Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Michael the Brave 3rd class award
Renech
Posted: October 29, 2007 05:57 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1651

Hello my name is Rene Chavez web master for Http://axis101.bizland.com
My web site relates to axis and foreign volunteer awards and postal history for those who have not seen it please visit it is free.

Here are a few web pages relating to WW2 Romanian awards and postal history:

http://axis101.bizland.com/RomanianAwards01.htm
http://axis101.bizland.com/Romania2.htm

I have just joined this wonderful Romanian militaria forum.
I would like opinions or comments on this third class Michael the Brave award, which I'm interested in buying. I have seen the repros selling in eBay but this one looks original attached are the pictures of it with flash and without flash. Anyway any opinion on it will be greatly appreciated and also what is the value on these that is if you can find them?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

V/R
Rene Chavez
Http://axis101.bizland.com
PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: October 29, 2007 08:29 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

Hallo Renech biggrin.gif
welcome to the forum, I have taken the trouble to brighten your pictures for clarification:
user posted image
user posted image

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Renech
Posted: October 29, 2007 09:54 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you for clarifying the images and let's hope I get some comments on the cross.

I have a question to forum members in regards to the Third class Michael The Brave award... is it equivalent to a German EK2 award because both I would think have similar criteria?

Rene Chavez
PMEmail Poster
boonicootza
Posted: October 29, 2007 11:13 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

Michael the Brave order is the highest military decoration of Romania. I don't think we can compare it with the EK2.
Maybe the third class is in line with the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. in ww2 there were only 1628 3rd class awarded (of which 118 awarded to military units).

For more info on the order: http://www.worldwar2.ro/decoratii/?article=109

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Renech
Posted: October 30, 2007 12:52 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Hi thanks for your reply interesting I wouldn’t think that the 3rd class is close to Germany’s Highest Award like the Knight Cross. So Germans who were awarded with such a prestigious award as the 3rd class Michael the Brave were either already wearing the KC or German Cross.
I would think that the 3rd class is more closely to the German EKI but that is just an assumption on my part considering the manpower that the Germans had in combat compared to the Romanians. I would also imaging that the 2nd class falls in somewhere between the German Cross in Gold and Knight Cross and the 1st class would probably be in the category of the German KC with Oakleaves and Swords, US Medal of Honor or Britain’s Valor Victorian.

Rene Chavez

This post has been edited by Renech on October 30, 2007 01:02 am
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: October 30, 2007 04:28 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

I would think that the 3rd class is more closely to the German EKI but that is just an assumption on my part considering the manpower that the Germans had in combat compared to the Romanians. I would also imaging that the 2nd class falls in somewhere between the German Cross in Gold and Knight Cross and the 1st class would probably be in the category of the German KC with Oakleaves and Swords, US Medal of Honor or Britain’s Valor Victorian.

As a Romanian equivalent award, the Michael the Brave 3rd class would easily be compared with the German Knight's Cross.
The 2nd class would equate to the KC with Oakleaves and Swords.

During WWII, the 1st class (1941 model) was only awarded to the following foreigners:

1. Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 2868/14 October 1941

2. Admiral Erich Raeder: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 2868/14 October 1941
3. Generalfeldmarschall Braucshitsch: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 2868/14 October 1941
4. Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 2868/14 October 1941
5. Generalfeldmarschall von Rundstedt: 1st class by Royal Decree no. 2550/1 September 1942 (CO Army Group West)
6. Generalfeldmarschall von Bock: 1st class by Royal Decree no. 2550/1 September 1942 (CO Army Group South)
7. Generaloberst Ewald von Kleist: 1st and 2nd classes by Royal Decree no. 3034/6 October 1942 (CO 1st Panzer Army)

Finland:
1. Marshal Carl Gustav Mannerheim: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 3026/1 November 1941

Italy:
1. Marshal Umberto of Savoy: 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes by Royal Decree no. 1783/26 July 1943 (CO Italian Army Group South).

However, it was only awarded to 2 Romanians: the king, and Marshal Antonescu.
Therefore, during WWII the 1st class was really awarded only for political reasons (mostly to foreigners) rather than for military merits.

To equate the 1st class to a German award in terms of rarity, try to think of a German award which was only given to Hitler and one other German officer.

I definitely agree with Boonicutza's previous assessment.

Hope this helps. Take care.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on October 30, 2007 04:49 am
PM
Renech
Posted: October 30, 2007 02:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you for your reply I stand corrected. Well this will certainly make this award extra special in my collection. Now concerning the award posted any comments on it?

V/R
Rene Chavez

This post has been edited by Renech on October 30, 2007 02:46 pm
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: October 30, 2007 09:31 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Hi Rene,

You are welcome.
It will certainly make a nice (and rare) addition to your collection.
However, in terms of authenticity, I cannot give you any advice. I'm not a collector myself. There are other people on this forum, however, who seem to really know their stuff on this subject. Hopefully, some of them can advise you.

Take care.
PM
Renech
  Posted: November 01, 2007 02:35 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Wow can anybody tell me at least if the ribbon is the correct color? sad.gif
For what is worth from viewing the crosses posted here and in other forums the cross does seem at least to me in used condition.

Rene Chavez
Http;//axis101.bizland.com

PMEmail Poster
boonicootza
Posted: November 01, 2007 10:38 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

Rene, the ribbon looks correct.
I can't say if the order is original or not.
The shape of the cross is a little strange than the usual ones but it looks like Hermann Göring's set as posted by b737 in this thread: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=4023&st=15

user posted image

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Renech
Posted: November 02, 2007 02:41 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hi thank you for the reply, man is hard to tell just from the one black and white picture illustrating the 3rd class award that was given to Goering. This thread listed below indicates that there were probably more then one firm making them who knows:

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3055

Anyway the seller is very reliable and has a written guarantee for life, which really doesn't mean much but it is good to have and the only way for me to tell is to have the cross held in my hands. Once I get it and turns out to be original at least to my satisfaction I will post it in my web site with better sharp pictures. I really appreciate your response.

V/R
Rene Chavez

This post has been edited by Renech on November 02, 2007 02:43 pm
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0510 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]