Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How can we help?, Restoring MiG-15 in Caransebes
electric
Posted: June 10, 2008 11:52 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 380

MiG-15 Caransebes

In Caransebes city they have a MiG-15, decomposing for at least 15 years. Some of the locals wants to restore and move the plane to a better location.
The mayor has agreed, but the proposal will have to pass through the Local Council.

Is there any way we (WW2.ro community) may help?

In strandul orasului avem un mig-15. la propunerea unu prieten am decis sa facem niste demersuri pentru a-l restaura cat de cat si a-l amplasa intr-un loc mai potrivit ...
in principiu primarul a fost de acord, urmand sa se discute in consiliul lor ce si cum.
problema cea mai mare este ca avionul acolo de cel putin 15 ani, si..fiind in romania, nu a scapat prea usor de vandalismele concetatenilor.
am atasat aici cateva poze pentru a va face o idee despre el, am identificat o parte din problemele care le are, rog pe aceasta cale daca cineva e interesat sau daca stie pe cineva interesat de prin zona care ne-ar putea ajuta..un maistru care a lucrat cu aceste avioane ne-ar mai usura munca..mai ales daca l-am putea demonta la transport...

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: June 10, 2008 07:48 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Off-topic. If anyone is from Caransebes, and has a bit of free time to do some research on my behalf, please contact me in private.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: June 11, 2008 07:45 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

--------------------
I
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: June 11, 2008 07:51 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

Hopefully they can restore it and mount it as a town mascot on a roundabout, similar to this plane in Petrosani, the plane was sitting for many years at the grass airstrip in Deva.
Another good reason for mounting it on a roundabout it will keep the kids and vandals away from it.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: June 11, 2008 02:07 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Imperialist @ June 11, 2008 09:45 am)
How about this:

http://www.vedetetv.biz/news/statuia-pompi...ufarul-vuitton/

I passed by two days ago and I was very unplesently surprised. There was more than enough space to place that thing in the Arsenal Square. The person who authorized this should be audited.

Back on topic, placing the airplane in a rond-point sounds like a good idea. How can we help? Probably with money for restoring the aircraft.
electric
Posted: June 13, 2008 12:41 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 380

QUOTE (Imperialist @ June 11, 2008 07:45 am)
How about this:

http://www.vedetetv.biz/news/statuia-pompi...ufarul-vuitton/

well... some of bucharest people took action...
http://www.evz.ro/articole/detalii-articol...st-vandalizata/
Valiza imensă care acoperă în totalitate Statuia Pompierilor a fost tăiată pe o porţiune de aproximativ jumătate de metru. Pe postament, în faţa cufărului de lux - în semn de protest faţă de îndrăzneala celor de la Vuitton şi a uşurinţei cu care autorităţile le-au pus la dispoziţie, gratuit, monumentul -, a fost depusă o coroană de flori. “În cinstea Eroilor Pompieri, din partea ziarului Bursa” – acesta este mesajul înscris pe panglica albă a coroanei mortuare.
PMEmail Poster
Jeroen
Posted: April 14, 2009 09:03 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2449

When was this Mig-15 number 333 presented to the 73 helikopter regiment or given to the town, who remembers about it?
When I visited the airfield Caransebes on aviatian day back in 1991 I do not recall having seen a Mig-15 either on the airfield nor in the hangars. As a foreigner the commander allowed me inside the airfield but put a soldier with AK47 to walk with me all day. There was limonade, beer, barbeque beatifull weather and lots of familie of aviators, I remember especialy MiG23UB 135 who was thundering over the caransebes runway 11, sudden appearing from behind one of the hangars!
Those were the days!
Where romanian Mig15s based there and until when?
When did last IAR316 and IAR 330 leave Caransebes?
Who were last commanders of the grupul?
How many IAR316 or IAR 330 belonged to an escadrila, regimentul or grupul?

Jeroen
PMEmail Poster
Jeroen
Posted: April 15, 2009 07:48 am
Quote Post

Caporal

From the Balaci thread and Zapcitu I learned that 135th regt was at the airfield with Yak23 at least!? Is there more information about that unit, was it relocated or any punishment because of, or in relation with the defecting plane and pilot, who did not only comprise jet technology to Yugoslavija and USA but also info?

