Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Soviet orders & medals awarded to Romanians?
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 20, 2003 03:37 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

Romanian soldiers and officers received quite a number of German decorations : from the Iron Cross to the German Cross, passing by the Eastern Campaign Medal and the Order of the German Eagle.

But what happened after August 23, 1944? Did Romanian troops (who fought alongside Soviet soldiers) received any special Soviet orders or medals?
I know only the Medal of Victory against Fascist Germany to have been awarded, but nothing else?

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: December 20, 2003 04:18 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Two Rumanian I.A.R. 80 pilots, Adj. av. Grecu and Adj. stag. av. Vieru, were awarded the Red Banner Medal for shooting down... one of their own, namely a Hs 129B-2, which tried to defect to German lines on Febr. 9, 1945.
I have included a photo in my latest book on Rumanian aces, p. 64, of the two ARR airmen wearing the Soviet decorations.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mg 42
Posted: December 20, 2003 09:16 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 164

my grandfather, who had received the Mihai Viteazul Knight's Order for actions on the Eastern front also received the Stalin Order ( or something like this) for actions on the Western Front.

That didn't stop the communists to put him in jail after the war was over, though...
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 20, 2003 05:53 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 9

I don't think there was any "Stalin Order", but maybe the "Order of Lenin"... But remember that the "Order of Lenin" was made of gold and platina (33 grams of gold, and 3.5 of platina), so it couldn't be awarded to anybody!...

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: December 20, 2003 09:33 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

King Michael was awarded the extremely scarce Soviet Order of Victory (only 18 orders were awarded to Soviet and international military leaders).

I have also heard that he later sold his badge to a Japanese collector for some 3 million USD (if I remember right).
PM
mabadesc
Posted: December 20, 2003 10:08 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

my grandfather, who had received the Mihai Viteazul Knight's Order for actions on the Eastern front also received the Stalin Order ( or something like this) for actions on the Western Front.  

That didn't stop the communists to put him in jail after the war was over, though...

Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, the Soviets were really good at praising and decorating you in your face, while at the same time stabbing you in the back.
My family went through something similar, mg42.

In the cases where both things happened before '46, I think some of them are due to a schism between the NKVD and the Soviet army, or just decentralization in their huge army command. Every Soviet marshall/general thought he could do anything on the spot.

Of course, that changed after the war, once Vishinski (?am I thinking of the right guy?) took care of things.

Well, at least it's a theory....I don't know how accurate it is...

P.S. mg42, you should send Victor a summary about your grandfather so he can post it on the main website (under "journals" or "portraits" maybe). Sounds like he was quite high on the hierarchy of ranks...
PM
mg 42
Posted: December 21, 2003 06:42 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 164

Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, the Soviets were really good at praising and decorating you in your face, while at the same time stabbing you in the back.
My family went through something similar, mg42.

In the cases where both things happened before '46, I think some of them are due to a schism between the NKVD and the Soviet army, or just decentralization in their huge army command. Every Soviet marshall/general thought he could do anything on the spot.

Of course, that changed after the war, once Vishinski (?am I thinking of the right guy?) took care of things.

Well, at least it's a theory....I don't know how accurate it is...

P.S. mg42, you should send Victor a summary about your grandfather so he can post it on the main website (under "journals" or "portraits" maybe). Sounds like he was quite high on the hierarchy of ranks...

unfortunately I don't know very much about him : He died in the '60 (that's about 15 years before I was born )
His name was maj. Axente Popovici from the 21 Calarasi Regt. ( that's Cavalry )
and the sad thing is that the romanian communists threw him in jail. And while he was arrested, my grandmother was forced to divorce him.So after he was released, he moved to Arad and remarried.
I have just one photo of him, that's all.

