Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> US missile shield in Romania?
Imperialist
Posted: August 30, 2009 04:06 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

I have read that Obama will move the missile shield from the Czech Republic and Poland to the Balkans and Turkey. Could Romania be a possible location for missile shield components? And if so, could we upgrade our air defense system on account of that (the deal Poland strongly negotiated with the US), or will our politicians offer the location in return for a kind word alone?

--------------------
I
PM
C-2
Posted: August 30, 2009 04:39 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I hope not....
Why do we need this shield?
What enemies do we have?
By accepting this "shield" we are exposing ourselfs to useless risks.
PMUsers Website
MMM
Posted: August 30, 2009 05:20 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

QUOTE (Imperialist @ August 30, 2009 04:06 pm)
I have read that Obama will move the missile shield from the Czech Republic and Poland to the Balkans and Turkey. Could Romania be a possible location for missile shield components? And if so, could we upgrade our air defense system on account of that (the deal Poland strongly negotiated with the US), or will our politicians offer the location in return for a kind word alone?

That would be the Romanian style, wouldn't it? Figure out: we don't need or have the money for such things; in exchange, we'll make some (new) enemies, as our relations with Russia were too good!

This post has been edited by MMM on August 31, 2009 06:22 am

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Hadrian
Posted: August 30, 2009 10:45 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 875

New enemies we won`t make, Russia is an old one... laugh.gif
Anyway, why should we start to care what Russia says now, we repeatedly proved (especially when we were allies in Warsaw pact), that we don`t give a s**t.

We must think what comes with the package... thinking about how our airforce looks at the moment, it`s the only thing that may protect our airspace...
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: August 31, 2009 05:28 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

To protect our airspace from who?
I don't think that for a country like Rom. to go and buy 15 fighters for "intern use" are such a problem.
Why do we need help for that?
Why do we need to make us a target?
Why do we need to make NEW enemies?
PMUsers Website
Hadrian
Posted: August 31, 2009 02:37 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

In 1999 Russia violated with cold blood our airspace when they occupied Pristina airport with paratroopers. They are regularly violating the Baltic states airspace, even when they are NATO. Why do you think they are so angry about a defensive shield??? By the way, they have something similar from the 70`es in order to protect Moskow.
A target we are already because we are a NATO state, so, in case of war, guess what will happen? ph34r.gif
We were a target many times during the history for the russians, even when neutral... Why do you think we stopped to be a target? biggrin.gif
The same goes for "new" enemy. We are not new but old enemies. wink.gif
And now we get a chance to kick them in the b***s, with impunity.
On the other side, the shield give us protection (the russians won`t dare to send aircrafts in their area of action), and when well negociated, also other advantages, economical for example, or free weapons etc.

This post has been edited by Hadrian on August 31, 2009 02:38 pm
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: August 31, 2009 06:27 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Nothing you wrote is worth an nuclear missle or something close to that.
Many countries violate the air space of their neighbours.
Nothing new.
So what?
To go to war for this reason?
PMUsers Website
guina
Posted: August 31, 2009 06:28 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 1393

Everything nice and dandy,but how an american anti-missle shield will protect us from russian aircraft? Not that I'm against it,the Iranian and Pakistani threat is very real,especialy the second one,but I dont think it can be seen as a protection from russians.Once we joined NATO,we willy-nilly became a target and the problem is that a lot of us think that we must share all the benefits ,whithoght taking any risk or expences. Well,the things dont work that way.
As for RF,Romania is the last thing they think about,passed are the days of the russian Constantinople,other countries are on their agenda.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: August 31, 2009 08:17 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Hadrian @ August 31, 2009 02:37 pm)
Why do you think they are so angry about a defensive shield??? By the way, they have something similar from the 70`es in order to protect Moskow.

We were a target many times during the history for the russians, even when neutral... Why do you think we stopped to be a target? biggrin.gif
The same goes for "new" enemy. We are not new but old enemies. wink.gif
And now we get a chance to kick them in the b***s, with impunity.

They're angry because NATO expanded probably farther than in their worst nightmares. Last year's talks about getting Ukraine into the alliance was the drop that filled the glass and the August war followed. Russia is clearly down and weakened and the only thing that keeps it a strong player is its nukes. And if the US starts building missile shields in the new NATO members then you can understand why warning sirens go off in the Kremlin.

We were allies too. Remember our Independence War? 1916? Then we were allies after WWII. We're already in NATO, aren't we? So from our point of view our goal has been achieved. So we should move towards cooperation with Russia and leave WWII grudges in the past.

