Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Interwar recruitment and training, looking for some help with this
Harward1
Posted: August 04, 2009 11:03 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2572

I have read a few books about Romania's army in WW2, but they all start in 1941 (except for Romanian Cassandra which focuses on Ion Antonescu's attempts to modernize the army, but ma rog), but I was hoping that someone knew something about where I could find out more about how the army filled its ranks through recruitment before the war, how long was the training, it's difficulty, and what constituted participation in the Reserves. It is clear from the early battles in Basarabia, the Ukraine, the Crimea, up until Stalingrad, that the Romanian units were highly motivated and dedicated, taking causalities that should have shocked their German allies (mainly because of Soviet command of the Black Sea, strong fortified positions, and a lack of mechanized Romanian divisions). The Vanatori de Munte, Calaras and Roisori Cavalry units, and the Romanian Armored units all received grudging respect from the Germans, but on the whole the entire army proved its marshal ability. This did not just pop out of thin air and I have been trying to find out more about the conditions in the Interwar Army and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me and/or point me to some good sources or books on the subject (I do read and speak Romanian, so that isn't a problem). Thanks for your help.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: August 09, 2009 07:23 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This is an interesting theme, which unfortunately isn't treated too well in published works.

The closest thing to the subject, that I know, is http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=5216. It discusses, among other more political subjects, the readiness and make-up of the Romanian Army in 1939-1940, prior the changes that created the 1941 force. It is also still available for sale by the Military Publishing House (Editura Militara) on its website.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Harward1
Posted: August 10, 2009 04:28 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2572

Does Editura Militara ship to the US or the UK (where I am moving in a couple weeks for school)? If not, I will have to pick up the book when I visit Romania, hopefully around Christmas.

PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: August 10, 2009 05:52 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I don't think they ship to the US. The method of payment they use only works in Romania (you pay when you go to the post office to take it). Maybe you can locate it in an online store.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MMM
  Posted: August 14, 2009 09:17 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

I've just seen this! You have to search through "Istoria Militară a Poporului Român" (The Military History of the Romanian People), volume VI. Even if it is written during the communist period (this volume appeared in 1989), one can easily find interesting and documented facts in it!

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0901 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]