The funny thing is that my other grandfather served for a while under his command, as a sargent T.R. Of course they didn't know back then that they will be related someday.
PM
Petre
Posted: July 03, 2014 02:03 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4125/362565...9_ba533b07_orig

DECREE of the Presidium of the USSR Supreme Council on rewarding with USSR Orders of Romanian Army generals and officers.
For skillfully driving the combat actions of the Romanian troops in fighting against the German invaders, awarded

Suvorov Order 1th class
Div.gen. Ionaşcu Emanuil
Corps gen. Răşcanu Vasiliu

Suvorov Order 2nd class
Corps gen. Atanasiu Vasile
Brig. gen. Ionescu Constantin

Kutuzov Order 2nd class
Brig. gen. Agricola Filip
Div.gen. Niculescu Răducu

Red Banner Order
Brig. gen. Antonescu Ilie
Brig. gen. Bădescu Constantin
Brig. gen. Cămăraşu Mihail
Brig. gen. Cambrea Nicolae
Brig. gen. Popescu Ioan
Brig. gen. Talpeş Constantin

President of the Presidium... M.Kalinin
Moskow, Kremlin, 9.08.1945
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: October 23, 2014 06:45 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

A web-page, «Krasnaia Zvezda» (The Red Star) Order of a romanian officier, future general with career în M.A.I.
http://sovietmedals.ucoz.com/forum/22-38-1

Senior Lt. Dumitru Constantinescu, Chief 2nd Bureau, Staff of T.Vladimirescu Division (Divizia română de voluntari T.V.-Debreţin, distinsă cu Flamura Roşie).

From the official list : ... ca locţiitor Şef Biroul 2 s-a dovedit un lucrător deplin. A lucrat neobosit pentru conducerea cercetării şi observării, furnizând informaţii preţioase. S-a remarcat în ultimele lupte 1- 20.03.1945, când sub conducerea sa personală au fost predaţi de la cercetare 5 prizonieri. Se propune pentru decorare cu ordinul "Krasnaia Zvezda".

Awards of 4 May 1945 :
The Order "Bogdan Hmelnitski" step 3 - Major Istrătescu Nicolae Stelian, from 1.Regiment (locţiitor cdt. Batalion, cu organizarea)
The "Krasnaja Zvezda" Orders :
- Senior Lt. Constantinescu Dumitru Dumitru, Chief 2nd Bureau, Staff of TV-D Division
- Senior Lt. Macovei Gh. Gheorghe, Battery deputy CO for cultural-educational activitty, 3.Regiment
- Soldier Moşoiu Dumitru, communications, 3.Regiment
- Soldier Nichita Gh. Vasile, MG, 3.Regiment
- Senior Lt. Olaru Leonida Gheorghi, Battery CO, 1. Regiment
- Maj. Sergeant Tetulescu Constantin Vasile, MG comp. deputy CO, 2. Regiment
- Soldier Ciobanu Dumitru, comms., 3.Regiment
- Sergeant Şerban Nicolae Spiridon, chief bureau, 1. Regiment

Another document, with three pages and the stamp "The Allied Control Council in Romania" includes the persons from TV-D Division, awarded with "K.Z." Orders in 1945.
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: September 10, 2021 07:21 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Source https://historyrussia.org/
Liberation of Europe. Romania.

Solicitarea din partea gen. N.A. Bulganin privind recompensarea militarilor armatei române si ai Div.1 rom inf voluntari «T.V.» cu medaliile «Pentru victoria asupra Germaniei în Razboiul Patriotic»

29 sept. 1945.
Loctiitorul Presedintelui Comisiei Aliate de Control România, gen.col. Susaikov, s-a adresat cu solicitarea pentru înmânarea medaliei «Pentru victoria asupra Germaniei în Razboiul Patriotic 1941-1945» militarilor armatei române si ai Div.1 rom voluntari «T.V.», care au luat parte la razboi împreuna cu Armata Rosie.
Raportând asupra celor de mai sus, propun daca se poate medaliile sa fie înmânate doar acelor militari care au luat parte la operatiile militare în compunerea fronturilor.
Total necesar medalii 278.426.
Rog indicatiile Dvs.
Gen.col.Golikov

This post has been edited by Petre on September 10, 2021 07:23 am
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.3953 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]