Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gheorghe Rasoviceanu, military career, biography(family,death)
mateias
Posted: December 03, 2007 08:17 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Group: Members
Member No.: 1704

Hello,
Being a new member, I am not used with the protocol and need your help for 2 new topics titles related to WW1:

1. RASOVICEANU's life
During WW1, my grandfather was a military priest attached to one of the 9th hunters batallions commanded by Rasoviceanu. I know some details about Rasoviceanu's exploits, but no one seems to know what happened to him since the '30s (i.e. HIS PICTURE, decorations, when did he retire from the army, what was his top position as an active service/reserve officer, name of family members, residence, place and date of death, etc). If possible, try to find pictures with this Regiment on the frontline, from Dobrudja to Iassy, from the Dniestr to the Apuseni Mts. and Budapest.
For instance, I recently found out that my grandfather's name mentioned in a local paper from Beius that 88 years ago a huge crowd attended there the first Easter mass in a territory liberated by the advancing 2nd Hunters Division.

2. MILITARY SANITARY SYSTEM DURING WW1 IN ROMANIA (frontline hospitals, evacuation hospitals/trains, quarantine hospitals, etc.).

Any information from all members will be appreciated at full value. Thank you in advance for everything you can share with me.

Mateias
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: December 03, 2007 09:12 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

You can find a lot of data's here: http://www.darnick.com/halmagiu/ofensiva.html about colonel Rasoviceanu, commander of 9th Vanatori Regiment.

If you read the 4th volume of Monografia Tarii Halmagiului, you can find some details about him. He played a great role on the ofensive started on 16th April 1919, because he made a daring decision on his own, when he ordered his regiment to ocupy Halmagiu, a country town (comuna, targ). All details about his actions you can find at http://www.darnick.com/halmagiu/tinutul_halmagiului.html

He was mentioned on a newspaper from Beius because his troops crossed Dealu Mare from Halmagiu direction and liberated this town, together with Regimentul de voluntari Horia, raised from Tara Motilor. He was present when this regiment swore on the flag, at Tebea, to liberate brother romanians from Bihor.

If in the monography are pictures with him, I'll tell the owner of the book to scan a copy for you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mateias
Posted: December 04, 2007 08:23 am
Quote Post

Sergent

1. Thank you for the information. However, this is not what I really need as I already knew what is written in Traian Mager's Book on Tara Halmagiului (in the Apuseni Mts.). There are all kinds of fragments on Rasoviceanu's EXPLOITS both in serious history books (Kiritescu) and in memoirs (Iorga, etc.), but NOTHING PERSONAL nothing PERSONAL about him (, pictures of himself in uniform, picture of himself with family, career, houses in Bucharest/Sinaia/Balcic, political prisoner, death, etc.). For 1919 Easter Mass in Beius does anyone know the SOURCE of the information (not in Traian Mager's book, probably in a local newspaper of those days or maybe a witness)? The 9th Hunter Regiment's flag was decorated with Michael the Brave's Order, and several officers too (Rasoviceanu, Arthur Vartejanu, Iorga's son Petru, etc.). This proves how well they fought everywhere. Rasoviceanu was also involved in saving Scherbatchev's life and disappearance of the bolshevik leader Roshal sent by Lenin to kill the Romanian Royal Family in 1917.

2. As regards ROMANIAN MILITARY CHAPLAINS in WW1, we had about 250 against 20.000 in the French Army. This shows that the Romanian military leaders, many of them educated in France or Germany, were against the idea. CHAPLAINS were quite useful/needed both on the frontline and in the hospitals to raise the soldiers' morale. In their turn, they had losses (KIA, wounded, DIA). Probably the most famous are Justin Serbanescu (an orthodox monk) and Ion Agarbiceanu (a greek-orthodox priest and a writer).
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: December 04, 2007 08:30 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Someone told me that Rasoviceanu's top position (in reserve) was general a la suite. What does it mean a la suite ? Probably honourary. If so, it was probably a French influence and maybe someone could give names of other Romanian generals with such a title (and year of the title !). Thank you.
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: December 05, 2007 08:29 am
Quote Post

Sergent

1. RASOVICEANU
I am quite disappointed to find that practically nobody ever heard about him and his personal life and career. Probably everybody looks only on the internet browsers and what I need is more or less personal facts, much harder to find.

2. ROMANIAN MILITARY CHAPLAINS IN WW1
Another disappointment, nobody seems to know anything about this matter. I personally found something on the internet, but I need details about my grandfather's experience, being attached to the 9th Hunters Regiment which was involved in 54 different battlefields from August 1916 to August 1919.

3. ROMANIAN MILITARY SANITARY SYSTEM IN WW1
Last but not the least disappointment. Probably not a matter of interest for people on various forums. All over the world military doctors and chaplains, due to their qualifications, are badly needed to provide for the health of mind and spirit of the warriors. See what happens in Iraq and Afganistan. And my grandfather was first attached to military hospitals and later to a frontline regiment and I simply cannot find solid data.
Please, everybody try harder. THANK YOU !

