Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Crimean Campaign Discussion & Pictures, Romanian Participation in the Crimea
mabadesc
Posted: April 23, 2007 03:15 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

I thought it would be interesting to use this thread in discussing German and Romanian participation in the Crimean Campaign. We could also use this place to post pictures relevant to this conversation.

I'll start the discussion by posting an interesting picture (it's actually a freeze-frame from a propaganda clip). It was taken during the Romanian troop parade in Sevastopol, shortly after the city was conquered in the summer of 1942.
What makes the picture interesting, in my opinion, is that it portrays many of the Romanian Commanding Officers who participated in the Crimean battles up to that point.
Namely, I think I have identified several officers, but if I made a mistake or if you happen to recognize another officer not "labeled" by me, please point it out in this topic.

A notable absence is Korne, although I think he may be the third officer from the right (it's difficult to tell due to the angle as well as to the poor quality of the frame).

Please let me know if you cannot see the picture.

user posted image
PM
Dénes
Posted: April 23, 2007 05:01 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The officer in black, in centre, appears to be an Italian one.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: April 23, 2007 06:37 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Personally I believe that the only person that can be identified in this photo is Avramescu.

The others are just wild guesses. FOr example, IMO, the person identified as Mociulschi isn't him. His physical features are different. He appears to wear a staff badge and Mociulschi hadn't been through the military academy. Plus he is wearing the berret on the left side, while I have only seen photos of Mociulschi wearing it on the right side
mabadesc
Posted: April 23, 2007 09:16 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

The others are just wild guesses.

Victor, perhaps you are right.

Yet, there were not too many Romanian generals in Crimea in the summer of 1942. And from what I could see (I may be wrong), the officers I identified in the picture are generals.

So who could they be? It's not like we're guessing from 20 million people, they can only be from a select handful of general officers - especially the ones wearing the "Vinatori de Munte" beret.

With respect to Baldescu - IMO it does look like him, but yes, it is a guess. Maybe Dragos03 can help confirm or infirm his identification.

And the one on the right edge of the frame does look like Dumitrache - once again, no proof here.

Are they guesses? Sure, that's precisely the reason I posted the picture. But I certainly wouldn't say they are wild guesses.

The officer in black, in centre, appears to be an Italian one.

Denes, thanks for your comment.

Take care, guys.

PM
mabadesc
Posted: April 24, 2007 01:30 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

This may actually spark a potentially interesting discussion. Upon referencing the book "Romanii in Crimea" by Adrian Pantea and Eftimie Ardeleanu, here are the Romanian General Officers with active commands in Crimea in June-July 1942:

Participating in the Sevastopol area:

General Gheorghe Manoliu - 4th Mountain Division
General Constantin Vasiliu-Rascanu - 1st Mountain Division
General Leonard Mociulschi - Deputy Commander, 1st Mountain Division
General Radu Baldescu - 18th Infantry Division
General Gheorghe Avramescu - Mountain Corps

In addition, one may consider that the senior officers of the 7th Corps, though operating in the Kerch area (not in the Sevastopol area), may have participated in the Sevastopol troop parade as well, due to their indirect but nonetheless important contributions. These commanders are:

General Florea Mitranescu - 7th Corps
Colonel Corneliu Carp - 8th Cavalry Division
General Sava Caracas - 10th Infantry Division
General Carol Schmidt - 19th Infantry Division

I'm not aware of any other Romanian generals holding active command in Crimea during the June - Early July 1942 time frame.

Therefore, one may conclude that the generals depicted in the freeze-frame shown in my previous message likely belong to the two groups listed above, with a special emphasis on the first group, since these officers actively fought in the Sevastopol area.

Given this data, it seems that my identification (educated guess) of Dumitrache was wrong, since he held no command in the sector at that time (as far as I know - please correct me if I'm wrong).
The identification of Trestioreanu may also be incorrect, for the same reason.

As to the rest of the generals in the picture, there is no positive identification of them, but chances are that most, if not all of them, are among the two groups of names listed above.

Thoughts? Opinions?

If anyone can add to the list of active Romanian generals in Crimea during June - Early July 1942, please do so, as I may be inadvertently omitting some.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on April 24, 2007 01:33 am
PM
Victor
Posted: May 06, 2007 10:11 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

IMO, the person you identified as Mociulschi is Gheorghe Manoliu.

They wear the beret on the same side and have the Military Academy badge
user posted image
mabadesc
Posted: May 07, 2007 04:50 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

IMO, the person you identified as Mociulschi is Gheorghe Manoliu.

It's quite possible, indeed. Here are two other frames from the same parade, slightly different angle.

Also, please note the German officer in the center of the picture. Can you make out his identity or at least his rank? Thanks...

user posted image

user posted image

The second officer from the left - moustache, square face, resembles the pictures I've seen of General Baldescu.

PM
mabadesc
Posted: June 14, 2007 04:35 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Crimea, summer 1942. Hospital beds of an infirmary serving Romanian soldiers, improvised in what looks like a church alcove.

user posted image

PM
isumalan
Posted: July 04, 2007 01:16 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1289

QUOTE (mabadesc @ April 23, 2007 03:15 pm)
I thought it would be interesting to use this thread in discussing German and Romanian participation in the Crimean Campaign. We could also use this place to post pictures relevant to this conversation.

I'll start the discussion by posting an interesting picture (it's actually a freeze-frame from a propaganda clip). It was taken during the Romanian troop parade in Sevastopol, shortly after the city was conquered in the summer of 1942.
What makes the picture interesting, in my opinion, is that it portrays many of the Romanian Commanding Officers who participated in the Crimean battles up to that point.
Namely, I think I have identified several officers, but if I made a mistake or if you happen to recognize another officer not "labeled" by me, please point it out in this topic.

A notable absence is Korne, although I think he may be the third officer from the right (it's difficult to tell due to the angle as well as to the poor quality of the frame).

Please let me know if you cannot see the picture.

user posted image

I oferr for you this suggestive link :
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=414107490&size=l

for you ; goroon
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: July 05, 2007 05:51 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Isumalan,

I was only able to find one page of text on the web address you mentioned.
Could you please post the pictures you have of Romanian troops? Thanks.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on July 05, 2007 05:52 am
PM
mabadesc
Posted: December 31, 2007 03:46 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hand-painted (watercolor) table place-holder for military banquet held in Crimea, 1942.

Author signature illegible: Lt. S. Horatiu (?) or Haratim (?)

Does anyone know if the green symbol in the upper-right corner has any significance?

Front Cover:

user posted image

Inside page (menu):

user posted image

This post has been edited by mabadesc on December 31, 2007 03:48 am
PM
Sturmpionier
Posted: December 31, 2007 10:11 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 630

Happy New 2008 Year dear collegues reenactors!!!!
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: January 01, 2008 10:15 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Does anyone know if the green symbol in the upper-right corner has any significance?

I believe is the mountains troops symbol badge .

Happy new year to all of you ! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on January 01, 2008 10:17 am
PM
mabadesc
Posted: January 01, 2008 10:46 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

I believe is the mountains troops symbol badge .

Thanks for the answer, Cantacuzino!
PM
Victor
Posted: January 02, 2008 06:37 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The fir tree branch was used as a symbol of the mountain troops. Some battalions had a fir tree branch on their 7 year service badge.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0583 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]