Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Recruit Training in the Romanian Army
drillsgt
Posted: January 06, 2004 01:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 181

What was the length of time that a Romanian Army recruit could expect to be trained prior to joining his unit? Was there specialized training prior to joining a permanent unit, or was this training received with the permanent unit? Thanks! Garry Owen!!!
PM
Indrid
Posted: January 06, 2004 06:25 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

to what period are you reffering to? because a lot has changed in 50 years. ..

:keep:
PMICQ
Victor
Posted: January 06, 2004 12:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

to what period are you reffering to? because a lot has changed in 50 years. ..

:keep:

This is in the WWII section of the forum
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
drillsgt
Posted: January 06, 2004 01:11 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I am asking about WW2,and it can be broken down into A. Early War, 1941 to mid 1942.B. mid-war , mid1942-late 43,C. Late War, 44 through the change over. I hope that is specific enough. As a former U.S.Army Drill Sgt , I firmly believe the old addage that more sweat in training means less blood on the battlefield. Garry Owen!!!!!!!!
PM
Indrid
Posted: January 06, 2004 02:00 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

this is me :drunk: !! i wasn`t paying attention. sorry :oops:
PMICQ
dragos
Posted: January 06, 2004 04:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

The official plan for training in 1942 was:

15 February - 14 June : individual and section training
15 June - 31 August : platoon and company maneuvers
after 1 September: large scale maneuvers (battalion, regiment, division)

After 1 September, units could be sent to front.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
drillsgt
Posted: January 06, 2004 04:47 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks Dragos, according to the 1942 training schedule, there was an initial training period of approximately 26 weeks ,or 6 months of training prior to shipment to the front. This seems to be pretty standard in all armies, however , as need increases , length of training decreases. Did the Romanian Army send individuals to the front as replacements, or send entire battalions regiments, brigades,etc to the front? There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
PM
dragos
Posted: January 06, 2004 06:05 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Did the Romanian Army send individuals to the front as replacements, or send entire battalions regiments, brigades,etc to the front?

Both. After the 1941 campaign, Romanian Army confronted with a severe deficiency of 2nd lieutenants and lieutenants, lost due to inadequate tactics. For example, on 4 February 1942, the deficiency in 2nd lieutenants and lieutenants was 1745 men for infantry, 389 men for cavalry, 101 men for artilery, 381 men for combat engineers.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: January 06, 2004 06:54 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Off-topic: What means "Garry Owen!!!" ? You forgot to put it at the end of your last post :nope: . I've heard it in "We were soldiers".
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
petru
Posted: January 06, 2004 07:07 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

In Guderian's memorial book he mentions very heavy losses among the junior officers, in the Polish campaign. This was because they charged in front of their men. Probably it was the same problem in the Romanian Army.
PM
Indrid
Posted: January 06, 2004 07:20 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

:shock: what does gary owen mean? i never saw the film!!! curious emoticon needed
PMICQ
drillsgt
Posted: January 06, 2004 08:02 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I will be happy to explain about "Garry Owen". It is both a song and a salutation. Just as U.S. Marines say "Semper Fie", Troopers in the !st Cavalry Division say "Garry Owen". During the Indian Wars it was the Marching song of Custers 7th Cavalry that was decimated at the Little Big Horn. The 7th Cavalry became one of the Regiments in the First Cavalry Division, and its marching song became "Garry Owen". Prior to being trained as a Drill Sgt, I had the honor of serving in the First Cav. and consider that time to be one of the most important in my life. Garry Owen!!!
PM
dragos
Posted: January 06, 2004 09:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

In Guderian's memorial book he mentions very heavy losses among the junior officers, in the Polish campaign. This was because they charged in front of their men. Probably it was the same problem in the Romanian Army.

Yes, it was the same problem. Only that the battle of Odessa consumed more Romanian lives than of Germans, Poland.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
drillsgt
Posted: January 06, 2004 09:35 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Heavy losses among junior officers and NCOs is a familar pattern. These men are expected to lead , especially at the squad, platoon, and company levels.These are the men ,who do a lions share of the fighting and the dying, . They serve as teachers,and examples to others, and in doing so often pay the cost. Garry Owen!!!!
PM
mabadesc
Posted: January 07, 2004 01:25 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Hi Drill Sgt. and welcome to the forum.

Do you hail from Fort Bragg, by any chance? Are you sporting a "tower of power" -you know, the 3 tabs?

I think the supposed under-training of Romanian troops during WWII is exaggerated by German officers in their memoirs (ex: Manstein's Lost Victories). If you look at the population of Romania during the war and compare it to the large number of troops they contributed, you'll be impressed with the logistics of training such a large number of soldiers in the chaos of the war.

Dragos, do you have the number of romanian troops who participated in the war?

Also, Dragos, what was the training schedule for the Mountain Corps units? Was it longer or structured differently than it was for regular infantry? Were the selection criteria more stringent?

Finally, Drill Sgt., one question for you (sorry if it sounds silly). I've always wanted to know, what is the structural/organizational difference between a brigade and a regiment in the US Army? The reason I'm asking is because for European countries in WWII the basic major military unit were regiments. The US, however, seems to use brigades as their major intervention units.

Thanks.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0281 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]