Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Looking for WW2 topographic maps of Falciu and/or Odessa
Steve McClaire
Posted: February 09, 2004 01:22 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

Looking for maps of these areas to create some wargaming scenarios for Romanian units. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the maps?

Thanks,

Steve
PM
dragos
Posted: February 09, 2004 04:43 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Area Falciu - Bogdanesti - Tiganca (1:500,000)

user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Paulus
Posted: February 09, 2004 09:11 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 89

Did the Soviet bridgehead in 41 was near Leka ?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
dragos
Posted: February 10, 2004 04:08 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

There was no Soviet bridgehead west of Prut in this area.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Paulus
Posted: February 10, 2004 09:29 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

The Soviets resisted the first assaults (22 June 1941) and even counterattacked. They succeded in establishing a small bridgehead over the Prut, near Falciu.

A copy took in the "Bessarabian campaign" article on the site.
This is maybe a misunderstood, dunno ...

Paulus
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
dragos
Posted: February 10, 2004 10:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

That article was published by Victor.

The Soviet troops succeeded only in retaking the bridges over the Prut, and eventually destroying them (the bridge at Falciu on 23 June and the railroad bridge at Bogdanesti on 25 June).
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Steve McClaire
Posted: February 11, 2004 05:42 am
Quote Post

Soldat

The Soviet troops succeeded only in retaking the bridges over the Prut, and eventually destroying them (the bridge at Falciu on 23 June and the railroad bridge at Bogdanesti on 25 June).

Can you recommend any English language sources with details on the fighting here? "Third Axis, Fourth Ally" is all I have found and it barely mentions the fighting in the bridgehead.

Thanks!
PM
dragos
Posted: February 11, 2004 07:15 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I don't know any. I will publish here a depiction of operations during 22 June - 3 July, in this area, just give me a little time.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: February 11, 2004 11:24 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

On 22 June 1941, the Guard Division was deployed on the Prut between Lunca and Carja. The "Center" Tactical Group (the Guard Regiment "Mihai Viteazul" and the 3rd Guard Artillery Regiment) was deployed between Mocani and Ranzesti. On 22 June, 03:05 hours, companies and platoons crossed the Prut at Berezeni, Falciu, Bogdanesti and Ranzesti, surprising the enemy which retreated. At Falciu, German elements crossed the Prut and advanced in north towards Valienatos manor, while in south they were stopped by the Soviets. Not knowing the achievement of the German sub-units operating in south, the troops in the north of Valienatos manor launched the signal for successful action, and two platoons of 7th Company of Guard Regiment crossed the Prut at Falciu. Crossing the bridge with no enemy reaction, they soon came under heavy fire, nevertheless reaching 300 meters from behind the Valienatos manor. At 11:30 hours the Germans retreated and the Russians took hold of the bridge, thus cutting off the Romanian platoons. With heavy casualties, part of the encircled troops managed to escape at 22 hours, the rest being rescued on 23 June.

In the same time, at Bogdanesti two Romanian squads crossed the Prut and established a bridgehead 250 meters east of the bridge, with not significant enemy reaction.

On 23 June the Soviets counterattacked and destroyed the eastern end of Falciu bridge. Two Soviet batteries on Falciu-Leca motorway and on the north-east hill at Epureni were reduced by Romanian and German artillery.

On 25 June a strong Soviet counterattack with elements of the 9th Cavalry Division was launched against the bridgehead at Bogdanesti, where 3rd Battalion of the Guard Regiment was situated. Gradually pushing Romanian troops towards the bridge, a Soviet squad managed to damage the eastern end of the bridge. Fearing that the bridge was destroyed, Romanian troops panicked and fled to the western bank of Prut. The troops remaining in the bridgehead were rescued the following day by boats.

In the morning of 26 June, the sub-units of the 3rd Battalion reorganized 2 km NW of Bogdanesti. A company crossed the Prut east of Bogdanesti and established a bridgehead 2 km deep, as most of the Soviet troops in the area were withdrawn. The 10th Company of the 3rd Battalion was pushed towards Stoenesti to scout the village and the casemates at the foothill of Epureni. One platoon of 3 Bat. advanced from Falciu to Cania and came under heavy fire from Valienatos manor. Endangered by encirclement, the platoon retreated west of Prut. During the night of 26/27, the Division recalled west of Prut all elements, except east of Falciu and Bogdanest, where bridgeheads were to be maintained. The bridgehead at Bogdanesti was reinforced with the 3 Bat.

On 27 June, 06 hours, two platoons of 2 Bat. attacked towards Valienatos. Due to the difficult terrain (marsh) and the heavy enemy fire, they were stopped. In the same time, in the bridgehead east of Falciu, Romanian troops operating along the motorway were stopped by fire from casemates and train cars. During the night they fell back west of Prut.

In the following days until 29 June, the Soviet artillery constantly fired at the bridge of Bogdanesti. On 29 June, at 22:45 hours, a strong Soviet counterattacked was launched against the bridgehead of Bogdanesti. The attack was supported by tanks. Romanian troop fell back gradually under the cover of artillery and automatic weapons from the bends of the Prut. Because of the strong enemy reaction during this period, it was decided to abandon the bridgeheads, the river crossings having to be defended from then on by the artillery and the troops on the western bank of Prut.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Steve McClaire
Posted: February 11, 2004 02:45 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Excellent information. Thanks very much, Dragos!
PM
Paulus
Posted: February 11, 2004 08:11 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Excellent information. Thanks very much, Dragos!

Fo which game do you intend to make scenarios Steve ? smile.gif
I know I'm a bit curious smile.gif

Paulus
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Steve McClaire
Posted: February 12, 2004 12:02 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Fo which game do you intend to make scenarios Steve ? smile.gif
I know I'm a bit curious smile.gif
Paulus

Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (aka CMBB). See www.battlefront.com for details.

Steve
PM
Paulus
Posted: February 12, 2004 03:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Ya kidding ? Have you seen what is wrote on the bottom of all my messages lol ? I CMBB scenario designer
Sure, I made some scenarios with the help of this website and it is very useful to make scenarios smile.gif

Alright have fun creating and make something good to play smile.gif
Paulus

PS : CMBB is great; are you interested in a PBEM game against me ? :cheers:
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Steve McClaire
Posted: February 12, 2004 05:15 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Ya kidding ? Have you seen what is wrote on the bottom of all my messages lol ? I CMBB scenario designer
Sure, I made some scenarios with the help of this website and it is very useful to make scenarios smile.gif

Alright have fun creating and make something good to play smile.gif
Paulus

PS : CMBB is great; are you interested in a PBEM game against me ?  :cheers:

Hehe - I missed your comment about CMBB the first time. Normally I would be more than happy to start a new PBEM game, but I'm in the "Rumblings Of War IV" tourament right now, and that is probably going to take all my PBEM time. Maybe when that's over?
PM
Paulus
Posted: February 13, 2004 07:05 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Ok no problem.

I was late for enlisting in the ROW IV :blbl: anyway good luck :laugh:

Paulus
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0349 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]