Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 1/72nd scale HaT Dacians, Follow along as I paint these guys!
bansaraba
Posted: February 17, 2010 08:43 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Group: Members
Member No.: 2196

Don't be angry. Usually, modelers try to follow the historical truth as much as possible. This means careful documenting. Critics help them improve their work. Here's a good forum for you:

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/forum.html

They really know their stuff and you'll get a lot of help there.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 17, 2010 09:13 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Grandpa never taught my father the language or culture, so I don't know the language and am trying to learn a bit of it from some books and tapes I purchaced in the last 10 years. It's only now, some 20 years later, that the info, for Canada/America, is becoming avalible, and it's so hard to find. Sorry, I don't have volume after volume of books on the subject. I'm spending more time trying to research all this stuff and not finding much at all. Even the net is 75% useless unless you know exactly where to search, and that's even a chore on itself.

Here's a good forum for you:

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/forum.html

They really know their stuff and you'll get a lot of help there

Sorry, your forum name Ursulescu (probably also family name)mislead many of members of the forum, that why they were so harsh with you.
As you said being a second generation born in Canada and not knowing romanian language it is more dificult for you to find information regarding history ( and culture) of Romanian people.

Regarding modeling you can ask in english on the link posted by Bansaraba. People there will be glad to help you.
Also if you want some romanian models kits you can not find in Canada (like IAR 80 kit ) people there will help you.

Good luck and happy Modeling wink.gif

PM
21 inf
Posted: February 18, 2010 06:04 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

QUOTE (Ursulescu @ February 17, 2010 06:46 pm)
Did not the Dacians BECOME the present day Romanians after Trajan conquered them? Didn't they live on that land? Don't most of the present day Romanians trace their origin to them? That's my understanding, and history's too. Therefore, calling the Dacians "Romanian" is not such an insult, IMHO.

Ursulescu, now that you presented your personal "history" and seeing how much effort you made to learn stuffs about your romanian ancestry, I believe that you are entitled to be angry cos you are criticised about your work.

One should apreciate your efforts to learn about Romania and the fact that you didnt forget that you have romanian blood, even if you cant speak romanian. It is not easy to learn a foreign language, especially one as romanian, which is considered by foreigners not to be an easy language. Adding the fact that learning romanian wouldn't probably give you some practical day-by-day benefits, your efforts are more to be apreciated.

About Dacians and Romanians link: most (if not all) romanian historians agreed that Romanians have Dacian roots. The etnogenesys of nowaday Romanian nation was forged on Dacian as first substratum, superposed by Romans after conquering Dacia and in early Middle Ages, about VI-VII century, on the Daco-romans people superposed the second substratum, the Slavs. From about IX century, scholars are speaking about the proto-romanian language (primitive romanian language). Afterwards, during centuries, from this derived what is nowadays modern romanian.

The adversaries of romanian etnogenesis idea (usually foreigners) draw a series of hypotesis trying to show that romanians has no links with ancient dacians. However, their multitude of hypothesis doesnt stand to a further mature and documented analysis. Thats why some says that Dacians has nothing to do with Romanians, which is fault.

Keep going on studying romanian language and culture if you feel so, you did a good job wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dead-cat
Posted: February 18, 2010 06:57 am
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 99

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=597
plasticsoldierreview gives the mould quality a 9, which is a bit too generous for my taste as there is too much flash compared to other sets.

I should probably smack him around and tell him to put horses in the box, probably a machine gun or two so I can mow down the Romans and laugh as they bleed into the earth, however historically inaccurate that would be.

there is one company known to include such bonus figures, like a knight aiming a ww2 sniper rifle and such.

other than that, once someone posts pictures of his work on a forum, people will comment. here it's on historical accuracy. on ther forums it might be the paint job, or the colour choice.
speaking of which, are those enamel colours?
PMYahoo
Ursulescu
Posted: February 18, 2010 09:15 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2729

Thank you guys for being so kind to an "outsider" such as myself.

@ Dead-Cat - I guess I am a bit more accustomed to the modeler's web site where they look more to paint quality and building as opposed to accuracy. Actually, 9 out of 10 of these model shows I enter here in Canada, even the judges don't know about accuracy, even in their own preferred field.

Example; I once built a model car and left a seam line on the transmission. the judges took points off on it, however, I left it there because I discovered that that seam line was also the "Natural Seam" on the real transmission, a point they didn't know about.

As for the colours, they are Acrylic. The Enamels just chip off in big hunks when you handle them. I'm planning on playing with these figures in some war games, so I'm not putting in as much effort into the quality of paint because I know it will get chipped off after a few games.

@ 21 inf - I do have a few language backgrounds. I took Spanish and French in school growing up and I also learned some Danish when I traveled over there in 1998 for 5+ months. I have visited Bucharest in 1999 as well.

With this background, I can read Romanian somewhat, but I have trouble with the "-" words as nothing really compairs to them.

The other thing that interests me with the Dacians, and Romanina history in general, is that there might be a chance that one of my ancesters might be some hero or something. I already know the meaning of the "name", like "Lescu" roughly translates into "The tribe of" and that "Ursu" is "the Bear". From what I was told, these are Dacian decended names. Therefore, even playing as a Dacian army on a "toy" battlefield is something of a "Personal" thing for me. Hopefully a 1/72nd scale Dacian army lead by an Ursulescu can actually defeat the 1/72nd scale Romans.

