Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Suspect E. officers' activities in Ukraine - WW1, their capture by R. army, explanations
mateias
Posted: January 17, 2008 11:34 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Group: Members
Member No.: 1704

I found by chance an article on suspect activities of English officers in Bolshevik Ukraine by early 1919. It seems they were captured by Romanian army after being repeatedly attacked across the Dniestr. I wonder if there is any connection to assassination of Gen. Stan Poetas at Atachi, Hotin area. It was probably quite an embarassment for HMQ's government and I wonder how the incident was later settled by R. and E. parties.
Does anyone know specific details on this topic ?

http://www.bcucluj.ro/re/oc/BistRO1999-200...PRINS/BV06f.HTM

Giurc㬠Ion. Ofi?glezi implica?venimentele de la Hotin din ianuarie 1919 (Officiers anglais impliqu鳠dans la 鶩nements de Hotin). In: Document, 2001, 4, nr. 2-4, p.14-18.

This post has been edited by mateias on January 17, 2008 11:36 am
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: January 17, 2008 05:04 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I am curious. How did you reach the conclusion that British officers were involved in "suspect activities" or that they were involved in the assasination of gen. Stan Poetas, just from that title?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mateias
Posted: January 18, 2008 06:54 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

I do not remember where I've read that Romanian army counterattacked and discovered these British officers who seemed to train the insurgents. They were brought to Bucharest, interrogated and apologized for their conduct as Romania was allied with UK, and not an enemy. I suppose you know more on this matter.
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: January 18, 2008 09:23 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

I forgot something.
After interrogation, the British officers were brought to Bucharest and Gen. Greenley, chief of British military mission, informed gen. Prezan that the officers apologized for being disinformed when they sent reports to London MOD and newspapers where attackers were described as victims of Romanian aggressors.
So, the diplomatic incident was settled quietly.

I found on Google the link to this site, where Gen. Greenly was indeed chief of British military mission in Romania for 2 years. This was a nice reward for his bravery in WW1 on the western front, where as commander of an infantry division bore the brunt of the German offensive in Spring of 1918.

http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/donkey/greenly.htm

This link is a REAL TREASURE for those interested in bios of not so famous British generals.

This post has been edited by mateias on January 18, 2008 09:39 pm
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0507 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]