Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mistery Coin, help needed
Imperialist
Posted: April 05, 2006 02:54 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

I know this is maybe too much to ask, but I found this part of a coin, and I wonder if anyone could make out what it was. It was cut or broken. I found it buried in the courtyard by sheer luck, it rained the previous days so the silt/little rocks was pretty much washed away.

On one side an "A" and a girl holding either a spear either part of a flag pole.
Or could it be one of those traditional "fus"? (just dawned on me)

user posted image

On the other side a "C" and "TASSET".

user posted image

--------------------
I
PM
dragos03
Posted: April 05, 2006 03:04 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

Looks like a silver coin of 2 lei or 1 leu, minted in 1910-1914:
http://www.numismatica.as.ro/1867-1914/1910-2lei.htm
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 05, 2006 03:13 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos03 @ Apr 5 2006, 03:04 PM)
Looks like a silver coin of 2 lei or 1 leu, minted in 1910-1912:
http://www.numismatica.as.ro/1867-1914/1910-2lei.htm

Wow, many thanks Dragos!
Cant wait for my next trip to the countryside now that I have an idea about what lies out there. I'll dig around the whole courtyard. biggrin.gif

take care

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 05, 2006 06:46 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Guys, this is very interesting. I looked with a magnifier and the coin was deliberately cut. The fact that the girl's figure was so carefully framed along with important "TASSET" clue, makes me think the person who did it wanted to leave behind a time capsule of some sort.
Its unbelievable. Some peasant stood on the sun-scortched "prispa", carefully cut this coin and threw it or buried it. Thinking about the feelings someone in the future will have when (and if) finding something so mysterious. And maybe 96 years later I found it by chance. An object so small -- its barely 1,5 cm. ohmy.gif

--------------------
I
PM
b737
Posted: April 06, 2006 06:48 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

I think that this is a rest from a coin that was used to make a ring by the gipsies!
During the comunist period a lot of silver coins were "transformed" by nomad gipsies into rings! A lot of people have distroyed their silver coins in this way!

This post has been edited by b737 on April 06, 2006 06:49 am
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: April 06, 2006 06:52 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Apr 5 2006, 07:46 PM)
Guys, this is very interesting. I looked with a magnifier and the coin was deliberately cut. The fact that the girl's figure was so carefully framed along with important "TASSET" clue, makes me think the person who did it wanted to leave behind a time capsule of some sort.
  Its unbelievable. Some peasant stood on the sun-scortched "prispa", carefully cut this coin and threw it or buried it. Thinking about the feelings someone in the future will have when (and if) finding something so mysterious. And maybe 96 years later I found it by chance. An object so small -- its barely 1,5 cm.  ohmy.gif

I do not want to disappoint you, but it is rather unlikely that things went as you mentioned. It happened in the past that old silver coins were cut and the material used for other purposes, like jewellery for example. I think that the fragment you found is more likely to have been lost rather than deliberately buried in the ground.
PM
Carol I
Posted: April 06, 2006 06:54 am
Quote Post

General de armata

B737 was faster. wink.gif
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 06, 2006 09:58 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (b737 @ Apr 6 2006, 06:48 AM)
I think that this is a rest from a coin that was used to make a ring by the gipsies!
During the comunist period a lot of silver coins were "transformed" by nomad gipsies into rings! A lot of people have distroyed their silver coins in this way!

I agree, they had to do something with the rest of the coin, but the way this fragment was cut makes me think it was deliberately done to leave TASSET there and the girl's image (irrespective if it was done in 1920s or 1950s). If it wasnt deliberate then the chances of keeping TASSET there undamaged by the close cut along with a distinct image and me finding it are pretty impressive. Maybe I should play at the lottery this week. biggrin.gif
Anyway, thank you and Carol I for the info. I'll do some research in the village when I get back and post it if its relevant. Or if I find something new around the courtyard.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
cipiamon
Posted: April 06, 2006 12:51 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 115

In the last weekend i digged a hole in my grandmothers backyard and i found a bone from a finger blink.gif
Maby tonight i will post pictures at in the Battlefields findings in the grounds topic, i have a verry bad connection right now.
PM
Carol I
Posted: April 06, 2006 01:09 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Apr 6 2006, 10:58 AM)
I agree, they had to do something with the rest of the coin, but the way this fragment was cut makes me think it was deliberately done to leave TASSET there and the girl's image (irrespective if it was done in 1920s or 1950s). If it wasnt deliberate then the chances of keeping TASSET there undamaged by the close cut along with a distinct image and me finding it are pretty impressive. Maybe I should play at the lottery this week. biggrin.gif

I still think it is only a coincidence as neither the girl nor the "TASSET" inscription is centred on the coin fragment. Both the girl and the inscription are on the same axis and therefore centring one would have meant centring the other as well. You may carry on looking, but do not have high hopes.
PM
dragos03
Posted: April 06, 2006 01:19 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

I think Imperialist is right, it's not a coincidence. It was left like that on purpose, as a sign, and probably a hoard of silver and gold coins is buried several meters under it. laugh.gif
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 06, 2006 02:15 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Carol I @ Apr 6 2006, 01:09 PM)

I still think it is only a coincidence as neither the girl nor the "TASSET" inscription is centred on the coin fragment. Both the girl and the inscription are on the same axis and therefore centring one would have meant centring the other as well. You may carry on looking, but do not have high hopes.

You can see on the side of the girl a first attempt of cutting (that long "sant" near the side, besides the fus). The coin was then turned and the cut proceeds diagonally downwards from the very edge of the last "T" in TASSET. I dont think that was by chance. Which makes me think he had a purpose for doing this.
Also this was the most informationally useful (and somewhat beautiful) part of the coin and economically harmless to dispense with while making anything else with the rest.
I dont have high hopes for my next search. I expect having less luck when actually searching for luck. Luck hits you when you least expect but then runs away if you try to catch more of it. biggrin.gif

take care

This post has been edited by Imperialist on April 06, 2006 02:26 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Carol I
Posted: April 10, 2006 07:45 am
Quote Post

General de armata

This is the rough cut of the coin.

user posted image
PM
Dénes
Posted: June 29, 2006 02:53 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Here's the scan of a coin I found on an unrelated site on the 'net, of a "Moldova and Wallachia, 2 Para, 3 Dengi, 1773".
Reportedly, the coin displays the coats of arms of both Moldavia and Wallachia on the same side. A monetary union already in the XVIIIth Century? ohmy.gif
Just curious...

user posted image

user posted image

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on June 29, 2006 03:47 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dragos03
Posted: June 29, 2006 03:05 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

I am not an expert in coins, but i think this is one of the "Sadagura" coins, minted by the Russians in order to be used by their army that occupied the Romanian principalities.

Edit: Ideed, you can find more informations about these coins here: http://romaniancoins.ancients.info/sadagura.htm
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.3024 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]