Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Some period photos....
Victor
Posted: June 22, 2006 02:03 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (erikofnorway @ Jun 22 2006, 02:59 PM)
Victor, am I correct in my understanding that the Order of the Crown can be worn both around the neck and on the chest?  Does that mean that what he refers to is actually the medal he is weraing on his chest on the photos?

Erik

There were several classes, some of which were worn on the chest and one that was worn around the neck (the Commander class). ee here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/decoratii/?article=111
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: June 22, 2006 02:25 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Victor @ Jun 22 2006, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (erikofnorway @ Jun 22 2006, 02:59 PM)
Victor, am I correct in my understanding that the Order of the Crown can be worn both around the neck and on the chest?  Does that mean that what he refers to is actually the medal he is weraing on his chest on the photos?

Erik

There were several classes, some of which were worn on the chest and one that was worn around the neck (the Commander class). ee here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/decoratii/?article=111

There were actually two classes with badges worn on a ribbon around the neck: Commander and Grand Officer. Actually it was the same badge, but the Grand Officers had a further star on the chest.
PM
Carol I
Posted: June 22, 2006 05:07 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (erikofnorway @ Jun 21 2006, 07:34 PM)
He further tells me that he was given a Rumenian Ritterkreutz (as he calls it) to wear in the neck.  But that he was not allowed to wear it by his commanders.  I have not been able to determine what order that would have been as it does not appear on any of his photos, nor does he have in amongthe medals he has left.  May be someone else could help me clarify this here?  May be he is mixing this up with the Order of the Crown?

It could be that he was mislead by the name of the badge he received ("Knight's Cross of the Order of the Crown") and assumed it was worn in the same manner as the German Knight's Cross. And when he attempted to wear it as a neck badge his superiors took notice and informed him about the correct manner of wearing it.
PM
erikofnorway
Posted: November 15, 2006 08:43 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 960

Further to this thread, my friend unexpectedly handed me an envolope on Sunday that contained all of his medals and awards, including his field version of the RK awarded by to him personally by Heinz Macher in April 1945 in a staff car on the way to Berlin.

I am now doing an effort to restore his medals and add the awards missing. The original medal ribbons as shown on the previous photos is intact, but all the medals has been removed. The medals that came loose were:

-East Front Medal
-Order of the Star (damaged - will need replacement)
-Military Bravery Medal (Silver)
-Military Bravery Medal (Gold) - damaged, missing back center piece
-Loyal Service Cross

Close Combat Clasp - Bronze
Infantery Assault Badge - Bronze
Infantery Assault Badge - Silver
Panzer Destruction Strip - Cloth version

The EKII is missing, but I have one.
Also missing, but on order from Weitze are Black and Silver Wound Badges, Krim Shield and Sport Badge (bronze) which will complete his medals.

Now I have a couple of questions:

1. Are there several versions of the Order of the Star, such as Silver and Gold? The medal I have now is badly tarnished, but appears to be gold. Also, the miniature ribbon strip that came along has the Order of the Star with Gold Swords. I want to be sure I obtain the right version.

2. For the military Bravery Medal, which one is mounted on the photos above? It appears to be gold (or is it Bronze?)? And I assume that this would be the correct one to mount, although it is damaged to back side?

3. In what way are the medals attached to the ribbons? Is there a specific way this was done? Do you recommend that I send this to a professional?

I am open to any suggestions.

Erik
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
b737
Posted: November 16, 2006 08:41 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

URL=http://imageshack.us]user posted image[/URL]

Hi Erik,
if you are meaning the bar from this photo you have this medals/orders on it:
1- EK

2- Winterschlacht im Osten

3- Romania : Order of the Crown (not Star!).2nd model with swords-it could be a knight because the "rosette"on the ribbon is missing! The Officer grade has a "rosette"on the ribbon.But if you are saying that the original piece was golden than it is an Officer!

4- Romania : Military Virtue Medal (wich class?).There are only 2 classes,I think he had the second class(in silver)

5- Romania : Loyal Sevice Cross (wich class ?),2nd model with swords.This medal has 3 classes! On the photo the medal has a darked colour, I think he has recived the 3rd class(bronze).

In Your description you are talking about 2 military bravery medals but I see only one on this bar!
If the bar has been changed maybe you can post a photo from it.

This post has been edited by b737 on November 16, 2006 01:55 pm
PMEmail Poster
erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 11:48 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Yes, that is the exact bar I have.

The medal (Order of the Crown) I have appears to have been gilted. On the small bar he gave me, the ribbon has GOLD swords in cross.

There are 2 Military Virtue (Bravery) Medals in the lot. One silver and one gold. Then I assume the highest one should be mounted on the ribbon, gold? Only one is mounted on the ribbon.

Erik
b737
Posted: November 16, 2006 02:18 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

Maybe you can ask your friend if he remembers wich medal was on the bar at the time as the picture was made!The golden or the silvered one.If not then I would put the golden one!
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: November 16, 2006 03:45 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 398

Hello erikofnorway, can you put some photos with the medal bar ant the other medals and orders?
PMEmail Poster
erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 03:59 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I will take some photos of his medals as they are now and post them this week end.

Based upon the period photo, I believe the Military Bravery Medal to be gold (it appears darker than the known silver ones visible).

Also, when it comes to the attachment of the medals themselves, does anyone know how they are to be attached? Based upon the photo and remains on the ribbons, it appears that the medals were "stabilized" with a thread loop around the base and the ring attached under the ribbons?

Erik
Claudiu1988
Posted: November 16, 2006 04:03 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

QUOTE (erikofnorway @ November 16, 2006 03:59 pm)
I will take some photos of his medals as they are now and post them this week end.

Based upon the period photo, I believe the Military Bravery Medal to be gold (it appears darker than the known silver ones visible).

Also, when it comes to the attachment of the medals themselves, does anyone know how they are to be attached? Based upon the photo and remains on the ribbons, it appears that the medals were "stabilized" with a thread loop around the base and the ring attached under the ribbons?

Erik

Thanks I can't wait to see them.
PMEmail Poster
erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 11:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I just took some quick photos (with flash) tonight. Certainly not as sharp as I like them, but it gives you an idea of what state the medals and awards are today.

Here is one of the whole lot.

Erik

user posted image

This post has been edited by erikofnorway on November 16, 2006 11:26 pm
erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 11:27 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

The Order of the Crown. Is it gold or silver?

user posted image

erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 11:29 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

The Military Bravery Medals

user posted image
erikofnorway
Posted: November 16, 2006 11:31 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

And ribbons.

user posted image
Claudiu1988
Posted: November 17, 2006 09:42 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Thanks for the pictures, the lot is fabulos I like it.

This post has been edited by Claudiu1988 on November 17, 2006 09:43 am
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0417 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]