Sadly though, so far I haven't found any Ursulescu's listed anywhere. No WW1 or 2 fighter aces, soldiers, Generals, or even people that might have worked on a movie or something. I just don't see the family name anywhere except for the generations born to my Great Grandfather here in Canada.

Anyway everyone,

I'll stick around. This is still a good site for learning all there is to know about Romania.

One thing I want to try and do is to make a You-Tube video about Romania in WW1. This is going to be a Stop-motion film using the Airfix 1/72nd scale figures that are in my other post. They will be fighting against the Airfix Germans in a recreation, or as best as I can do it.

As a final thought for the evening (It's 2:15 Am here) ...

Somehow my grandfather was able to get a large collection of 78 and 33 1/3rd RPM records from out of Romania in the 1950's and 1960's. I don't know how he did it, but I ended up inheriting them. I love the music, but I don't know what anyone is saying. I found a few translations for the songs, but not all as they are quite old.

Also in the inheritance, I recieved a few old Romanian/American newspapers that have 1/2 of the articles written in Romanian and the other 1/2 in English. I framed one for my wall and it's from 1946 and has a tank on the front page with a Romanian caption.

I also have a magazine someone gave me that's a WW2 occupied France (German) magazine from 1943. I think it's called "Signal". Anyway, it has a story about the Romanian Army and King Michael. This is from before the Romanina army left the Axis and joined the Allies.

One thing I found that's pretty funny is that if I enter a millitary store here in Canada and tell them I'm interested in Romanian millitary items, if the owner has something, he will give it to me for cheap or even free. It's rare that I find something though.
PMEmail Poster
dead-cat
Posted: February 18, 2010 12:14 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

QUOTE (Ursulescu @ February 18, 2010 10:15 am)
As for the colours, they are Acrylic. The Enamels just chip off in big hunks when you handle them. I'm planning on playing with these figures in some war games, so I'm not putting in as much effort into the quality of paint because I know it will get chipped off after a few games.

i'm surprised. i used to get comparable results with enamels, which seldom satisfied me. out of curiosity i experimented with revell acrylics and without doing anything different, i got quite an improvement.

i usually do 17th century stuff to napoleonic tho, so there is a lot of uniform detail, like buttons, belts and turnbacks, which at 1:72 are quite difficult to paint, freehand.
PMYahoo
Ursulescu
Posted: February 18, 2010 05:38 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Have you tried a 20/0 brush? I have one and it's great at putting the "Pin Prick" type of painting on buttons.

Have a look at my WW1 Romanian army on this board. I even painted their eyes with that brush.
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: February 18, 2010 05:51 pm
Quote Post

Ursulescu, here http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...ortraits&st=120 you can find one Ursulescu from Romania who participated at ww2 in romanian army biggrin.gif
dead-cat
Posted: February 18, 2010 07:06 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

yes i do have brushes for detail work. it was more the paint i was struggling with back when i did enamel.
i do have quite a few sets started but still nothing finished. i'm working on an imperial cuirassier set for the 30 years war based on a part of revell's swedish cavalry and i'm trying to get some information un uniforms for my spanish succession war imperial austrian dragoons, based on zvezda's swdish dragoons for the northen war.
PMYahoo
Ursulescu
Posted: February 18, 2010 08:00 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

@ 21 inf - Thanx for that picture!

user posted image

A Sergent Major is quite a high rank! I wonder what his first name(s) was. I wonder if he's related to my family or not, and if so...how?

Also, are you sure this is WW2? The uniform looks to be from WW1, but I could be mistaken, or the WW2 uniforms might have kept some of the look from the WW1 version.

This post has been edited by Ursulescu on February 18, 2010 08:02 pm
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: February 19, 2010 05:41 am
Quote Post

I am very sure that is from ww2, on the back of the picture is written the year 1944 and that the pic was taken in the day the guy went to the front line. Unfortunately I dont know who this guy was, it is sure is not from my family, even if found the photo in my family's collection. My grandparents, who knew him and could tell me who he was, are unfortunatelly in Heavens.

Ursulescu is a name which is found quite easily in Romania.
Dénes
Posted: February 20, 2010 11:06 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Ursulescu @ February 18, 2010 12:46 am)
You know, in Canada, where I'm from, there is hardly anything on Romania to draw from. Romania isn't a #1 priority here.

Ursulescu, I am also a Canadian citizen (although I do not live there any more).
If you are persistent, you can find even in Canada Rumania-related books and other publications. For example, in Toronto, there is a huge aviation shop, called 'Aviation World', on Carlington Drive (near the airport). There, you can find quite a few military books on Rumania (and, generally, on Eastern Europe).
However, with the endless possibilities given by the Internet, you can find practically any books printed recently on Rumania and it's history. One only has to look for them and be persistent.

This forum is focusing mainly on history and, particularly, on World War 2 (hence its name), not modelling, per se. Therefore, you will certainly be criticised if you post historically inaccurate - but fancy looking - kits, figures, etc. However, as other forumites have already written, this criticism is positive, with the meaning to assist you in improving your works and be historically accurate as much as possible. So take it as is, a helping hand for you (and others) to complete your (and others') knowledge on Rumania and its rich military history.

Gen. Dénes
Ursulescu
Posted: February 20, 2010 06:05 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

ThanX Denes, I will do that.

Actually, this will be a good site for me and hopefully it will help me out with future builds.

But the web site does offer a lot more than just WW2 Romania. It's an awesome site for all Romanian millitary history.

I'm glad I found it.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0416 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]