Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mistery Coin, help needed
Carol I
Posted: June 29, 2006 03:20 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Dénes @ Jun 29 2006, 03:53 PM)
Here's the scan of a coin I found on an unrelatwed site on the 'net, of a "Moldova and Wallachia, 2 Para, 3 Dengi, 1773".
Reportedly, the coin displays the coats of arms of both Moldavia and Wallachia on the same side. A monetary union already in the XVIIIth Century?  ohmy.gif
Just curious...

user posted image user posted image

As far as I remember, these coins were minted by the Russians at Sadagura, near Cernăuţi, at a time when they began a war against the Porte and they intended to make them the official coin in their future territories. What is interesting is that they treated the Romanian Principalities of Moldavia and Walachia as a single entity even before they begun the campaign. I have even read a theory that Catherine the Great intended to unite the two principalities into a "Kingdom of Dacia" ruled by one of her sons (interesting hypothesis, but unfortunately unconfirmed).

Returning to the coins, there were some problems with these coins even from the very beginning. Lack of precious metals (maybe the Russians hoped that their conquests would bring them) led to the coins being struck using cheap materials and hence their stated value was not covered by the metal content as was the custom of the time. An interesting thing however is that the coins provided an exchange rate between the currency used in the Romanian principalities at the time (the Paras) and the Russian equivalent (the Dengi). I do not remember however whether the stated exchange rate was real or was favouring the Russians (as they did only 100 years later with the occasion of the 1877-1878 war against the Porte).
PM
BG7M
Posted: October 23, 2006 05:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1042

Many infos about Sadagura coinage (both in romanian and english language) you can find into my site www.banivechi.home.ro (or www.banivechi.com) clicking on "Sadagura" link into main page. Down under the pictures of my coins you will find the short history of these coins. For the next "Colectionarul Roman" - the online numismatic magazine from www.transylvanian-numismatics.com I prepared a 5 pages article about Sadagura coinage. As a interesting detail, these coins were made from the bronze of approx 1000 turkish canons and mortars captured by Rumyantsov's army at Akkerman, Benderi, Danube forts,Brasov, Izmail!

This post has been edited by Aldor on October 24, 2006 11:48 am
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: November 29, 2006 11:19 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Carol I @ April 06, 2006 08:09 am)
QUOTE (Imperialist @ Apr 6 2006, 10:58 AM)
I agree, they had to do something with the rest of the coin, but the way this fragment was cut makes me think it was deliberately done to leave TASSET there and the girl's image (irrespective if it was done in 1920s or 1950s). If it wasnt deliberate then the chances of keeping TASSET there undamaged by the close cut along with a distinct image and me finding it are pretty impressive. Maybe I should play at the lottery this week.  biggrin.gif

I still think it is only a coincidence as neither the girl nor the "TASSET" inscription is centred on the coin fragment. Both the girl and the inscription are on the same axis and therefore centring one would have meant centring the other as well. You may carry on looking, but do not have high hopes.

In the days of the Communist regime, it was common practice to cut from silver or gold coins as much the jewelry artist asked for whatever you needed: ear rings, wedding ring etc. You could not buy gold or silver before 1989, so you had to rely on this kind of belongings. It was possible in the 1960's to buy gold wedding rings from the State (i.e. government controlled business), but that was over by the 1970's.
Maybe that fragment got buried before the Communist days, but I guess the practice I described was also in use in the old times.
PM
dragos03
Posted: January 07, 2007 09:18 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

If anybody is interested in the story of the Sadagura coins, you can read BG7M's excellent article in Colectionarul Roman:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/colectionarul/Cole...rul_Roman_7.pdf
PM
dacliber
Posted: March 28, 2009 07:13 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 1849

Hi Denes i have the same coin in my colection.It was a mystery coin for me until i see her at Minastirea Bistrita Museum.It is made from the bronze of the turkish canon and it is made after the ruso-turc war which is ended whith the peace at Kuciuk Kainargi.Romantic isnt'it?user posted image
user posted image

--------------------
B
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: June 12, 2009 09:30 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

user posted image

Any ideea about the coin on the right?
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: June 12, 2009 09:42 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

user posted image
The other side (of the coin)....
PMUsers Website
luckhu
Posted: October 26, 2010 07:26 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2924

Hello ,thanks for all the great information you have shared!

http://www.oforu.com/
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0320 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]