Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 2nd armored (tank) regiment in Slovakia
pitika
Posted: May 25, 2007 02:15 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1403

I have a question about Romanian 2nd Armored Regiment. I red on this page it took part in fights on river Hron in March 26/27 1945. I know it advanced later on line Galanta, Trnava, Bratislava.

Can somebody tell me please when 2nd Romanian Armored Regiment entered Slovakia (where?) and where it took part on first fights. Where everywhere in Slovakia Regiment fought and how many men and tanks lost?

Is it know how many Renaults R35 were lost in Slovakia? It can be interesting for you guys but one guy in Slovakia found turret from very probably Romanian R35.

Here is a link to his page:
user posted image

When 2nd regiment left Slovakia to Austria and when it get back to Czech part of Czechoslovakia?
Can somebody wrote something about this operations too?

Thanks to everybody.

Peter
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: May 25, 2007 02:54 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

here is a link regarding the turret and the R35 / Vanatorul R35/45: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3538 .
PMEmail Poster
pitika
Posted: May 25, 2007 03:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks, somehow my search on this page went blank. wink.gif

Do you know any details on action of 2nd armored regiment in Slovakia? Or maybe some Romanian pages about this regiment? My neighbor is Romanian, so maybe we will have few beers and some talk and he can translate it for me. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: May 25, 2007 08:08 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Hi, pitika!

In Romania exists a book about 1st and 2nd romanian armored regiment(s), from the 1st romanian armored division "Romania Mare".

The book's name is "Tancuri in flacari" (Tanks in flames) and it is written by Ion Dumitru, former locotenent in one of those armored regiments in WW2.
He fought in Romania, Hungary and Cehoslovakia during WW2, the book represents his war memoires.

I have to look for that book in my collection and i'll tell u exactely how many R35 fought in Cehoslovakia and where, and how many where lost in battle.

If my memory helps me, i remember it was written that at begining it was a number of 25 R35.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIN TARA MOTILOR EU AM VENIT!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
pitika
Posted: May 25, 2007 08:55 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello 21 inf.

Thank you very much. Is it possible still to buy this book or only through used books sellers? Maybe I will try to bother my neighbor when he will go back home to visit family. biggrin.gif

I have a book about last days of war in today Czech republic, but I found so far nothing where actions of Romanian soldiers in Slovakia were described in detail. It's really pity.

Anyway, does somebody know if in Axworthy's book Third Axis Fourth Ally are there descriptions of after August 1944 actions of Romanian Army?

Thanks to everybody.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: May 26, 2007 09:35 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Ion Dumitru was part of the 2nd Tank Regiment's 1st Battalion, which was equipped with Pz IV tanks and StuG III Gs. The R35s were in the 2nd Battalion (1st and 2nd Companies). His memories cover the fighting all the way to Schrick in Austria, where he was wounded. For a complete campaign of the 2nd Tank Regiment I would recommend Vasile Ienceanu's Pedepsiti sa invinga, which, apart from memories also contains information from the regiments operations diary and thus is more exact. IMO Ion Dumitru tended to exagerrate his own exploits and is pretty subjective.

Ion Dumitru's book is still available for sale on the www.nemira.ro site I believe.

The R35s were more than obsolete in March 1945 when they saw action near the Hron in the Dol. Pial, Hor. Pial and Besa villages and suffered heavy losses from day one.
21 inf
Posted: May 26, 2007 06:44 pm
Quote Post

Hi, Victor!

Can u tell m if Vasile Ienceanu's Pedepsiti sa invinga book is still available and where?

Thnk u in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pitika
Posted: May 26, 2007 10:55 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

So battle around Horný Pial, Dolný Pial and Beša was first engagement of 2nd Armored Regiment in Slovakia? What was a date of battle? March 27th 1945 was liberated Beša. Did 2nd Armored regiment Cooperated with some others Soviet tank units?

Thanks Guys.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: May 27, 2007 10:16 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (21 inf @ May 26, 2007 08:44 pm)
Hi, Victor!

Can u tell m if  Vasile Ienceanu's Pedepsiti sa invinga book is still available and where?

Thnk u in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought it from the Military Museum a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is still available.

It is a good book, but Ienceanu (the CO of the Recon Company) lacks the story telling talent of Ion Dumitru. But, like I said, the advantage of this book is that it seems more balanced. Anyway, Ion S Dumitru helped Ienceanu with the book, when the latter experienced problems "decifring" the operations diary and was involved into other projects. A truly relentless person. I would have loved to have met him.
Victor
Posted: May 27, 2007 10:27 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (pitika @ May 27, 2007 12:55 am)
So battle around Horný Pial, Dolný Pial and Beša was first engagement of 2nd Armored Regiment in Slovakia? What was a date of battle? March 27th 1945 was liberated Beša. Did 2nd Armored regiment Cooperated with some others Soviet tank units?

Thanks Guys.

The 2nd Tank Regiment was subordinated to the 27th Tank Brigade and, at that moment, it represented the brigade's only armored force, as the Soviet unit had lost the majority of its tanks and was awaiting the replacements.

The Romanian tanks entered action on 26 March, with the 1st Tank Battalion and teh Reconnaissance Company supporting the 285th Regiment from the 375th Rifle Division and the 2nd Battalion dividing its three companies to support the 41st, 43rd and 45th Regiments of the 93rd Rifle Division.

I ma planing to include the story of the 2nd Tank Reigment in 1945 in the operations section of teh website, but I don't know when exactly.
Dénes
Posted: May 27, 2007 08:08 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Victor @ May 27, 2007 04:16 pm)
A truly relentless person. I would have loved to have met him.

Is he still around? If yes, why don't you try to meet him? Until it's not too late...

Gen. Dénes
Victor
Posted: May 28, 2007 06:26 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

He passed away several years ago, from what I know.
sid guttridge
Posted: August 31, 2007 10:27 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Gentlemen,

This may be an important find from the Romanian point of view.

If I am not mistaken, that turret is the Romanian conversion of the R-35 turret with a captured Soviet 45mm(?) anti-tank gun mounted.

I doubt another one exists. It should be in the Museul Militar in Bucharest. Does the museum know of its existence?

Is anything being done to acquire it?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
pitika
Posted: November 20, 2007 07:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ August 31, 2007 10:27 am)
Gentlemen,

This may be an important find from the Romanian point of view.

If I am not mistaken, that turret is the Romanian conversion of the R-35 turret with a captured Soviet 45mm(?) anti-tank gun mounted.

I doubt another one exists. It should be in the Museul Militar in Bucharest. Does the museum know of its existence?

Is anything being done to acquire it?

Cheers,

Sid.

Hello Sid,

turret is in Slovakia in private collection.

Maybe exchange for romanian LT-35? wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: February 22, 2009 12:34 pm
Quote Post

The diary of captain Zaharia Liviu, from 2nd tak regiment (regimentul 2 care de lupta) between 6-16 april 1945 was published in Magazin istoric, nr. 5 (230), may 1986, page 20-24.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0271 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]