Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Air Force flying clothing., Request flying wear colour information
Stratton
Posted: October 23, 2007 11:00 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1637

I am trying to research the clothing worn by Romanian fighter pilots during flight, particularly IAR 80/81 pilots as from the pictures I have seen they seem to wear different items to bf109 pilots for instance.
Firstly I notice many wear standard Air Force uniform with long flying boots. Would the leather waist belt be worn also, and the diagonal leather shoulder strap? Can I assume the colour of the uniform is similar to that of the RAF. Could anyone please post pictures of the standard flying boot and give some idea of colour and detail, ie black or brown and how do they fasten?
Some pictures show what looks like a white one piece flying suit which may have pockets on the front of the legs, could anyone please provide more detail. Also another flying suit in a darker colour and perhaps thicker material but with similar large leg pockets can be seen in some pictures, help please on colour and details.
A variety of leather jackets are seen in pictures, I am particularly interested in the long almost oversize looking often very shiney jacket, could someone please confirm the colour and details of this please.
Flying helmets, of IAR 80 pilots, appear to be leather more classic style and a lighter coloured maybe cloth version as perhaps worn by the pilot of IAR 80 #1 in the colour pictures. The Luftwaffe style helmets seem to be limited to bf109 pilots from what I have seen so far. Again clarification if possible please.
I have seen no clear pictures of parachutes packs and harnesses of this era, could anyone please give details or pictures.
Finally, for now anyway, life jackets seem only to be worn when flight over water was expected, is this correct or were they normally worn anyway.

I realise some of this equipment may have been worn at different periods during the war but I would be interested in all information on flying clothing.

My intention with all this information is to reproduce these items in at least 1/6 scale along with an IAR 80 or 81.

Many thanks in advance, Colin Osborne.

This post has been edited by Stratton on October 23, 2007 11:05 am
PMEmail Poster
Stratton
Posted: November 05, 2007 08:53 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Anything would help.!
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2007 12:17 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Anything would help.!

My intention with all this information is to reproduce these items in at least 1/6 scale along with an IAR 80 or 81.

I will be glad to help. I'm also building an IAR 81 at 1/5 scale and I'
m looking for a suitable pilot.
I will serch my HDD for pictures and info wink.gif
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2007 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

I have seen no clear pictures of parachutes packs and harnesses of this era, could anyone please give details or pictures.

This picture is enough for you regarding parachutes pack and harnesses.
IAR80-81 pilots were using IRVIN's chutes.
user posted image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2007 06:36 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Flying helmets, of IAR 80 pilots,

user posted image

PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2007 07:15 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Flying helmets, of IAR 80 pilots, appear to be leather more classic style and a lighter coloured maybe cloth version as perhaps worn by the pilot of IAR 80 #1 in the colour pictures

user posted image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 05, 2007 07:22 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Some pictures show what looks like a white one piece flying suit which may have pockets on the front of the legs, could anyone please provide more detail.

The white flying suit was used mostly by IAR 80-81 test pilots ( IAR Brasov factory) .

user posted image
PM
Stratton
Posted: November 05, 2007 08:20 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Cantacuzino, Thanks, these are great pictures. Exactly what I was hoping for. By the way I have been following your IAR 81C project on the Forum RHC, very nice work, and that instrument panel you have made is superb.
Anything else you can find on flying gear would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks again, Colin
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 07, 2007 02:17 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

A variety of leather jackets are seen in pictures, I am particularly interested in the long almost oversize looking often very shiney jacket, could someone please confirm the colour and details of this please.

The upper side of leather jacket (dark brown color) worn by IAR80-81 fighter pilots. In the picture Cpt. Dan Vizanty 6thFG leader. Courtesy Razvan Bujor.

user posted image
PM
Stratton
Posted: November 07, 2007 09:56 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks again Cantacuzino, fantastic picture. Did this jacket have a removeable fur collar as seen in some pictures, like the colour one you posted above? Or is that a completely different jacket?
Finally my friend, oxygen masks, do you have any details of them?

Thank you, Colin.
PMEmail Poster
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: November 25, 2007 04:23 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (Stratton @ November 07, 2007 09:56 am)
Thanks again Cantacuzino, fantastic picture. Did this jacket have a removeable fur collar as seen in some pictures, like the colour one you posted above? Or is that a completely different jacket?
Finally my friend, oxygen masks, do you have any details of them?

Thank you, Colin.

I have this jacket in my collection. It does not have any signs or attachement metal snaps for a removable fur collar. It is also made lightweight with a polish silk or polish cotton inner liner. No insulation. Perhaps for summer use.
PMYahooMSN
Stratton
Posted: November 25, 2007 08:37 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks Regal Uniforma Colector thats interesting. I s there any chance of a picture of this please, as I would like to know the waist and pocket details.

Thank you, Colin.
PMEmail Poster
J_Whitney
Posted: September 02, 2008 07:36 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 732

QUOTE (Stratton @ November 05, 2007 08:20 pm)
By the way I have been following your IAR 81C project on the Forum RHC, very nice work, and that instrument panel you have made is superb.
Thanks again, Colin

Would someone please provide a link to Cantacuzino's build thread?
Thanks
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: September 10, 2008 08:39 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Thanks
PM
J_Whitney
Posted: September 10, 2008 03:04 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 732

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ September 10, 2008 08:39 am)
Thanks

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0317 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]