PS. My grandfather's name is COTENESCU GHEORGHE
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: December 05, 2007 11:16 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (mateias @ December 05, 2007 02:29 pm)
3. ROMANIAN MILITARY SANITARY SYSTEM IN WW1
Last but not the least disappointment. Probably not a matter of interest for people on various forums.

Did you try to do a search on this forum?
I did one and found three threads, with quite a few replies:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?ac...ighlite=medical

Perhaps you will find interesting facts in there.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on December 05, 2007 11:17 am
mateias
Posted: December 05, 2007 01:16 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

For Gen. Denes

1. Thank you anyway. At least you tried to find something.
Your message in that forum ("Here is a book that might shed light to this origins of this little studied field: .........) is confusing for me as I cannot see the book's cover. Is is about WW1 or WW2?

2. A LA SUITE
I suppose you might know what kind of military people can get such a title. Probably reservists having huge merits on the battlefields. That's why maybe RASOVICEANU got this honourary title I don't know exactly when and probably by a Royal Decree.

Per total, very little hope to get anything useful on all 3 topic issues started by me. At least, not yet. However, never give up hoping !

PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: December 05, 2007 02:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (mateias @ December 05, 2007 07:16 pm)
For Gen. Denes

1. Thank you anyway. At least you tried to find something.
Your message in that forum ("Here is a book that might shed light to this origins of this little studied field: .........) is confusing for me as I cannot see the book's cover.

The link is unfortunately dead.
Here is the original URL: http://www.nihilx.bumerang.ro/sanitar8.jpg

Gen. Dénes
mateias
Posted: December 05, 2007 03:19 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

For Gen. Denes,

Google shows a reference in Hungarian on Rasoviceanu. Probably translation of a phrase from Kiritescu's book. If not, can you translate if for me?
Thanks in advance.

Az erdélyi fórum: Velünk történtElöször is az elözményeket idézném Constantin Kiritescu Istoria pentru intregirea Romaniei 1918-1919. címü könyvéböl: " A rasoviceanu ezredes parancsnoksága ...
www.disputa.ro/cgi-bin/disputa/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=000346 - 328k -
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: December 05, 2007 05:27 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Per total, very little hope to get anything useful on all 3 topic issues started by me. At least, not yet. However, never give up hoping !

Mateias, try the military archives at Pitesti. You should be able to get a copy of Rasoviceanu's entire personnel dossier, which includes evaluations made by his superiors, his progression in rank, the units he was a part of (or led), etc...

Good luck. If you find info., please share it with us.
PM
mabadesc
Posted: December 05, 2007 05:43 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

I forgot to add the following:

If you are interested in your grandfather's activity, you can also obtain a copy of his dossier, as well, since he was an officer.
That's probably the most efficient way to obtain comprehensive information about his military career.
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 05, 2007 07:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (mabadesc @ December 05, 2007 11:27 pm)
Mateias, try the military archives at Pitesti. You should be able to get a copy of Rasoviceanu's entire personnel dossier...

That's valid only if you're a relative, or an established researcher.

Gen. Dénes
mateias
Posted: December 05, 2007 07:37 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Useful advices to get stuff from the Pitesti military archives. However, as a relative, I might have acces only to my grandfather's dossier with a special authorization. As regards Rasoviceanu, only certified researchers have access.

I still wonder why there are so few people outside the researchers (and probably those sleeping on the pillows of the archives to make money out of them by publishing books) able to provide something that in my mind it's personal data

I doubt the dossiers at Pitesti give details such as wife and children's names, home address (es) or decision given by a military court for political prisoners. This means we need someone who actually met Rasoviceanu in his/her's lifetime.

I am also amazed nobody knows what it means A LA SUITE (I suppose something similar is also available in foreign armies).

And all armies in the world make the best use of MILITARY CHAPLAINS and MILITARY HOSPITALS/PHYSICIANS, otherwise there will be too many casualties caused not by enemies ! So, it must be somewhere some useful info on what happened in the Romanian army during WW1. Let's start from Queen Marie, mother of the wounded ! There are so many pictures with her dressed as a Red Cross nurse and I cannot believe she was the only one left to help those in misery.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: December 05, 2007 09:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (mateias @ December 05, 2007 09:19 pm)
For Gen. Denes,

Google shows a reference in Hungarian on Rasoviceanu. Probably translation of a phrase from Kiritescu's book. If not, can you translate if for me?

It's a very long episode, describing based on surviving eye witnesses' accounts how Rumanian army and paramilitary units killed 89 Hungarian civilians in Tărcaia (in Hungarian Köröstárkány) and further 17 in the nearby Grădinari (Kisnyégerfalva) on 19 April 1919, leaving 204 orphans behind (remember, I am only translating what's written in there).
As for your request, I am sorry, but currently I have no time to translate the long text. Perhaps later on...

Gen. Dénes
21 inf
Posted: December 05, 2007 09:47 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Mateias, if you want eyewitness related stories about romaian army actions, you should consult first romanian references. Try here http://www.darnick.com/halmagiu/teroarea.html and here: http://www.darnick.com/halmagiu/ofensiva.html

As for the book I mentioned above, try again, it will load or search on the section Review and bookstore for Pietre de hotar.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0351 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]