Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tank commanders
Iamandi
Posted: December 21, 2004 06:53 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

QUOTE (Victor @ Dec 20 2004, 08:05 PM)
Cpt. Ioan Cernea was born on 28 January 1900 in Galata, near Iasi/Jassy. In 1943 he was the CO of the 55th Tank Company, equipped with T-38 tanks (Romanian designation for the Skoda LT 38), which was subordinated to the Mountain Corps. On 1 November 1943, the 4th Ukrainian Front started the first offensive in Crimea. It managed to establish a bridgehead south of the Sivash Sea. This bridgehead was contained by the Romanian 23rd and 24th Mountain Battalions, the 2nd Battalion/4th Artillery Regiment and 37th AT Company (from the 1st Mountain Division) and 15th Mountain Battalion and 53rd Tank Company (from the 2nd Mountain Division), which were under command of col. Grigore Balan, the deputy CO of the 2nd Mountain Division. The tank company arrived at Karanky during the night of 3/4 November 1943. The following day, cpt. Cernea led his 12 tanks against the Soviet positions on Hill 19.2 and overran them, advancing 9 km northwards. His tank was hit probably by an AT gun and he was killed. By the end of November 1943, his company had lost 9 out of 12 tanks. Cpt. Cernea was later awarded the Mihai Viteazul Order 3rd class posthumously.

CKD or TNHP (LT 38/ Pz38)

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: December 21, 2004 06:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Yes.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mareşal Boboescu
Posted: December 23, 2004 07:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 397

I recomend the work of Col. Constantin Ucrain "Tanchistii". It is a work which gives a detail of a lot of romanian tank aces startig from General Ioan Sion.

HONOR ET PATRIA

Ml. B.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: December 23, 2004 07:56 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Well, could you list some of them? I do not mean the generals or colonels, who weren't actually armor experts (gen. Sion died at Chernishevskaya as CO of the 15th Infantry Division), but the lesser ranks: captains, lieutenants that commanded companies and platoons.
Victor
Posted: December 24, 2004 09:56 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Other tank commanders that received the Mihai Viteazul 3rd class:

1. lt. Dinu Marin Georgescu, from the 2nd Tank Regiment, KIA on 17 July 1941.
2. slt. (r ) Gheorghe Sotir, from the 1st Tank Regiment, who distinguished himself at Tomai, Vosnicei, Plahteevka and Lihtental, where he was eventually killed in action in his tank.
3. cpt. Nicolae Mitu, from the 1st Tank Regiment, who commanded the attack that captured Franzfeld on 24 August, during the battle of Odessa.
4. slt. (r ) Alexandru Oltei, from the 1st Tank Regiment, who commanded a tank platoon in the fights around Franzfeld on 24 August.
5. cpt. Florea Parvanescu, from the 1st Tank Regiment, who distinguished himself in the fights at Osinovsky during November 1942, whern the 1st Armored Division was struggling to escape destruction at Stalingrad.
Iamandi
Posted: December 24, 2004 10:33 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Who read this books...
Any memories / storyes with fights between LT-35, LT-38, Renault R-35 (romanian variants of this tanks) and tanks superior to them, like T-34? 37 and 45 m.m. against sloped armour... At what distance can do something this guns? Was figths with superior machines.. how it say - "evitate"

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 08, 2005 05:12 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 198

user posted image
Anyone have any ideas about this photo ?
A woman tanker, 2nd Lieutenant - WW2
Wears a cavalry uniform with tanker badge. Mechanized cavalry.
PMYahooMSN
Victor
Posted: January 09, 2005 07:31 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Maybe she just photographed herself in the husband's/boyfriend's uniform. I have such a photo in the family album: my great-grandmother in her husband's uniform.
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:04 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image
I do not know if I agree with this woman wearing her husbands uniform.
Here is another photo of this person. I wonder if during the War, woman were recruited as officers to fill a shortage of men officers who went to war in Russia ?
PMYahooMSN
Iamandi
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:11 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ Jan 9 2005, 06:04 PM)
user posted image
I do not know if I agree with this woman wearing her husbands uniform.
Here is another photo of this person. I wonder if during the War, woman were recruited as officers to fill a shortage of men officers who went to war in Russia ?

Uniform fits ok on her. This picture give more help to try a conclusion. What chances were to his husband to have much the same dimension with her? But.. tankists in general are not big mans, because are not have too much space in tanks. Clear, is not a propaganda like picture. Is a domestical one - from margins of the pictures, i conclude.
Try to resize the picture... Force a little in resolution... Make a zoom and try to see what had under the "veston". If is not a uniform official piece, is like Victor say. If it is a piece of uniform... But is hard to believe that we had women as tankists in ww2!

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:14 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image
Another example of a woman officer. Posing with her husband. Amsor and Niky Draghiescu both 2nd Lieutenants, Infantry. Dated Feb.23, 1943. Husband wears button hole ribbon of German Iron Cross and the Michael the Brave Unit Citation aguilette. Niky wears an open collar shirt just like the woman tanker. However, pant legs are worn outside of the boots / shoes. Perhaps had a regimental administrative role ?
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:18 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image
Last photo. Dated May 18, 1943. Woman officer 2nd Lieutenant wearing an Infantry uniform but dressed more like a male officer with pants tucked into boots and a button up shirt and tie.
PMYahooMSN
Iamandi
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:24 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Woman wearing pant in boots!?!? I think im in a way to be off topic.... But Why? A women to walk in heavy boots or shoes ("ghete"- cum se zice) is a disatvantage. Her muscular mass is not make to use this for long time. And in front conditions, a women in army boots is ... the last secret weapon... Well, maybe is time to stop myself...

Iama

PS - I never see such thing you posted here!
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:37 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

I have alot of photos of women in the Romanian military. A few common treads in most of these photos during WW1 and WW2 were related to Military training or schools, Cavalry, and Administration. Alot of the photos identify large cities were they were taken like Bucharest. I do not have any photos or evidence that woman during the war participated in actual combat.
PMYahooMSN
Dénes
Posted: January 09, 2005 06:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ Jan 10 2005, 12:37 AM)
I do not have any photos or evidence that woman during the war participated in actual combat.

I believe that women were not allowed to perform front-line duty, only secondary tasks.
The closest a Rumanian woman got to combat was the aviatrixes of the so-called 'White Squadron', who ferried wounded in their small airplanes from the frontline to the rear area.

Gen. Dénes
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0301 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]