Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> POW camps at Focsani, where situated and any general info.
shellym
Posted: November 24, 2007 10:12 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1690

While researching my family history, I received a letter from the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) that my grandfather died on 13 March, 1945 in Romania and was buried ...

Focsani/Militar Soldatenfriedhof Mina/Rumanien - Gemeinshaftsgrab III

My Grandfather was born in London to German parents and they returned to Germany in 1915. I understand he wasn't very popular with the German Army because of his country of birth, but there you have it.

I also understand that in his letters home to Germany, he wrote that he was in the Crimea fighting. Then the last two letters stated that a) his company was down to 200 men but that they were pushing on, and cool.gif the last letter said things were desperate and that there were only six men left now.

I was informed that it was possible he was captured and placed into a POW camp near or at Focsani where he died.

Can anyone help confirm this?

Unfortunately, at this time I cannot give you any details of which regiment or unit he was in.

Cheers from Australia!

Michelle
PMEmail Poster
d1ragos
Posted: September 05, 2008 05:13 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2241

Hi Michelle,
I'm living in Focsani .
What is your grandfather name ?
It is true , it has been a POW camp here and I can try to find more about your grandfather .
PMEmail Poster
d1ragos
Posted: September 26, 2008 12:16 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2241

Michelle's request has been solved.
PMEmail Poster
shelllym
Posted: July 20, 2009 12:00 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2560

Hello again,

Ludwig Abel - soldier German Army WWII. Died in POW Camp Focsani Dec 1945.

At the time he was in Stab Pionier Bataillon 741 (under command of 6th Army). Was wounded in Sevastopol June 16, 1942. Stayed with his troops.

February 1943 was in Reservelazarett Eisleben with severe frostbite. Returned to active duty May 1943

This is the last record of him until the notation of his death in Dec 1945. I have been trying to track down where his battalion may have fought that brought him to Romania and a POW camp.

Does anyone know the name of this camp or how I may find it? I need to know more information such as why his wife was told he died 13 March, 1945 when he actually died December 1945? Perhaps the war was in such a bad way that records were not kept up to date?

Help? I would love to try and piece together the last months of his life for my father's sake.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0553 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]