Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Russian anti-communist units and Romanians, Points of contact?
Florian
Posted: June 19, 2013 01:57 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3526

Greetings everyone, I'm new here and I was glad to find a forum dedicated to WWII Romania!

I'm interested if anyone knows of any contacts between the Romanian forces and Russian anti-communist units. Most Russian anti-communist units were concentrated more north of the Romanian front (RONA, RNNA, and so on), but there was a considerable involvement of anti-communist Russian units in Stalingrad where the 3rd and 4th Romanian army were.

The one explicit instance I know of was that in Odessa, Pintea's administration permitted a recruiting post for the Russian Liberation Army (as of that moment still existing only on paper). Apparently the huge interest and amount of donations got the administration nervous and the operation was forced to shut down.

I'm also aware that the Russian Corps in Serbia (anticommunist unit that fought Tito's partisans) was able to recruit some red army POWs in Odessa and take them back to Serbia.

Lastly, when Horia Sima made his trip to Mussolini, apparently he complained about the way Hitler's eastern policy was treating the 'white Russians' (I wish I could find this quote but I can't seem to find it anywhere). I'm not sure if he meant Belorussians, anti-communist Russians, Russians in general, or if it was a misquote/mistranslate. Again, source is missing.

There was an active Russian anti-communist organization in Bucharest as well (NTS), but that was just before the war.

Any insights appreciated...
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: June 19, 2013 08:04 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

QUOTE (Florian @ June 19, 2013 01:57 am)
there was a considerable involvement of anti-communist Russian units in Stalingrad where the 3rd and 4th Romanian army were.

This seems to be a speculation
PMEmail Poster
Florian
Posted: June 19, 2013 12:57 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3526

QUOTE (Petre @ June 19, 2013 08:04 am)
QUOTE (Florian @ June 19, 2013 01:57 am)
there was a considerable involvement of anti-communist Russian units in Stalingrad where the 3rd and 4th Romanian army were.

This seems to be a speculation

I have a Russian source that confirms that 70,000 Russians were fighting on the axis side during the Stalingrad battle. Most were incorporated into German units, there were a few small individual cossack units as well.

The historian is Kirill Aleksandrov, author of several works on the Vlasov movement. I don't have a text confirmation of the source but he gave an audio interview on a radio program (in Russian) where he mentioned that exact figure.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0360 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]