Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Petroianu Ion and his family
Petr
Posted: October 08, 2007 10:19 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1617

Dear colleagues. I need you help. Some time ago i purchase a big document set of romanian general PETROIANU ION and his familu (his son Petroianu Ion, anouther son Petroianu Romulus and there unkle PETRE CHITULESCU). This family was very brave and there members were decorated with many awards.

Is it possible to find about this personalities some additional information. Maybe there biografy, maybe some fotos, any additional information. I will be very appreciate for any help...... rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster
Ion54
Posted: May 01, 2008 11:17 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2040

I think I'll be able to contribute with some information:
1. Ion Petroianu (1860 - 1914) married Zoe Bastea and had three sons (Ion, Paul and Romulus). Paul died shortly after birth. He used to sign as Jean Petrojanu. He died as a colonel, commander of Muscel Regiment stationed in Cimpulung Muscel, and was granted the general rank post mortem.
The house he used to live in still exists and the gates, made of wrought iron, are still showing his initials. The house is located on the main street in Cimpulung, just steps from the city hall when going to Rucar, on the left hand of the street.
Ion Petroianu had also three brothers, Constantin, Scarlat and Petru. Constantin and Scarlat were Romanian officers. Petru was a doctor.
2. Ion Petroianu's two sons
2.1. Ion I Petroianu, born on July 19, 1889 died on February 17, 1978. He retired as a general after holding the command of the artillery of the Romanian First Army Corp. He retired from the army in 1942 after the fall of Odessa.
Ion I. Petroianu was married to Olga Macedoneanu and had one son - Radu I. Petroianu
2.2. Romulus I. Petroianu (used to sign as Romulus Petroyanu), born 1894 died on September 10, 1974. He was a cavalry officer and retired from the army as a colonel in 1938 to become prefect of Dolj. He married Ana Chintescu. They did not have children.

Both sons lived most of their lives in Craiova, Dolj.

Through their mother both sons were cousins with Victor Slavescu, one of the most brilliant Romanian liberal economists.

More info and maybe some family pictures if there is interest.

Ion R. Petroianu,
Grand-grand son of Jean Petrojano
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: May 02, 2008 03:39 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Hi Ion54,

Thanks for your post, it was very informative.

Yes, if you have some old family pictures of the officers, please post them.
Obviously, pictures taken on the front line, during the campaign, or during military parades/troop inspections would be preferred, but I think portraits would also be appreciated.

Best regards.
PM
Petr
Posted: May 04, 2008 04:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1617

Hi Ion. Thank you very much for this information. It will be very-very interesting to see any fotos and documents of this interesting family. Maybe its possible to post some fotos in uniform with awards of Ion and his sons Ion and Romulus? It will be fantastik!!!! Also other fotos will be very-very interesting.

Petr.
PMEmail Poster
Ion54
Posted: May 09, 2008 02:08 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2040

For everybody, here are two pictures of my grandfather coming home after the the first campaign (Nov. 1941)
In the close-up there are, from left to right, my father (then 16 years old), my granfather, the wife of a Romanian official and my grandfather's brother, Romulus.

user posted image
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0287 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]