory requirement (since, for example, you have an ambulance on the spot at football games)?

I also tend to agree with that
No pyrotechnic display or event involving any amount of explosives should be casually viewed with such indifference with regard to participant or spectator safety, unfortunately this mentality is all too common in Romania at many events, until something goes wrong.
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: June 03, 2012 09:28 am
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (mihnea @ May 29, 2012 10:27 am)
But it was a big mistake that the organizers did not have a ambulance on the ready. I'm sure that this won't happen again.

I'm quoting myself!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you say??

Nothing was taken casually at the event, that's a supposition based on absolutely no real facts!
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: June 06, 2012 02:08 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

During the shooting of historic movies involving hundreds or thousands of "actors", one of them may die occasionally.
So, what happened at Fundata may happen... from time to time.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1131 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]