Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Trans Danube Cross variation
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: March 26, 2006 03:55 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 198

user posted image

HELP ! What is this interesting Trans-Danube Cross variation. It is mounted in a Romanian medal bar as an order. It is with red enamel, swords and a Bulgarian crown.
PMYahooMSN
boonicootza
Posted: March 27, 2006 08:45 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

I have seen something similar in a picture somewhere but I can't remember what it is or where i've seen it. sad.gif
I don't remember the bulgarian crown or the swords, but it was definately this cross... I'll keep looking.
BTW do you have a picture of the whole bar?

This post has been edited by boonicootza on March 27, 2006 08:47 pm

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 05, 2006 04:26 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

Hallo Gents, biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of the whole bar in all its glory. ohmy.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Also unusual is the numbered Polish Medal at the end of the bar. blink.gif

Now correct me if I am wrong but it seems to have two Crown of Romania, 1st Models?? awards.
And two "Star of Romania" awards, not bad for an officer of at least 25 years service, including WW1, but he never mounted a Romanian Victory Medal, official or Unofficial, any chance to identify the owner of the bar??

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on July 05, 2006 04:32 pm
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 05, 2006 05:36 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ Jul 5 2006, 05:26 PM)
Hallo Gents, biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Now correct me if I am wrong but it seems to have two Crown of Romania, 1st Models?? awards.
And two "Star of Romania" awards, not bad for an officer of at least 25 years service, including WW1, but he never mounted a Romanian Victory Medal, official or Unofficial, any chance to identify the owner of the bar??

The two wartime Orders of the Crown are different classes. I do not remember whether the custom of wearing only the highest class of an order applied to peacetime awards only or to wartime awards as well, but I will check and come back with an answer if I'll find one.

But there are other things which appear to be wrong with this bar. The first peacetime Order of the Star has a bravery ribbon, suggesting that the badge is a replacement. This is also supported by the position of this award on the bar. The question is when did the replacement take place.

The Danube Cross is extremely strange. It is enamelled, but it is uniface. Furthermore, its back appears quite rough. It also has a Bulgarian-style crown and swords.
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 05, 2006 06:51 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 5 2006, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ Jul 5 2006, 05:26 PM)
Hallo Gents, biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

The two wartime Orders of the Crown are different classes. I do not remember whether the custom of wearing only the highest class of an order applied to peacetime awards only or to wartime awards as well, but I will check and come back with an answer if I'll find one.

But there are other things which appear to be wrong with this bar. The first peacetime Order of the Star has a bravery ribbon, suggesting that the badge is a replacement. This is also supported by the position of this award on the bar. The question is when did the replacement take place.

The Danube Cross is extremely strange. It is enamelled, but it is uniface. Furthermore, its back appears quite rough. It also has a Bulgarian-style crown and swords.

Hallo Carol 1, biggrin.gif

thanks for your information, the Polish Cross of Merit has been identified as an original issue dated about 1920's.

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on July 05, 2006 06:52 pm
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 05, 2006 08:17 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 5 2006, 06:36 PM)

I could not find the written text, but I think it referred to the Order of Michael the Brave for which all insignia were to be worn. I do not know however the rules for the other orders.

To further deepen the confusion, here are images of two WWII bars posted earlier by REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR. The top one has the officer's cross of the Order of the Star with swords without the knight's cross, while the bottom one has both awards. huh.gif

user posted image
user posted image
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0323 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]