Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> FARR rejecting the Il-2?
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 27, 2010 09:14 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

QUOTE (Dénes @ January 01, 2010 08:36 pm)
Radu described the actual situation with the Henschel Hs 129 pretty accurately.

As for your other sentence, namely "I thought that Germans had often the intention to give us mainly their outdated planes...", that's another myth that somehow still persists even after Communism-influenced writings (those bad fascists, etc.) are (supposed to be) over for 20 years now.

Rumania was Germany's most important ally among the Central and East European Axis countries and received military assistance accordingly. In 1940, for example, Bucharest received the modern Bf 109E fighter and the venerable He 111H bomber. After two years gap, in the Spring of 1943 ARR (more precisely C1ARR) was re-equipped with the same first-line aircraft types Luftwaffe units were wighting with (including the Hs 129) - and all this for free (true, they could be used on the front zone only). And so on.

Gen. Dénes

Were all of them offered for free ? As I know at least a good part of them were offered in exchange for oil and other supplies (but mostly oil).
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: January 30, 2010 09:15 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (D13-th_Mytzu @ January 28, 2010 03:14 am)
Were all of them offered for free ? As I know at least a good part of them were offered in exchange for oil and other supplies (but mostly oil).

There were two categories of German-made warplanes used by ARR during the war:
1, those to be used exclusively on the front, within Corpul 1 Aerian Regal Roman, and
2, those to be used in Rumania (and occasionally on the front, too).

The C1ARR airplanes were given to ARR from the Spring of 1943 on by the Germans for free, but they could be used only on the front zone (incl. Bessarabia and Moldavia in 1944). These were practically German property, despite carrying ARR markings.
The second category was Rumanian property, bought for cash and natural resources (incl. oil and wheat, you've mentioned), from 1938 on.

I hope this clarifies the issue, setting right many misconceptions regarding German airplanes in ARR (incl. the fact that after 23 August 1944 the Germans did not capture or confiscate Rumanian airplanes, as these actually were their property. Rather the opposite is true, namely almost all C1ARR aircraft that fought on the so-called 'Western Front', against the Germans and Hungarians, were in fact captured ones, former German property).

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on January 30, 2010 09:17 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Vici
Posted: February 01, 2010 03:03 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (Radub @ January 01, 2010 11:16 am)
The Romanian Hs129 used 6 x 50Kg bombs under the fuselage as the main antitank weapon. These bombs were launched at the tanks using a method called a "turnip lob".

Radu

Could you please describe this bombing method? I haven't found anything on it.

As a side note, in the literature dedicated to the ARR in WW2 there is almost no mention of specific tactics, combat methods and their efectiveness in combat. At best, there are some fugitive remarks or sometimes one can deduct them from the context. How did Romanian combat methods and tactics differed from German ones, in different stages of the war? What about the weaponry used (bombs) Were they German made or licensed, or indigenous Romanian designs? French, English, Polish for the respctively manufactured planes? There must have been thousands, if not tens of thousands dropped by the ARR in combat, yet all I found about them is the weight - and that very rarely mentioned.

The books and articles about the ARR during WW2 – at least the ones I’ve read - focus mostly on aircraft and the people who flew them, with operations described rather superficially, and mostly from eye witness accounts - which, while very interesting, can never give an overall picture.

I'd really love to see a thread on ARR tactics, combat methods, typical weapon employment and their effectiveness.
Sorry for the off topic.

This post has been edited by Vici on February 01, 2010 03:08 pm
PM
Radub
Posted: February 07, 2010 06:03 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Vici @ February 01, 2010 03:03 pm)
QUOTE (Radub @ January 01, 2010 11:16 am)
The Romanian Hs129 used 6 x 50Kg bombs under the fuselage as the main antitank weapon. These bombs were launched at the tanks using a method called a "turnip lob".

Radu

Could you please describe this bombing method? I haven't found anything on it.

Well, it is a kind of combination between level and dive bombing, without really being either.

First of all I need to explain what a "lob" is. Try to picture yourself gently throwing an object to a target painted on the ground in front of you, but underarm "from below" in an arc not "from near your ear" or "from the shoulder". You have your arm straight down, with the object in your hand (like when throwing a bowling ball). You swing your arm back a bit, move your arm like a pendulum, and when your arm is in front of you, you let go of the object. That object will travel forward and upward in an arc and land from above into your target. That is a "lob". With some practice, you can learn how much swing you need and how far up your arm needs to be when you let go of the object in order to land on your target. Think of the game of Bowls of

To recreate that "pendulum" movement, the aircraft engaged the target in a shallow dive and when close to the target, the aircraft pulled up steeply while releasing the bomb. The bomb then travelled forward and upward in an arc and then landed on the target from above.

I hope this makes sense.

Radu
Vici
Posted: February 09, 2010 01:45 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2455

Understood it perfectly, thanks. In essence it is the "dive tossing" used later by jets.

But what is the reason behind using this particular method? Wouldn't a normal dive (like Stukas) been more accurate and easy to learn for the pilot?
PM
Radub
Posted: February 09, 2010 02:17 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Vici @ February 09, 2010 01:45 pm)
Understood it perfectly, thanks. In essence it is the "dive tossing" used later by jets.

But what is the reason behind using this particular method? Wouldn't a normal dive (like Stukas) been more accurate and easy to learn for the pilot?

I do not know why they preferred that method, but I guess it has to do with the fact that the Hs129 flew low and slow, whereas dive bombing run needs to start at some altitude. Furthermore, dive bombers need to be fitted with aerodynamic devices (air brakes) to slow them in a dive. These slow down the plane to some degree in level flight too. That is why, late Ju87s flew without dive brakes (which made them slighlty faster) and used the "turnip lob" method of bombing instead of dive bombing.
Radu
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: February 09, 2010 02:50 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

As Radu said, they were flying low and slow (300+ km/h) and lacked dive brakes; droping it like that would allow the plane to clear out the blast area while not using bomb delay (which would further complicate calculations when attacking a moving target such as a tank).
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0698 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]