Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Review "Romanian Aeronautics in WWII" - Modelism
Victor
Posted: June 18, 2003 10:38 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I have decided to make a review of the book, which has been mentioned several times now on the forum.
In fact everyone is welcome to post their own opinions on this book.

Title: Romanian Aeronautics in the second world war/Aeronautica romana in al doilea razboi mondial
Authors: Cristian Craciunoiu, Jean-Louis Roba
Publisher: Modelism International
Year: 2003, Bucharest
It can be ordered from http://www.modelism.ro or bought directly from the publisher’s shop.

IMO, the book is optimistically called a "mini-encyclopedia". I believe it is more a "micro-encyclopedia", an album. It has a lot of very interesting photographs and over 70 color profiles, but the text is really "thin", too general. Sure statistics are interesting and most welcome (some had already been published in other works), but more details on the actual fighting would have been nice. The group and personal emblems already appeared in many articles and books, so did the uniforms ("Armata Romana 1941-45" comes to mind), the painting, the captured aircraft and even the pets (well in fact the part about the pets is more about Gill, the dog of lt. av. Galea – an article already published in Modelism International). There are indeed several new things mentioned, which are very interesting, like the anti-shipping actions of the Romanian bombers in 1941.

The book contains mistakes (most likely typing errors, for example: Escadrila 52 instead of 53 at page 91) and the English part is, as usual unfortunately, in a real modest English. All in all it is a good book if you are a modeler or are looking to find out some basics about ARR in WWII, but we are still waiting for "the book" on the subject. Maybe mr. Antoniu and Cicos can help us smile.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: June 20, 2003 05:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I fully agree that there is a need for a comprehensive, scholarly written book on the history of ARR, including the archival sources as footnotes, etc. However, the problem is the following: is there enough financially backed up interest in such a book, even if it's in English, or bilingual? In other words, is there a large enough market to justify the publication of such a tome as a private venture? Personally, I don't know of any publishing house, which would have a real interest in undertaking such a major project, financially I mean.
The only other plausible solution, in my view, would be that a major Rumanian institution – e.g., the Ministry of Defence, or Ministry of Culture – would assume all costs, thus the book does not have to be profitable. However – based on past experiences – this would inevitably lead the project to he hijacked by high-ranking Rumanian officials, who would do everything to make sure the ARR's story is properly sanitized, thus would fit the official policy (see, for example, the issue of the Government's recent statement: 'there was no Holocaust within Rumania's wartime borders', despite the obvious facts).
In conclusion, the idea of a comprehensive history of ARR is excellent (I am confident that I have enough written and photographic material to undertake and conclude the project); however, the practical part is unfortunately rather uncertain.

Dénes
Victor
Posted: June 20, 2003 06:58 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Who knows maybe ARPIA will finace such a project? There can always be private sponsors. A bank, for example, like in the case of BRD-Societe Generale for the book published by Modelism.
Dénes
Posted: July 10, 2003 09:14 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Recently I received both titles from Rumania, the one published by AeroMagazin and the other one by Modelism Int'l.

I was waiting for them eagerly, hoping for a wealth of new photos and, mainly, information. Well, I must say that I was somewhat disappointed in both titles.

Although I found a couple of new and very interesting photos in both books, the area where both of them are weak is the text. Particularly, the one published by Modelism - under work for so many years - is disappointing in the brevity and incoherency of the information contained in it (not to mention the sub-standard English translation and many typos/errors).

I can't say much about the book published by AeroMagazin, which is relying heavily on my earlier book, published by Squadron/Signal in 1999 - fact indirectly acknowledged by the Editor on the inside cover – (BTW, I am not one of the book’s co-authors), completed with excerpts from various pilots' memoirs and a few additional information.

Quite a few colour profiles in both titles are erroneous, in respective of both the colours and details. The printing quality of the (well known) colour photos in Modelism’s book is also sub-standard.

In conclusion, both books worth to be purchased if someone is looking mainly for mediocre to very good quality b/w photos and pretty colour airplane profiles and can easily spare the money. However, if someone is looking for the "definitive" book on the ARR – as regards precise and detailed information – unfortunately neither book is the one we were expecting for.
Sadly, it appears that there is no viable marked for such a "definitive" large tome, which would cost beyond the price most of us could afford due to the very limited printing run, therefore apparently no publisher would endeavour in such an unprofitable project (unless a generous benefactor/sponsor would show up, who would cover the losses)...

Despite all these having been said, I must remark that June of 2003 was (and probably remains) a unique month as regards new literature on the history of the Royal Rumanian Air Force, with a record of three books being published, including my own, dealing with the ace fighter pilots, title included in Osprey’s popular ‘Aircraft of the Aces’ series (BTW, I am waiting to read your reviews!).

Dénes
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: August 18, 2003 06:35 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

I bought today the Modelism book. In the car till Bacau I had some hours to read it. It is true that the text is very thin. Nevertheless this book is very welcomed for the plenty new photos and some new informations. It`s like a suppliment album for what was written till today about ARR. The only problem is the difficulty to procure all those books.

Yours,
Bernard M
PMMSN
C-2
Posted: August 18, 2003 07:05 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I bought today the Modelism book. In the car till Bacau I had some hours to read it. It is true that the text is very thin. Nevertheless this book is very welcomed for the plenty new photos and some new informations. It`s like a suppliment album for what was written till today about ARR. The only problem is the difficulty to procure all those books.  

Yours,
Bernard M

Try to read "Aviatia Romana in timpul celui de-al doilea razboi mondial"
de Medin Robanescu si Teodor Morosanu Aeromagazin.
You'll like it more....
PMUsers Website
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: August 18, 2003 07:12 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

Thank you C-2 but I have it already and the informations are mostly the same like those from Mr Bernad`s book. Some photos are new but... lack of new informations.

Trully yours,
Bernard Miclescu
PMMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0486 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]