Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Volunteers in American Army - WW1, Units,commanders,battles in France,KIA
mateias
Posted: December 28, 2007 09:31 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Group: Members
Member No.: 1704

Americans of Romanian origin volunteered to fight in WW1 on western front. I wonder if there are records of their actions (and maybe books, pictures, etc.).
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: December 28, 2007 09:45 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

As far as I know, it was a unit raised by "ardeleni" in USA who eventually was deployed in France, but I dont rem the source or more details.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mateias
Posted: December 29, 2007 04:52 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

In 1917, a battalion of Romanian American Volunteers was formed in Youngstown, Ohio, by Dean (protopop) Ioan Podea. There is a reference to it at this link.

http://smroc.link2net.net/history.html

I suppose it included Romanians mostly from Ardeal (Transylvania), and they listened to the warm appeal of the Romanian mission to the USA headed by Vasile Lucaciu (president of the Cultural League).

This post has been edited by mateias on December 29, 2007 04:52 pm
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: January 17, 2008 11:20 am
Quote Post

Sergent

I found by chance an article on this topic at this link to an exhaustive site with everything available at Cluj University Library on history of WW1.

http://www.bcucluj.ro/re/oc/BistRO1999-200...PRINS/BV06f.HTM

Neam?u. Voluntarii rom⮩ armata Statelor Unite primul r㺢oi mondial (1917-1918). Episodul Misiunii Patriotice Rom⮥ (Volontiers roumains dans l'arm饠des Etats Unis de la premiere guerre mondiale). In: MVIM, 2004, 5, p.193-210.

Could someone provide details (article with 18 pages)?

This post has been edited by mateias on January 17, 2008 11:22 am
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: January 19, 2008 12:06 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

I'll look for it in Cluj when I'll have time.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mateias
Posted: January 28, 2008 10:26 am
Quote Post

Sergent

1. American officials acknowledged that Americans of Romanian origin provided the largest contingent of the American army in WW1, considering the ratio of Romanians agains total American population.
See confirmation on this site (senator Cooper also said that their sacrifice is not America's, but of the Romanian people, first of all).

http://www.crisana.ro/stiri/reportaj-24/ro...puri-40781.html

Adresându-se atunci oficial Ligii, congresmanul american Cooper arăta că "… românii din America, în proporţie cu numărul lor, au dat Statelor Unite mai mulţi soldaţi decât oricare alt popor din America. Jertfa acestor voluntari - a mai spus el - nu este a noastră, ci a neamului românesc, în primul rând".

2. Fascinating story of the only American general of Romanian origin, George Pomut, who helped America to buy Alaska (OIL, OIL, OIL) from Russia !

This post has been edited by mateias on January 28, 2008 10:30 am
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: January 28, 2008 10:34 am
Quote Post

Sergent

This article, published in a very serious historical magazine, mentions the militay units with Romanian volunteers in WW1.

http://www.itcnet.ro/history/archive/mi200...rrent3/mi45.htm

V. Stoica, I. Podea si dr. Nicolae Lupu - venit special din tara - si-au intensificat contactele cu oficialitati americane si au contribuit decisiv la selectarea si încadrarea românilor din S.U.A. în unitati militare care au ajuns apoi pe frontul din Franta, unde au avut o comportare foarte buna. Astfel, protopopul I. Podea a reusit ca, înca din 1917, sa înfiinteze Bateria 112, având componenta exclusiv româneasca, ce a fost încadrata în Regimentul 10 Ohio. La 1 august 1917, capitanul A.S. Pielon, comandantul companiei din care facea parte si Bateria 112, îi scria lui I. Podea ca dorea sa-i exprime multumirile sale "pentru ajutorul dat, care ne-a facut posibila organizarea companiei". Trei saptamâni mai târziu, colonelul Gh. C. Weybrecht, comandantul Regimentului 10 Ohio, scria aceluiasi prelat român ca ofiterii subordonati au raportat "spre marea mea bucurie, ca românii au raspuns peste tot la chemarea la arme", ceea ce a contribuit ca statul Ohio "sa fie printre cele dintâi si în ce priveste organizarea armatei de razboi".

The largest Romanian community was in Ohio state. I. Podea, the "protopope" (head of Romanian priests in Ohio, later became a bishop), suceeded in 1917 to set up the Battery 112, 100% Romanian. Cpt. A. S. Pielon, commander of the company that included Battery 112, wrote to Podea and thanked for the help in setting up the company. Three weeks later, col. Weybrecht, commander of Regiment 10 Ohio also thanked to Podea as his officers reported "to my joy, that Romanians answered everywhere to the call to arms " (volunteers), that contributed to the State of Ohio "to be among the first American states also as regards organization of the war army".

1917 - this means BEFORE Pershing's expeditionary forces landed in France ! Congratulations, Romania !

This post has been edited by mateias on January 28, 2008 10:46 am
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0284 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]