Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (15) « First ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian fortifications
Messerschmitt
Posted: October 25, 2006 06:48 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 975

great job Wings of wrath!!! By the way, if we`re still talking about pillboxes the only ones i know are:

1) The one from Eforie Sud
Location: Actually is between Eforie Nord and Eforie sud, right near the blocks from the kids camp; the only way you can get to it is to walk to it from the beach, because access to camp is restricted to people

2)The one(s) near Carei
Location: actually i don`t know where they are because i never searched them and the guy from the museum doesn`t want to show me the map where they are( probbably because there`s sometning important and they keep it for them laugh.gif ) Anyway this week i`m gonna go at the useum again and again and again until he-ll show me that whicked map
PMEmail PosterYahoo
21 inf
Posted: January 06, 2007 03:49 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Hello 2 all.
I was reading this subject about fortifications, because i'm particularly interested about the fortified line Carol II from the western border of Romania.
Denes posted some interesting links on this subject, but unfortunatelly they offer poor info about subject.
So, if anyone can post blueprints of these pillboxes, them history, armament etc, will help me much.
In exchange, i can post photo's with pillboxes and antitanc ditch from Carol II fortified line.

user posted image
For the begining, the location of one of the pillboxes.

Legend:
red line: Oradea-Arad road
blue line: acces from village Nojorid to the line of pillboxes
yellow line: antitanc ditch
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ferdinand
Posted: July 16, 2007 09:10 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 1486

hi everyone !

so here are some pics with what i've found

user posted image
user posted image
By rennsport, shot with <Digimax S700 / Kenox S700 / Digimax Cyber 730> at 2007-07-16

user posted image
By rennsport, shot with <Digimax S700 / Kenox S700 / Digimax Cyber 730> at 2007-07-16

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

this location is vatra dornei mountains.....

i'll wait for opinions

This post has been edited by seeker on June 08, 2008 07:29 am
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
ANDI
Posted: July 16, 2007 09:24 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 674

It is a known fact that Vatra Dornei mountains were the ground of some heavy fightings in ww1. The first photo seem to show a line of trenches.
The photo with the aparent entrance into a pillbox can also be an entrance for a somekind of pit (I think there was a small plate in front of it and resembles with a mining pit, but I am not sure) though I have also heard stories of german and austrian concrete pillboxes in the area.
The concrete foundation might be an old foresters or border guards hut. I have encountered many examples like that in the mountains.
PMEmail Poster
Ferdinand
Posted: July 16, 2007 09:57 am
Quote Post

Maior

hi andi..

the concrete that you saw in the pics....the one that is almost al groundlevel...it's not a foundation........i know that for sure becouse:

it has no connection with uprising walls(if there were any),
the structure has an angle corners

....and there are 2 structures like that in the woods.....
my father(who was an army unteroffizer) biggrin.gif ...said that is possible to be an undergruond structure present in the area

i'll attache pics with some foundation that i found...

i'm sure that is not a mine entrance...

thanks 4 reply

keep up the good(seraching) work rolleyes.gif

inner structue of bunker
user posted image

our history is a perfect place 4 garbage

mad.gif
user posted image
By rennsport, shot with <Digimax S700 / Kenox S700 / Digimax Cyber 730> at 2007-07-16 mad.gif

antitank??? obstacle??

user posted image

this are the barracks??? foundation(notice the difference )..
user posted image

another structure (poss underground)....from woods

user posted image

that's all folks....i'll keep seeking ph34r.gif
ANDI
Posted: July 16, 2007 10:09 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 674

The uprising wall at a concrete structure is not a "rule" for a foundation. The entire perimeter of a building concrete foundation can be covered with a concrete slab. As for the angled corners, you might be right.
But if there were pillboxes or similar, there must be a logic and a strategical disposition of them in the field as well as trench lines.
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: July 16, 2007 01:00 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (seeker @ July 16, 2007 09:57 am)
antitank??? obstacle??

user posted image

I believe that here was an antitank defensive position, made by "dragon's tooth".
Dragon teeth is a 3D triangular shape concrete made obstacle, which was imposible for tanks to overpass it.
If a tank hit this kind of AT obstacle, the only result was that the obstacle remained on the same position and eficacy, due to its triangular 3D shape.

The pic you posted shows what remained from this obstacles, in this case only the base.
In a pic above you posted some dragon tooth still intact.

