Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian R-2 questions
dragos
Posted: June 11, 2008 04:14 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I want to build a Romanian R-2 from a CMK Pz.Kpfw 35(t) 1/35 kit.

Does anyone have pictures of a R-2 tank coming from the German delivery of 26 PzKpfw 35(t) in 1942? I have to know the painting scheme (I presume it was the same olive-green as the other R-2 tanks) and the markings.

If no such info is available, I guess I'll have to convert the kit to one of the Romanian variant, for which I have to know all the external differences between the standard LT vz 35 and the version build for Romania.

Thanks
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Messerschmitt
Posted: June 12, 2008 06:43 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 975

QUOTE (dragos @ June 11, 2008 07:14 pm)
I want to build a Romanian R-2 from a CMK Pz.Kpfw 35(t) 1/35 kit.

Does anyone have pictures of a R-2 tank coming from the German delivery of 26 PzKpfw 35(t) in 1942? I have to know the painting scheme (I presume it was the same olive-green as the other R-2 tanks) and the markings.

If no such info is available, I guess I'll have to convert the kit to one of the Romanian variant, for which I have to know all the external differences between the standard LT vz 35 and the version build for Romania.

Thanks

Hello dragos,
here is a link to a color profile of the romanian R-2, probbably in a winter camo.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehi...1-Tanks/R-2.htm
By the way, can you showu us the kit? I`m also interested in the R-2 but unfortunately i model at 1:72 scale.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
dsfraser
Posted: July 22, 2008 02:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1648

I wouldn't trust that drawing.

The R-2s delivered to Romania were built to Romanian specifications, and that would include the colour. Likewise, the tanks delivered from Wehrmacht inventories would almost certainly have been Panzer Grey, with the standard (curved) rear turret.

As for differences, the major one that I know of is the rear turret plate. It's not an easy detail to pick up in photos, but I have drawings from a Russiam magazine that show it nicely. Basically, the Czech and German machines had a curved plate for the rear turret which on Romanian R-2s was replaced by two flat plates.

It's not a big deal to model — chop out the turret rear and replace it with two pieces of sheet plastic. the fiddly part is that the rivets on the rear and along the top rear edge have to be replaced.

As for improvements, ModelKasten make a set of tracks that are absolutely necessary. A Russian company called 5,45 has cast metal tracks similar to Fruilismo, but they are very hard to get outside Russia. WW2 Productions (Australia) have resin tracks that include new roadwheels, but they are stupid expensive, about twice what the kit costs. The Kasten tracks are very nice.

Eduard makes photoetch that was at one time bundled with the CMK kit. It is out of production, but still available. Royal Model (Italy) also has an outstanding photoetch set that includes some resin, but it is also quite expensive.

Charles Kliment has written several books on Czech tanks that have been published by MBI. His book on the LT vz 35 is typical, and very well done. It focuses on Czech and german use, naturally, but there is a bit on Romanian tanks.

This one of my all-time favourite tanks, so typical of the years prior to WW2.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: August 16, 2008 10:31 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (dsfraser @ July 22, 2008 05:18 pm)
As for differences, the major one that I know of is the rear turret plate. It's not an easy detail to pick up in photos, but I have drawings from a Russiam magazine that show it nicely. Basically, the Czech and German machines had a curved plate for the rear turret which on Romanian R-2s was replaced by two flat plates.

It's not a big deal to model — chop out the turret rear and replace it with two pieces of sheet plastic. the fiddly part is that the rivets on the rear and along the top rear edge have to be replaced.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand, where are the two flat plates on the rear of the turret you are speaking of?

Can post the images from the Russian magazine?

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: August 16, 2008 03:14 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

The two flat armour plates at the rear of the turret (R2) instead of the curved one (Lt 35) and a single flat armour plate at the rear of the engine compartment (R2) instead of three (Lt 35), were the outside differences of the R2 and Lt 35. I'm not at home so I can't scan the drawings from Modelism.

Unfortunately no R2 survived until now the one at MMN is a Lt 35 and the TACAM is also built on a Lt 35 "cutie blindata" I don't know the english word tongue.gif .
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: August 16, 2008 03:26 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Thanks, I will wait for the pictures then.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: August 19, 2008 12:55 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

The scan is from Modelism.
On the left is LT-35 and on the right R2. I have highlighted the areas of interest.
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: August 19, 2008 01:05 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Thank you Mihnea, but I also need a top down drawing to see the angles.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: August 19, 2008 01:15 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

This pictures contradicts the flat plate at the rear of the engine.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/foto/?id=320&area=...est&language=en
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: August 19, 2008 01:18 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Same source.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: August 19, 2008 01:22 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Thanks!
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
kaba-maru
Posted: August 20, 2008 09:18 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1832

QUOTE (dragos @ August 19, 2008 01:15 pm)
This pictures contradicts the flat plate at the rear of the engine.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/foto/?id=320&area=...est&language=en

Hello dragos.

Some R-2s had flattend hull rear and some had three plates as LT-35/35(t).
(So you can omit remodeling the hull smile.gif )
But a pintle at the center of a rear plate is a feature of R-2.

On the other hand, perhaps all R-2s had angled turret rear.

MMN 'R-2' has a pintle, so it may be composition of R-2 hull + 35(t) turret.
MMN TACAM has no pintle, so its hull is perhaps from Pz.Kpfw.35(t) brought from Germany in 1942.
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: August 20, 2008 10:08 am
Quote Post

Capitan

In 1937 Romania received 15 LT-35 identical to the ones made for the czech army, for training propose,s these tanks were sent back to Skoda in 1938 to be modified to romanian specifications but the hull and turret design remained unchanged except for the central rear towing point only seen on R2's and the Lt-35 from MMN. wink.gif

See the picture below:
user posted image

The TACAM on the other hand is missing the central towing point so it might be built on a Lt-35 received later from the germans.
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: September 11, 2009 07:34 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

What about this difference at the front part of the fenders? Was it specific to R-2?

user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
kaba-maru
Posted: September 12, 2009 07:48 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1832

QUOTE (dragos @ September 11, 2009 07:34 pm)
What about this difference at the front part of the fenders? Was it specific to R-2?

This is soft material front fender covering (probably made of rubber).
Not only R-2s but all LT vz.35/Pz.Kpfw.35(t) have it.

The part is weak, so most vehicles in the museum today have lost this.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0468 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]