Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "The Chief Culprit" by Viktor Suvorov, Stalin's Grand Design to Start WWII
JulioMoc
Posted: June 11, 2011 06:05 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 550

Well, I'm reading this book and it turned out to be a very interesting reading. I knew Suvorov's previous works just by fame. He was a GRU agent and deserted to Great Britain in late 70's, after working for several years on Moscow's secret state archives. Suvorov found several documents which showed a very different reality from what the western literature have shown in the last 60 years.

According to his research, Stalin had been for years developing a strategy to start a war in Europe, that would weaken the european powers, thus allowing the Red Army steamroll all over Europe, turning it into a big soviet continent.

The chapter I read today deals with Red Army's occupation of Bessarabia and North Bucovina in 1940.

As a preparation for his invasion of Europe, Stalin was clearing his western borders of buffer states (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) and defensive positions (the Mannerheim Line in Karelia Isthmus, Finland). He chose to use in Romania the same strategy he used against the finns: occupied only the terrain deemed "defendable" by his neighbors, clearing the way for the Red Army offensive which would happen later as an all-out invasion through all the european frontier.

And indeed, Stalin had put 3000 tanks and 2000 aircraft on the Romanian border - he could have crushed the country and taken Ploiesti without much effort. But he agreed to have just Bessarabia and Bucovina. This, nonetheless, put his tanks at 180 km from Ploiesti - Hitler's most precious lifeline.

The book claims that protecting his vital oil supply and act before the soviets could, was indeed the reasons for Barbarossa; not the Lebensraum theory.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Chief-Culprit-Stalin...07812073&sr=8-1

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
MMM
Posted: August 28, 2011 06:53 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
JulioMoc
Posted: August 28, 2011 02:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 550

The other man with a moustache was the bloodiest of Stalin’s exterminators, and one who proved the most difficult to exterminate. He was Stalin’s tool of world
domination and, when it unexpectedly crashed down on his head, his undoing. The
awesome military potential Stalin had accumulated for an offensive strike at Germany
in July or August 1941 was scattered like so many straws in the first days, weeks, and
months of Barbarossa. Therefore, if any of us are free to write, publish, and read this
today, it follows that in some not inconsequential part our gratitude for this must go to
Hitler. And if somebody wants to arrest me for saying what I have just said, I make no secret of where I live.

This last paragraph impressed me. ph34r.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: August 28, 2011 08:01 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (JulioMoc @ June 11, 2011 06:05 pm)

According to his research, Stalin had been for years developing a strategy to start a war in Europe, that would weaken the european powers, thus allowing the Red Army steamroll all over Europe, turning it into a big soviet continent.

Well it seems a certain Austrian with the WW1 rank of Corporal from the Bavarian Army decided to kick the game off with his Invasion of Poland, even at which point the Red Army was in no ft state to do much of invading (unless you count their non-aggression pact with Hitler and dividing Poland between them).

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
MMM
Posted: August 29, 2011 06:37 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

NCR, you forgot to mention the moustache... biggrin.gif
On the "not-so-funny" cathegory: the Red Army was NOT unprepared, at least on the Japanese front: google "halhin-gol" or "khalkhin-gol" and then say your oppinion re: unfit! The 17-days delay of Stalin was perhaps the best move of 1939: everybody blamed Hitler for starting the conflict, whereas Stalin was seen as a mere opportunist or something like that.
@Julio: the "gratitude to Hitler" part seems a little far-fetched: it's as if Isaac Newton should've been grateful to the anecdotic apple that fell on his head! (Of course, the apple hadn't kill dozens of millions of people)

This post has been edited by MMM on October 11, 2011 03:34 pm

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0231 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]