Where you said is the location of this fortified line?
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 16, 2007 01:12 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Wings_of_wrath @ April 28, 2006 11:57 pm)

So we headed over Saligny's old railway bridge, and, soon enough, we saw this:

user posted image

An intact retractible 53 mm turret!

user posted image

user posted image

Hallo Gentlemen biggrin.gif

These pictures remind me of a French Ww1 Turret I saw at Verdun in 1998.

user posted image

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Ferdinand
Posted: July 16, 2007 09:19 pm
Quote Post

Maior

QUOTE (21 inf @ July 16, 2007 01:00 pm)
QUOTE (seeker @ July 16, 2007 09:57 am)
antitank??? obstacle??

user posted image

I believe that here was an antitank defensive position, made by "dragon's tooth".
Dragon teeth is a 3D triangular shape concrete made obstacle, which was imposible for tanks to overpass it.
If a tank hit this kind of AT obstacle, the only result was that the obstacle remained on the same position and eficacy, due to its triangular 3D shape.

The pic you posted shows what remained from this obstacles, in this case only the base.
In a pic above you posted some dragon tooth still intact.

Where you said is the location of this fortified line?

yes...you're right......why?!...look..

user posted image
Ferdinand
Posted: July 16, 2007 09:25 pm
Quote Post

Maior

QUOTE (ANDI @ July 16, 2007 10:09 am)
The uprising wall at a concrete structure is not a "rule" for a foundation. The entire perimeter of a building concrete foundation can be covered with a concrete slab. As for the angled corners, you might be right.
But if there were pillboxes or similar, there must be a logic and a strategical disposition of them in the field as well as trench lines.

hi andi i can't tell you how "smart" were this structure build....you already know that
the entire structure "watches" over 2 valleys and nothing can move without been seen...

i'll try to find also the pics from focsani...with ww1 bunkers....interesting too..

anyway thaks 4 reply....

wait to see whAT you guys have visited.... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by seeker on July 17, 2007 08:48 pm
21 inf
Posted: July 17, 2007 04:52 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (seeker @ July 16, 2007 09:25 pm)
anyway thaks 4 reply....

wait to see whAT you guys have visited.... rolleyes.gif

For the begining, you can start with http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3926
Ferdinand
Posted: July 17, 2007 08:52 pm
Quote Post

Maior

i already saw those pics....amazing places...
i'll try to find more places and post..
chisi
Posted: August 23, 2007 05:29 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 429

On my vacation at the Black sea Coast I found some ww2 fortifications between Venus and Mangalia.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
chisi
Posted: August 23, 2007 05:31 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 429

The white one is not from ww2, it is from the time when the touristic harbor from Mangalia was military...
PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: July 24, 2008 06:52 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

Ok guys,
this summer i did some field research of fortifications around the romanian seaside. I managed to find a few cassemates however access was hardly possible(crawling and stuff) and i was a bit afraid to enter, plus the embarassment from the people thinking i`m nuts photoing and examining those forts. laugh.gif Also, even if i could have entered, i didn`t have a flashlight at me.

The first one i`ve spotted is somewhere between Mangalia and Saturn, on the pathway on the seaside. Nowadays, only a few of it is visible, due to the construction of the "t" , wich is a barrier of stabilopods. While the other tourists were photoing some swans, i had nothing to bother me, so i took some pictures.
user posted image
Sorry for the hi-res photos. I don`t know how to resize it, hope an admin can do it for me. I have seen a painted marking, but being yellow i tought it`s somethimg regarding the depth of gas pipes. Also, i think it may only be a "licheni" but i`ve also seen another cassemate marked.
user posted image
I also noticed the square concrete peiece, i don`t know what exactly it is, it didn`t had anything at its end, it may have been hosting a 1) airing tube 2) periscope 3) grenade slide . I`ve also seen simmilar square concrete pieces like this on other cassemates, only that they are bigger and have a metal piece inside( soon to follow)
user posted image
This one is the enterance, it`s on the back of the cassemate, i`ve looked inside but i couldn`t see anything, there wasn`t too much space, about 30 cm so i couldn`t see or get inside.
user posted image
user posted image
I have also noticed on the top some long, paralellipipedic concrete pieces, reinforced with iron bars, anyone have any idea what those served for? Strange thing, this cassemate has once been on the beach/seaside befor the building of the "t" barrage, judging by the missing layer of tar, wich used to protect the wall by sea errosion(waves and stuff like this) . Because the waves splash onto it, in time it melts down.

Farther on the seaside, i saw this restaurant, i`m not sure but i think it`s being built on a pillbox, i didn`t manage to see any firing slots but i guess they`re covered by the concrete sustaining the terrace above.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Messerschmitt on July 24, 2008 06:58 pm
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (15) « First ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2105 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]