Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Common Awards
RHaught
Posted: November 05, 2006 03:49 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

What were the top five awards given to the infantry from 1941-1944 and the requirements for receiving them?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Carol I
Posted: November 05, 2006 10:02 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (RHaught @ November 05, 2006 04:49 am)
What were the top five awards given to the infantry from 1941-1944 and the requirements for receiving them?

The Romanian awards for WWII were described in a royal decree issued in 1941. Some of the requirements and regulations are summarized in the book by Safta et al on Romanian War Decorations. According to it, the top awards for infantry were:

Orders (mostly for officers):
1. Ordinul Mihai Viteazul (Order of Michael the Brave)
2. Ordinul Steaua României (Order of the Star of Romania)
3. Ordinul Coroana României (Order of the Crown of Romania)
4. Ordinul Crucea Regina Maria (Order of the Queen Mary Cross) - not a combat award

Medals (mostly for lower ranks):
1. Medalia Virtutea Militară (Military Virtue Medal) - the equivalent for the lower ranks of the Order of Michael the Brave
2. Crucea Meritul Sanitar (Sanitary Merit Cross) - not a combat award
3. Medalia Bărbăţie şi Credinţă (Valour and Faith Medal)
4. Crucea Serviciu Credincios (Loyal Service Cross)
5. Medalia Serviciu Credincios (Loyal Service Medal)
PM
RHaught
Posted: November 05, 2006 11:41 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Carol,

Thanks for the information. How long was it to receive the anti-communist medal? Requirements?

Also, working on new information that deals with the battle around Iasi and finding new maps to use. Also talking to the embassy military attache office in Washington DC and trying to contact the Romanian community here in Queens for WWII veterans who escaped from returning and ended up in the US after the war.

I am hoping to have radar penetrating equipment for the next visit to an area outside of Iasi so will keep you posted on that one as well.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Carol I
Posted: November 05, 2006 12:20 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (RHaught @ November 05, 2006 12:41 pm)
Thanks for the information. How long was it to receive the anti-communist medal? Requirements?

The Safta et al book mentions only that the Crusade Against Communism Medal was awarded irrespective of rank to all military and auxiliary personnel with distinguished activity on the Eastern front.
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 05, 2006 12:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

I just remembered that there was another late medal during WWII: Medalia Pro Basarabia şi Bucovina (Pro Bessarabia and Bukovina Medal) instituted in 1943 for the volunteers from Bessarabia and Bukovina.
PM
RHaught
Posted: November 05, 2006 12:32 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (Carol I @ November 05, 2006 12:26 pm)
I just remembered that there was another late medal during WWII: Medalia Pro Basarabia şi Bucovina (Pro Bessarabia and Bukovina Medal) instituted in 1943 for the volunteers from Bessarabia and Bukovina.

I have seen only pics due to this one being hard to find.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0216 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]