Are more airplanes preserved in different towns around the country?

Jeroen

This post has been edited by Jeroen on April 15, 2009 07:51 am
PMEmail Poster
Vici
Posted: April 18, 2009 10:41 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2455

MiG-15s never flew at Caransebes. The base was closed in 1958, when the Yak-23 were retired from service. It was reactivated as a helicopter base in the early 80's, housing IAR-316B Alouette III and IAR-330 Puma.

As of November 1990, they had 15 Alouettes and 16 Pumas. The base was disbanded in December 2001, the remaining Pumas being sent at Timisoara - Giarmata.

The MiG-15s were sent for scrapping at Caransebes in 1993, as a result of CFE (Conventional Forces Europe) agreements. 333 was saved due to a private initiative of the mechanics who cut them to pieces.

Do you have any pictures from your base visit at Caransebes?

This post has been edited by Vici on April 18, 2009 10:45 am
PM
Dénes
Posted: April 18, 2009 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I.A.R.-built Bf 109Gs were also based at Caransebes in the 1950s.

Gen. Dénes
Jeroen
Posted: April 18, 2009 08:28 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

QUOTE (Vici @ April 18, 2009 10:41 am)
MiG-15s never flew at Caransebes. The base was closed in 1958, when the Yak-23 were retired from service. It was reactivated as a helicopter base in the early 80's, housing IAR-316B Alouette III and IAR-330 Puma.

As of November 1990, they had 15 Alouettes and 16 Pumas. The base was disbanded in December 2001, the remaining Pumas being sent at Timisoara - Giarmata.

The MiG-15s were sent for scrapping at Caransebes in 1993, as a result of CFE (Conventional Forces Europe) agreements. 333 was saved due to a private initiative of the mechanics who cut them to pieces.

Do you have any pictures from your base visit at Caransebes?

Thanks Vici and Denes!

You inform about the strenght of that unit, interestingly there were respectively only 13 and 12 parking places besides the parallel taxiway! Of course there were parking lots on the apron in front of the 4 hangars.

Do you know where the MiG-15 came from, Craiova Ianca or elsewhere?
CFE reductions were in periode 1991-1995.
I remember seeing 10 dismantled MiG15/17 and one MiG-15uti a Ianca 24 june 1991, so they were scrapped there also!
Do you have a list of nose numbers of destroyed a/c at Caransebes?

About photography, no, as a western foreigner in 1991 I was not allowed to take any pictures on an operational romanian military baza, of course.
Those were the days. I do not remember seeing either any Romanian military, or wife taking pictures then, allthough I know some even did clandestinely in those days. Baneasa was a different matter.

Jeroen
PMEmail Poster
Vici
Posted: April 19, 2009 12:49 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (Jeroen @ April 18, 2009 08:28 pm)
Baneasa was a different matter.

So you do have pictures from Baneasa? Let's see them.
The only units still operating MiG-15 in the late 80's and early 90's were the two fighter-bomber regiments at Craiova (67th) and Ianca (49th), so the ones scrapped at Caransebes could only come from these two units. MiG-17 were to be found only at Craiova.

No idea about the side numbers / serials. As a side note, the last flight with a MiG-15 at Ianca was on 30 March 1992.
PM
lucian
Posted: April 28, 2009 07:58 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 1402

Today I meet an expilot Constantin Militaru ("Milibaci"), now at 60, retired. He told me two interesant things. First: at Caransebes landed an Mig-15(17) from Craiova, who has lost itself. Number 203(...?). The runway was too short, and the plane was out of order. Second: after war, here was stationed romanian Il10 (...?).
In '80 after supersonic stage (a dificult jump from plane), he become helicopter pilot and he live in Caransebes.
Because Caransebes valey, he don't like the base and the runway. Hard to land.
PMEmail Poster
Jeroen
Posted: April 28, 2009 08:32 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Thanks Lucian!

When, what year, was this diversion landing (overrunning?) incident with the MiG?
When in 1980 did he eject from his plane, where, why, what technical problem, etcetera, number of the plane?

Jeroen

This post has been edited by Jeroen on April 28, 2009 08:34 pm
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0548 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]