BTW:

Russian Ambassador: Moscow wants stronger ties with Bucharest

http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?page=de...=20090831-11767

--------------------
I
PM
guina
Posted: August 31, 2009 08:50 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

I second what Imp. said,bulls eye !
PMEmail Poster
Hadrian
Posted: August 31, 2009 11:31 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

I think we should get in NATO everybody in Europe, build missile shield that covers all Europe, and make the russians understand who`s in charge in 21 century. wink.gif . This is the only thing russians understand, power. They don`t believe in democracy, equity, blah blah...
Nukes we get in case of war anyway, with or without shield, try to realise that.
Mr. ambassador speaks in the well known soviet manners, half truth and conveniently getting around answers. They attacked Finland, the Baltic states, Poland and Romania and now are still playing the victim.... They made us marching through their steppes, it wasn`t something romanians decided out of boredom. They deserved what they got, and still didn`t got enough. In more modern times, look what they did in Moldova. They still keep an ocupation army in Transnistria as we speak...
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: September 01, 2009 06:13 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hadrian, you should make a difference between Russians and Russia. You can't possibly know what each and every Russian believes in. The state's foregin policy is easier to characterize that an entire people.

This missile shield isn't designed to cope with a Russian nuclear attack, because it would be overwhelmed. It could work only against a small number of nukes (possibly even against a single one for what we know).
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dmitry
Posted: September 01, 2009 10:14 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2601

QUOTE (Hadrian @ August 31, 2009 11:31 pm)
I think we should get in NATO everybody in Europe, build missile shield that covers all Europe, and make the russians understand who`s in charge in 21 century.  wink.gif . This is the only thing russians understand, power. They don`t believe in democracy, equity, blah blah...
Nukes we get in case of war anyway, with or without shield, try to realise that.
Mr. ambassador speaks in the well known soviet manners, half truth and conveniently getting around answers. They attacked Finland, the Baltic states, Poland and Romania and now are still playing the victim.... They made us marching through their steppes, it wasn`t something romanians decided out of boredom. They deserved what they got, and still didn`t got enough. In more modern times, look what they did in Moldova. They still keep an ocupation army in Transnistria as we speak...

Dear Hadrian,

I would ask you not to address your words to the whole nation.

You know, I never had a chance to communicate with a Romanian before. In soviet books over WW2 Romanians are described just the same, as you describe Russians on this forum - not so nice, to be honest. But here I see normal nice people and I really like communicating with them.

Besides - it can be a surprise for somebody, but far not all Russians adore soviet system and current governments' actions. More of that - communist revolution in 1917 and the following years are our tragedy. The early years of war-communism, Stalin and his clique killed more russians, than both world wars did...And even though today we have a different system and the historical name is back as well as the national flag - the fact is, all our politics have risen from communist party. So...

Speaking of Baltic states - even though I respect their independence, only blind one cannot see that they do everything to humiliate their Russian inhabitants and to bite Russia. From other side - I understand these actions because they're angry at communists. But what it has to do with simple people? And surely they wouldn't be so brave if they don't feel support of the West. Again - I'm speaking about politics, not all nation.

It's not an easy subject to tell in few words, but...the reality is much more complicated, than you wrote above. Hope we understood each other.

Best Regards, Dmitry

This post has been edited by Dmitry on September 01, 2009 12:43 pm
PMEmail Poster
guina
Posted: September 01, 2009 11:30 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Dmitry,Hello

With russians thinking like you do,there is no problem to get to an understanding,Unfortunately,as you know,only a minority think like this,true quite a large one ( according to Livadia Center over 10 milions), and ,true,most of them inteligentsia but the rest are an easy prey to all kinds of manipulations.Now,I dont think that romanians have a negative feeling towards russian people,but rather towards succesive russian gouvernaments ,that caused ,in the last 200 years pain to romanians.I'm sure that all ableminded romanians understand that a strong,progresive,trully Democratic Russia,a Russia devoted to drasticaly improve the lot of its own people and not menacing small neighbours will serveRomanias interests.
As for Baltic states atitude,besides the factors you indicated,there is another one:Undeclared fear of very large russian comunities,which are percived ( rightly or wrongly )as not loyal to the states in which they live.

Vsevo,Dan
PMEmail Poster
MMM
Posted: September 01, 2009 01:20 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

This is getting out of topic, but...
Dmitryi, you are right, but you are NOT a decident of external policy (are you?), so your opinions count very little in your country. Indeed, the Baltic states are a nuisance and they know they are backed up by USA; still, they have a large Russian minority, right? Does that minority have its own political party or agenda? However, the reality is INDEED much too complicated for us to understand o a forum - especially since "realpolitik" seems to have came back nowadays! smile.gif
To end, the whole shield story is IMO just a way to determine everybody to pick sides. Maybe it will indeed work for a small number of missiles, but I'm asking (innocently): what would happen to those missiles if they're detonated in atmosphere? Where would the debris go? Is it really useful - and who says that? (because if only USA and its fans feel like that, I'm not so sure it's a *good* thing)

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0731 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]