Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Laceni MACR4099, B-24 crash
worldkiss
Posted: November 04, 2010 05:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2932

I am looking for information on a B-24 crash April 15, 1944. The crash was in the Teioasa Forest near Laceni. Information I have is that a memorial was erected at the crash site and continues to be maintained. Of the crew, only two survived and were taken as POW's. The remaining crew died in the crash and were buried at the civilian cemetery in Laceni. Later they were moved to the US Military Cemetery at Sinaia, Romania. After that, the crew was moved to the US Military Cemetery in Neuville en Condres, Belgium.
Does anyone have information on this crash site? Any pictures would be great. Hopefully the memorial is there and is maintained.
Thank you.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 04, 2010 04:19 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

am looking for information on a B-24 crash April 15, 1944. The crash was in the Teioasa Forest near Laceni. Information I have is that a memorial was erected at the crash site and continues to be maintained. Of the crew, only two survived and were taken as POW's. The remaining crew died in the crash and were buried at the civilian cemetery in Laceni. Later they were moved to the US Military Cemetery at Sinaia, Romania. After that, the crew was moved to the US Military Cemetery in Neuville en Condres, Belgium.
Does anyone have information on this crash site? Any pictures would be great. Hopefully the memorial is there and is maintained.
Thank you.

Hi Worldkiss,

Where do you have these informations? Are you a relative of one of the crew members?

Indeed the B-24 Sn 42-64380 crashed near Laceni village on 15 april '44. With this occasion the 460BG lost their leader Col. Robert Crowder.
Below is the picture of the comemorative stone erected in the memory of Lt. Col. Robert Crowder. The last words translation: Erected through Goodness of God and by contribution of Ing. Ghita Alexandru and Rodica.

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dan.
PM
worldkiss
Posted: November 05, 2010 04:08 am
Quote Post

Soldat

A crew member on that airplane was my uncle, Sgt Marion J. Sparks. Only two survived, co-pilot Bennie Lindley and Olan Delaney.
Thanks for the pic. Anything else is also welcomed.
PMEmail Poster
worldkiss
Posted: November 05, 2010 04:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

My information about a memorial came from a woman named Elena (sometimes listed as Iona) Bubureanu. She was writing a book about Laceni because she was born there. She thought Col Crowder survived and was taken to a hospital in Alexandria. His remains were buried in the Camp Butler Cemetery in Springfield, Il.
What is the location of the picture you provided?
Thank you again.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2010 06:27 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

She thought Col Crowder survived and was taken to a hospital in Alexandria.

Yes she was right, Col Crowder survived and was taken to a hospital in Alexandria where he died later (on the stone the date of death is 15 june'44). As far as I know the stone is somewhere in Alexandria. I will contact a friend of mine who live in Alexandria mayby he could find the stone.
PM
worldkiss
Posted: November 23, 2010 08:48 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Any success in finding the location of the monument in Alexandria? Do you know anyone near Laceni?
Thanks
PMEmail Poster
MRX
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:09 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 1851

Yes, it is in the Heroes Cemetery of Alexandria.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 29, 2010 07:24 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

A crew member on that airplane was my uncle, Sgt Marion J. Sparks. Only two survived, co-pilot Bennie Lindley and Olan Delaney.
Thanks for the pic. Anything else is also welcomed.

I was in Alexandria and took pictures with the monument and Laceni forest. I interviewed two witness regarding crash details. You can contact me on PM.
PM
worldkiss
Posted: December 02, 2010 03:13 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Cantacuzino
I sent you a PM.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0516 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]