Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian casualties at the Battle of Debretin
John
Posted: March 13, 2010 01:55 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2761

Can anyone provide a quotation from a Romanian source for Romanian losses during the Debrecen Operation?

Volume 8 of Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg gives a total of 117,360 casualties for the Soviets and Romanians. Glantz's When Titans Clashed references Soviet sources that Soviet losses only were 84,010, implying that the Romanians lost something like 33,500 men at Debrecen.

This figure sounds high as I have seen quotes for total Romanian losses in Hungary between October 1944 and January 1945 as 42,700, and, of course, the battle at Debrecen lasted only about three weeks as compared to the 3-4 months for the 42,700 casualties figure. This is why I'd like to see what Romanian sources have to say about Romanian losses at Debrecen.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

This post has been edited by John on March 13, 2010 01:58 pm
PMEmail Poster
ANDREAS
Posted: March 14, 2010 12:12 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Hallo John,
even if I can't yet give a clear answer to your question, can instead estimate the number of casualties up to 23-25.000 (in no case more than that) - Romanian troops -in the Debrecen Battle. This estimation is the result of the comparison of the losses -corps and armies of romanian troops participating at the hungarian campaign during october 1944. This is my estimation!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
John
Posted: March 14, 2010 01:13 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2761

QUOTE (ANDREAS @ March 14, 2010 12:12 am)
Hallo John,
even if I can't yet give a clear answer to your question, can instead estimate the number of casualties up to 23-25.000 (in no case more than that) - Romanian troops -in the Debrecen Battle. This estimation is the result of the comparison of the losses -corps and armies of romanian troops participating at the hungarian campaign during october 1944. This is my estimation!

Thanks for the comments Andreas.

What I know is that three Romanian divisions were present at the assault on Debretin/Debrecen itself. As well, the Romanian 4th Division appears to have been cut off and captured on the far side of the Tisza River by German armored units, and the Romanian 2nd Division was pushed back across the Tisza by a Hungarian attack.

All in all, it is hard to believe that the Debrecen Operation alone was responsible for something like 3/4 of all Romanian losses in Hungary. Hopefully someone has a Romanian work at hand that can provide some clarification.

Cheers
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0347 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]