Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (9) « First ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The reconstruction of Arges River Battle
Kepi
Posted: September 22, 2006 06:20 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 680

The “6th Dorobantzes” group was also invited at this show. Unfortunately, because of lack of financial resources until a few weeks before the final date the organizers were not sure if the show will be organized or not. Because of our full involvement in the Arges River battle reconstruction, and the unavailability of the greatest part of our members for the last week-end, we finally decided to cancel our participation at Komarom. It’s a pity because we would like very much to participate as we have very nice memories about Komarom 2004.
We hope next year it will be a better cooperation between the hungarian and romanian reenactment groups, with the help of the military museums of Budapest and Bucharest that coordinate these events.
PMEmail Poster
Klemen
Posted: September 22, 2006 08:59 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 258

Hmm I thought that there was going to be no battle this year at Komarom otherwise, I think, instead of the Hungarian hussars there would have been Romanian troops...

Don't you worry, Mihnea. Our boyz would most likely kick your boyz as well, so this year you have spared yourself the embarassment and let the Hungarian huszars to go through this phase. He He He! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

. . . Arges River battle reconstruction, and the unavailability of the greatest part of our members for the last week-end, we finally decided to cancel our participation at Komarom. It’s a pity because we would like very much to participate as we have very nice memories about Komarom 2004.

What I am sometimes bothered at these reenactment shows is the lack of real authentic scenery. I mean in most cases they demonstrate the usage of weapons, horses or attack charges - that's fine. But I (as well as many others I presume) would really like to eyewitness one day for example a reenactment of a trench warfare - a demonstration of a common attack from a World War trench on a fortified enemy position. I came to a conclusion that many people, especially young ones, have not a faintest idea how it was being squezzed in a small, narrow-size, water-fulled attack trench, where you lived like a rat. Just a suggestion.

We hope next year it will be a better cooperation between the hungarian and romanian reenactment groups, with the help of the military museums of Budapest and Bucharest that coordinate these events.

I have a good friend who works in the Hungarian Military Museum in Budapest and I have once asked him about the relations with the Romanian Military Archives and Museum (exchange of personnel, records, archive documentation etc.) and from what I sensed from his reply he has said like it could be much better. Glad to hear that some things are finally moving in the right direction, though.

Speaking of which Kepi did you receive my PM from a couple of weeks ago? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Klemen on September 23, 2006 08:16 pm
PM
mihnea
Posted: September 22, 2006 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

QUOTE (Klemen @ September 22, 2006 11:59 pm)
Don't you worry, Mihnea. Our boyz would most likely kick your boyz as well, so this year you have spared yourself the embarassment and let the Hungarian huszars to go through this phase. He He He! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

He He! in 2004 K.u.K. IR 87 fought on the Romanian side manning two MGs (probably as deserters blink.gif) also they had an important role in some unplanned events... So they have just cleared there record at Komarom. laugh.gif

EDITED I know this is way off topic; so I propose that the last few messages should be moved to a different topic.

This post has been edited by mihnea on September 22, 2006 10:29 pm
PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: September 23, 2006 05:09 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

QUOTE (Klemen @ September 22, 2006 08:59 pm)

I have a good friend who works in the Hungarian Military Museum in Bucharest

Where is located this museum in Bucharest?
PMEmail Poster
Klemen
Posted: September 23, 2006 08:16 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 258

Where is located this museum in Bucharest?

He He He! I apologise. I meant BUDAPEST. I was probably reading Kepi's post and the word Bucharest sub-consciously stayed in my mind.

He He! in 2004 K.u.K. IR 87 fought on the Romanian side manning two MGs (probably as deserters) also they had an important role in some unplanned events...

