Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> East Front 1944 pictures, Newville PA
RHaught
Posted: February 17, 2008 06:13 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Just got back and posted the pictures I was able to take. They are the first 7 only but waiting to get more pictures from other people. Be easy on the critiques since we are still trying to find items that are better to use. The location is used for WWI reenacting thus the trenches, barbed wire and shell holes.

9th Romanian reenactors
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
mihnea
Posted: February 17, 2008 07:41 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

Nice pictures but you need some proper greatcoats and fur hats all in all it seemed a nice event.

I opened another topic on repainted/restored helmets as the color of your helmets attracted my attention.
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: February 17, 2008 08:43 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (mihnea @ February 17, 2008 07:41 pm)
Nice pictures but you need some proper greatcoats and fur hats all in all it seemed a nice event.

I opened another topic on repainted/restored helmets as the color of your helmets attracted my attention.

Still working on getting someone to do greatcoats and will be getting some fur hats this summer. For this location helmets are better since I now have two bumps on my head from hitting beams. Helmets are going to be repainted but they arrived a few days before the event started.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
mihnea
Posted: February 17, 2008 08:50 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

You haven't seen traditional Romanian fur hats they are very good at protecting your head even from falling bricks; they are abut half an inch thick wink.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: February 25, 2008 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Well I guess there two people out there who have all the correct gear and items to portray a Romanian soldier (Just the Miller and the Electric Victorian):

MySpace Forum

This post has been edited by RHaught on February 25, 2008 09:43 pm
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: February 26, 2008 10:26 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

My two pence about those comments made by the E.V.

He would be very surprised at the condition of the dress in any main European Army as the course of the war progressed, particularly the Germans, and her allies.

take a look at any picture circa 1938 as they marched off to Poland all nice and handsome in their uniforms, from 1941 onwards it was a case of take what you can find and to hell with the regulations. especially on the Eastern Front.

If, he wants to dress up as a parade ground dummy from 1938 that's fine, but he should at least have the good manners and knowledge of the history of WW2, and to know there were an infinite amount of changes, conversions and make do measures as the war progressed. Some official and some ad-hovc.

At least you guys are making an attempt, pity is most guys want to dress up as "zee germans" to full fill their fantasy's.

user posted image

user posted image
Pictures posted at GMIC Forum.

These guys would need an "Auntie Ju" each to get their fat butts off the ground, and the Wehrmacht chutes would never function with these "wide loads" under them.

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: February 26, 2008 11:15 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ February 26, 2008 10:26 am)
My two pence about those comments made by the E.V.

He would be very surprised at the condition of the dress in any main European Army as the course of the war progressed, particularly the Germans, and her allies.

take a look at any picture circa 1938 as they marched off to Poland all nice and handsome in their uniforms, from 1941 onwards it was a case of take what you can find and to hell with the regulations. especially on the Eastern Front.

If, he wants to dress up as a parade ground dummy from 1938 that's fine, but he should at least have the good manners and knowledge of the history of WW2, and to know there were an infinite amount of changes, conversions and make do measures as the war progressed. Some official and some ad-hovc.

At least you guys are making an attempt, pity is most guys want to dress up as "zee germans" to full fill their fantasy's.

user posted image

user posted image
Pictures posted at GMIC Forum.

These guys would need an "Auntie Ju" each to get their fat butts off the ground, and the Wehrmacht chutes would never function with these "wide loads" under them.

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif  laugh.gif

Kevin,

True, too bad they didn't read up on actual history but go by the book on everything. The scenerio was really late war so we did have the uniforms, gasmask bags, breadbags, belt w/ buckle and ammo pouches. Rifles are a little tricky here in NY and NJ for us. The one from PA came with a nagant instead of VZ24 since we were going for an ad-hoc impression thus the overcoats plus not enough time to do a conversion correctly right now for the overcoat. just the miller is more of a personal issue with two members of the unit (and we both were there). Not going into it publicly so as not to go to his level. Looks like a case of those who really do not know anything but trying to look like they are the almighty reenactors and all knowing of history. As for your pics above that was funny. The group unit is good however since I know the one in the back of the truck by himself. How about this one of a so-called elite reenactment group here in the eastern US:

user posted image

and their camp that is supposed to be during Normandy (this is a pilots dream!):
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
mihnea
Posted: February 27, 2008 08:20 am
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (RHaught @ February 25, 2008 11:43 pm)
Well I guess there two people out there who have all the correct gear and items to portray a Romanian soldier (Just the Miller and the Electric Victorian):

MySpace Forum

There are many mistakes on that forum regarding the Romanian army and equipment.
Romanians never received anything from the Russians but we had to hand over all the captured equipment especially vehicles.
But there was a lot of German equipment in use helmets, ammo pouches, belts, gas masks and k98 that was given prior to august 1944.
As for the rifles used by the Romanian army VZ-24 was the main rifle together with the K98, followed by the Mosin Nagant 1891 (not the 91/30) as many were captured in WWI these were used from the beginning of the war by second line units and artillery then Mannlicher 95 manly used by second line units and finally the Mannlicher 93 (probably only used by Gendarmes). Also in a unit all the rifles were of a single type (used a single type of ammo).

As for converting European greatcoats that is so stupid.
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: April 17, 2008 10:42 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (mihnea @ February 27, 2008 08:20 am)

As for the rifles used by the Romanian army VZ-24 was the main rifle together with the K98, followed by the Mosin Nagant 1891 (not the 91/30) as many were captured in WWI these were used from the beginning of the war by second line units and artillery then Mannlicher 95 manly used by second line units and finally the Mannlicher 93 (probably only used by Gendarmes). Also in a unit all the rifles were of a single type (used a single type of ammo).

Everyone is trying to get the VZ24 so that all will be the same. However, due to some of the states gunlaws a couple of us will be using the k98 until able to move to another location (besides the city) to get the necessary papers more easily than spending a $1000 for a permit. Working towards all having the same rifle but will take a little time.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0250 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]