Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> StuG.III Ausf.G used by the Romanian Royal Army, the units who used them in summer 1944
ANDREAS
Posted: August 01, 2010 12:15 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2421

At least 118 German StuG III assault guns were included in arms shipments scheduled for delivery to Romania between November 1943 and September 1944, of which 108 appear to have been received. In Romanian service these vehicles carried the designation TAs, 10 operating with the ad-hoc Cantemir Armoured Group as early as February 1944 and later with the reconstituted 1st Armoured Division. By the summer of 1944 this formation had some 32 TAs in service plus another 10 in transit from training elements attached to the German 20th Panzer Division. 21 more TAs, with more in transit, had been received by the Romanian 8th Cavalry Division which was in the process of reforming into the 2nd Armoured Division. Fighting against Soviet forces in the summer of 1944 cost the Romanians a number of these TAs, while most or all of those in transit were confiscated by the Germans following the Armistice. Source: Mark Axworthy and Horia Serbanescu, The Romanian Army of World War 2, London: Osprey, 1991.

Hallo to you,
because the Sturmgeschütz III G was one of the most effective vehicles in World War II, and because, in theory, was in the greater number present in our army inventory (more than the Pz.IVH tanks) I was curious to reconstruct the actual equipment of the armored units with the Sturmgeschütz III G. So I discovered that the number of vehicles delivered (108) was much higher than the number of vehicles actually present in the armored units (53?-73?) Ok, some were in the country, with the 1st Armored (training) Division, let's say 15-20, but even so some 15 -20 are missing...
Then, the question is: are the numbers correct or not?
Wait for your answers...

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Alanmccoubrey
Posted: August 03, 2010 03:03 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1520

Andreas, What about losses ? Could they account for the difference in numbers ?
PMEmail Poster
ANDREAS
Posted: August 03, 2010 06:11 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hallo Alan,
this idea doesn't seem very likely since the delivery of this armored vehicles took place between end 1943 and summer 1944 and the romanian armored troops did not see too much action during that time. My theory is that the missing vehicles were seized by the Germans after August 23, 1944, and used in the battles... Or maybe the vehicles never arrived in romanian hands, even if they were sent from Germany to equip the Romanian troops?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
aidan zea
Posted: August 28, 2012 12:25 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 3341

The missing TAs T-IIIG or StuG-IIIG were probably lost in the Battle of Podu Iloaiei (april 1944) where our 1st Armoured Division was fighting the soviet armoured units for one day.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: September 02, 2012 09:19 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (aidan zea @ August 28, 2012 02:25 pm)
The missing TAs T-IIIG or StuG-IIIG were probably lost in the Battle of Podu Iloaiei (april 1944) where our 1st Armoured Division was fighting the soviet armoured units for one day.

The 1st Armored Division was not involved in fighting in April 1944. It was just beginning to form as a unit in that period.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ANDREAS
Posted: September 02, 2012 10:11 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Thanks Victor!
I thought so too, because I read in an older Magazin Istoric about this battle and that the Mixt Armoured Group "Cantemir" (who had in his inventory T-IV tanks and TAs T-III assault guns) prepared for a intervention, didn't took part in it (in this battle). So the mystery remains standing...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Victor
Posted: September 02, 2012 10:20 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The 1st Tank Regiment had 40 TAs in July 1944, out of which 22 were on the front with the 1st Armored Division and the rest of 18 were either training at Dadilov to form a new TAs battery, either detached to the CIMM or under repairs (2 TAs).

On 17 August, there was a mention of the fact that the Division was supposed to receive back a number of TAs which it had detached to Group Kirchner (57th Panzer Corps), following a petition forwarded by the division HQ to the 4th Army HQ. Wether these were received or not by 20 August I do not know.

The 1st Armored Division also had under its command the German Major Brausch Detachment, which consisted in a StuG company (10) and a motorized infantry battalion. These machines could also have been part of those destined to equip the Romanian troops, but due to lack of sufficient trained personnel, they were manned by
Germans, just like the Rapid Detachment was in April 1944.

My guess is that the missing StuGs were manned by Germans in different detachments or in transit. Effectively, in August 1944, the Romanian Army had 22 StuGs with the 1st Armored Division in Moldavia and 18 more in training centers or repairs. The rest were in theory Romanian property, but were employed by the German "instructors".
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ANDREAS
Posted: September 02, 2012 12:17 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Thank you very much Victor!
Very interesting informations you gave me! Greatly appreciate them!
My assumption related to a possible takeover by Germans of "romanian" armored vehicles (tanks, assault guns, a.o.) was based on the takeover of the armored materiel of the 8th Cavalry Division (I guess some 30 T-IV tanks and 21 TAs T-III assault guns) by the German 13. Panzer Division (Major i.G. Kurt Braun commanding officer of this division) on 20.08.1944, if I remember well!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0281 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]