K.u.k. IR 87 has never deserted!! Unless of course if you have "persuaded" them to join you with some bottles of excellent Romanian wines. Then they reconsider to swtch side. laugh.gif
PM
Cristian
Posted: September 24, 2006 09:18 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: September 24, 2006 09:46 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

I got the pics I made at the event smile.gif now I'm editing them and when I finish I will upload. Untill then here are someof my favorites:
user posted image

user posted image

and a brave soldier:
user posted image

This post has been edited by D13-th_Mytzu on September 24, 2006 10:01 am
PMUsers Website
Cristian
Posted: September 24, 2006 10:19 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
sid guttridge
Posted: September 25, 2006 07:50 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Guys,

I have never been a re-enactor, but I have observed several re-eanactments in the UK. Given how recently the passtime has been founded in Romania, and how scarce publicly available resources are, yours seems to have been of a good standard and the interest on this thread in your post-match analysis bodes well for the future.

Congratulations.

Cheers,

Sid.

PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: September 25, 2006 06:13 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: September 26, 2006 09:39 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Waiting for the battle! biggrin.gif
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Jeff_S
Posted: September 26, 2006 08:19 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

QUOTE (mihnea @ September 06, 2006 12:48 pm)
Firstly both MGs were fitted with blank firing adaptors but from what I heard they weren't made to specifications (the hole that allows the escape of gasses was too big therefore the pressure in the barrel was not able to completely reload and rearm the weapon).

It may not be the blank adaptor, but the blank round itself.

If your blanks are like US military blanks, the powder charge is significantly smaller than in a live round. Fire an M-16 on automatic with blanks, and you're lucky if you get two rounds off before it jams. It was exactly the same problem you described... the bolt does not go back far enough to reliably move the next round up into the chamber.

The blank adaptor keeps people down range safe, but it also keeps all the carbon in the weapon, rather than letting it be blown out. We always had problems getting troops to actually shoot their blanks, rather than just finding a convenient tree and emptying their clip by hand. 5 minutes of fun playing Rambo just wasn't worth 2 hours cleaning weapons.

Sound like a great event! I've been a reenactor (English Civil War) here in the USA, and I know it takes a lot of work. My compliments to all who made it happen.
PMYahoo
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: September 27, 2006 05:36 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Here's are some more I like smile.gif
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And here is a link to the whole galery.
(there is a total of 152 photos)
PMUsers Website
mihnea
Posted: September 27, 2006 10:25 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

ohmy.gif Some of the pics are extraordinary... smile.gif

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ September 26, 2006 11:19 pm)
QUOTE (mihnea @ September 06, 2006 12:48 pm)
Firstly both MGs were fitted with blank firing adaptors but from what I heard they weren't made to specifications (the hole that allows the escape of gasses was too big therefore the pressure in the barrel was not able to completely reload and rearm the weapon).

It may not be the blank adaptor, but the blank round itself.

If your blanks are like US military blanks, the powder charge is significantly smaller than in a live round. Fire an M-16 on automatic with blanks, and you're lucky if you get two rounds off before it jams. It was exactly the same problem you described... the bolt does not go back far enough to reliably move the next round up into the chamber.

The blank adaptor keeps people down range safe, but it also keeps all the carbon in the weapon, rather than letting it be blown out. We always had problems getting troops to actually shoot their blanks, rather than just finding a convenient tree and emptying their clip by hand. 5 minutes of fun playing Rambo just wasn't worth 2 hours cleaning weapons.

Sound like a great event! I've been a reenactor (English Civil War) here in the USA, and I know it takes a lot of work. My compliments to all who made it happen.

The blank adaptor is there (in this case) to create a bigger pressure in the barrel and compensate the smaller power of the blank. The blank adaptor is a small device that is screwed at the end of the barrel reducing the diameter of the barrel, but the gasses are exiting the barrel going straight ahead, not deflected to the sides.

PS The blanks were pretty powerful, they hade a sensible recoil compared to the Geco (.22) rifles that had no sensible recoil with live rounds.
PMEmail Poster
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: September 28, 2006 11:19 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Don't forget you can see the entire photo collection here.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by D13-th_Mytzu on September 28, 2006 11:20 am
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) « First ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1135 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]