Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (15) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Regimental badges of the Romanian army
Carol I
Posted: November 24, 2003 05:00 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

I would like to have some more information about the regimental badges that were in use during Carol II’s reign. I have to admit that I know almost nothing about them except that they were introduced by Carol II for the officers that served a number of years (7 or more) in a particular regiment. I think I read somewhere that he thus tried to introduce a tradition similar to that of the French regiments, but the use of regimental badges did not seem to last long in the Romanian army. Do you know when they were introduced and how did their use come to an end? Was it an official decision to discontinue their use? Were there any other badges used in the Romanian army except the pilot and observer badges as well as the badges of the graduates of the Military Academy?

I think I have somewhere photos of two regimental badges. I will post the images as soon as I will find them. But I will appreciate if you would post any image of the regimental badges in your collections.

Carol I
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 24, 2003 05:01 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Regimentul 9 Rosiori - 9th Hussars Regiment

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 24, 2003 05:01 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Regimentul 10 Rosiori - 10th Hussars Regiment

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: December 16, 2003 02:48 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

This is not a Romanian regimental badge, but it is somehow related to Romania.
It belongs to the Russian 18th Infantry Regiment "King of Romania".

user posted image

This unit was also called 18th Infantry Regiment "Wologda".
PM
Carol I
Posted: January 14, 2004 02:34 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Scoala de Aplicatie a Infanteriei - Application School for Infantry

user posted image
PM
Cuza
Posted: January 14, 2004 08:35 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 165

A reference book supposedly exists written in Romanian. I have seen a copy of a page from it. Maybe someone in the Forum knows of it. I have several of the badges and will try to post them for you. I gave up trying to collect them because of the sheer number and lack of information.

Cuza
PM
Carol I
Posted: January 15, 2004 10:55 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Thanks a lot for the information and for the offer to post your images (may I help you somehow?).

I am not into collecting regimental badges, but when I stumbled upon some images I have also found that there is very little information about them.
PM
Cuza
Posted: January 15, 2004 08:53 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

[quote="Carol I"]Thanks a lot for the information and for the offer to post your images (may I help you somehow?).

If you could find some time for me to scan them that would be appreciated!
PM
rcristi
Posted: January 15, 2004 09:20 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 177

This is not a Romanian regimental badge, but it is somehow related to Romania.
It belongs to the Russian 18th Infantry Regiment \"King of Romania\".

user posted image

This unit was also called 18th Infantry Regiment \"Wologda\".

What's the story behind this regiment? How they got this name? I presume that was during WW I, isn't it?
PMUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: January 15, 2004 10:42 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

What's the story behind this regiment? How they got this name? I presume that was during WW I, isn't it?

Sorry, I do not know the history of this regiment. But I guess that it got the "King of Romania" name during the visit of King Carol I to Russia sometime in the end of the 19th century. It was common practice to give a regiment the name of a visiting sovereign and to the sovereign an honorary commission in that regiment.
PM
Cuza
Posted: January 15, 2004 10:50 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Sorry, I do not know the history of this regiment. But I guess that it got the "King of Romania" name during the visit of King Carol I to Russia sometime in the end of the 19th century. It was common practice to give a regiment the name of a visiting sovereign and to the sovereign an honorary commission in that regiment.

According to Andolenko Carol I was the honorary commander of the Vologda (as opposed to Wologda) Infantry Regiment from 1898 to 1917. Vologda is a Russian province north of Moscow.
I don't know anything else about the regiment.
PM
Carol I
Posted: January 16, 2004 12:38 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Do you know what was the Romanian regiment entitled "Czar of Russia"? What has happened to its name after the Russian revolution of 1917?
PM
Cuza
Posted: January 16, 2004 04:56 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

[quote]Do you know what was the Romanian regiment entitled "Czar of Russia"? What has happened to its name after the Russian revolution of 1917?[/quote]

I can't find any regiment by that name in my reference books-any additional information?
PM
Carol I
Posted: January 16, 2004 05:19 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

I just thought that if a regiment entitled "King of Romania" existed in the Russian army, one entitled "Czar of Russia" or something similarly should have existed in the Romanian army.
PM
Cuza
Posted: January 16, 2004 06:38 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

[quote]I just thought that if a regiment entitled "King of Romania" existed in the Russian army, one entitled "Czar of Russia" or something similarly should have existed in the Romanian army.[/quote]

I do show a 7th Rosiori Nich II cavalry reg badge listed in my database-I will try to find it this weekend.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (15) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0299 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]