Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Yugoslavian space program
muggs
Posted: January 11, 2012 09:16 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1499

A rather interesting documentary will come up in 2013

Upcoming Slovenian 2013 docudrama "Houston We Have a Problem" will reveal one of the biggest secrets of space race during cold war - Yugoslavian space program and it's crucial impact to USA effort to catch the USSR in the Space Race.

Post WWII Yugoslavian leadership made rapid development based on unknown diaries of Yugoslav and world space pioneer Herman Potocnik - Noordung. Technical solutions described in Potocnik's unpublished papers were the basis for establishing secret Yugoslavian space programme in 1948, after Josip Broz Tito's conflict with Stalin.

In late 1960, CIA discovered that Yugoslavia already had an operational space-flight technology.
In March 1961 Yugoslavia secretly sold complete space programme to USA.
In May 1961, Kennedy announced USA choose to go to the Moon.

Directed by Academy Award nominated Slovenian director Ziga Virc, this documentary will reveal the reasons for Yugoslavian leader and post WWII lifetime president Josip Broz Tito to build and maintain the biggest secret underground space centre in Europe, in army base Zeljava with code name "Object 505".
PMEmail Poster
IoanTM
Posted: January 11, 2012 09:49 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3229

Hmmm ... the author isn't called somehow Pavelsky Corutev or something like this ? tongue.gif

Sorry if I'm sarcastic ( again ) - nothing personal but this sounds ... you know ... as a typical hype ... rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: January 12, 2012 07:13 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (muggs @ January 11, 2012 04:16 am)

...................Post WWII Yugoslavian leadership made rapid development based on unknown diaries of Yugoslav and world space pioneer Herman Potocnik - Noordung. Technical solutions described in Potocnik's unpublished papers were the basis for establishing secret Yugoslavian space programme in 1948, after Josip Broz Tito's conflict with Stalin.

In late 1960, CIA discovered that Yugoslavia already had an operational space-flight technology.
In March 1961 Yugoslavia secretly sold complete space programme to USA.
In May 1961, Kennedy announced USA choose to go to the Moon.

I am not arguing with the "Yugoslavian" part of space race story, but I consider that without the German scientists represented by Wernher von Braun the American space program could not exist.
Yugoslavia may had some impressive know-how, but you need huge resources for this. The United States spent 100 billion (100,000,000,000) dollars for the space program in 1960-1970. That was for the dollar value as it was back then. Convert to today's dollar, and it is scary... huh.gif
To offer the whole picture, decades later Japan achieved impressive results with their space program with much lower cost, because the space program in Japan is followed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and not by the government. When a corporation takes care of it, it can be more efficient than government spending.

Also, interesting name for a Yugoslavian: Herman Potocnik - Noordung. It reminds me of the German inhabitants forced to leave Yugoslavia after war.

This post has been edited by Florin on January 12, 2012 07:30 pm
PM
muggs
Posted: January 12, 2012 09:12 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

I won't argue if it's true or not..i'll probably watch the docu when it comes out if i don't forget about it..but you got to give props for the way the base looked biggrin.gif

This is filmed in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X455wiHCCac

PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: January 12, 2012 09:56 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (muggs @ January 12, 2012 04:12 pm)
This is filmed in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X455wiHCCac

If the story discovered by you is true, if there were was a real transfer of technology in the 1960's, it had to be secret (as it is mentioned). Following this logic, obviously a documentary created in 1980's will show that underground base used for its purpose as of 1980's: hideout for airplanes and missiles.
It is possible that in the early 1960's the same tunnels and rooms to have a different usage.
PM
ANDREAS
Posted: January 12, 2012 09:59 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Because in the '90s I was very interested in the Yugoslav conflict and gather lots of information about the combat forces, by 1996-97 I received from a serb colleague a real monography about the yougoslav military in 1990! In this monography the Bihac-Zeljava underground facility was called "Object Jasen" and shelter the 51. Air Control Battalion with AN/TPS-70 and S-600 radar stations, the 117. Fighter Regiment with three squadrons of MiG-21bis and recce MiG-21RF, some auxiliary subunits -one aircraft technical battalion, one security battalion and two security companies, one aircraft handling company, one light air defense artillery&missile regiment, a.o. smaller units. The large underground air base (called the 200 Air Base Bihac-Zeljava) had space for up to 80 MiG-21 fighters!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
ANDREAS
Posted: January 12, 2012 10:30 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

I noticed that the information posted by me are found in much more detail here:
http://www.zeljava.com/eng/index.html or, more common: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDeljava_Air_Base
PMEmail PosterYahoo
muggs
Posted: January 13, 2012 07:24 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

An this is how the base looks these days :

http://www.motocikli.com/forum/index.php/topic,4434.0.html
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: January 15, 2012 08:16 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (muggs @ January 13, 2012 02:24 am)
An this is how the base looks these days :

http://www.motocikli.com/forum/index.php/topic,4434.0.html

Good to use it for the documentary "Life after people".
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0976 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]