Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> WWII Romanian Jet fighters, Fictional war end 3D model
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 20, 2006 11:00 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Lt Greceanu leading his squadron of Me 260 jet fighters in home defense.

Source: http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider/mep1070_2.htm
user posted image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 20, 2006 12:05 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Lt Greceanu leading his squadron of Me 260 jet fighters in home defense.

user posted image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 20, 2006 12:19 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Me 260 jet fighters in home defense

user posted image

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on March 20, 2006 12:20 pm
PM
Iamandi
Posted: March 20, 2006 01:03 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

I saw this "pictures" at www.luft46.com from some time a go. They are nice. If i remember right, in one fictional book it is a short story with this planes under romanian flag.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Florin
Posted: March 20, 2006 05:18 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

But in the real world the things were so secretive, that when the Italians, including Mussolini, proudly made propaganda around the successful flight of the thermo-jet designed by Caprini (the flights were in July 1940), they did not know that their good ally Germany tested in flight a real turbojet almost one year earlier (in August 1939).

Returning to fiction and alternative worlds, what can greater than imagine tens of Coanda thermo-jets in the sky during World War One. But I doubt they would be able to make any impact to the battleground, the same way as in the next war (World War Two) the Me-262 could not stop the Western Allies.

This post has been edited by Florin on March 20, 2006 05:30 pm
PM
mabadesc
Posted: March 20, 2006 07:33 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

...the same way as in the next war (World War Two) the Me-262 could not stop the Western Allies.

The Me-262 did not make a large-scale impact in the outcome of the war because it came too late and in numbers that were not nearly large enough.

Had it become operational in significant numbers just a few months earlier, however, I think it would have caused tremendous problems to the Western Allies.
PM
C-2
Posted: March 20, 2006 09:16 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

Especialy armed with 4RMZ rockets.
PMUsers Website
Florin
Posted: March 21, 2006 01:40 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (mabadesc @ Mar 20 2006, 02:33 PM)
The Me-262 did not make a large-scale impact in the outcome of the war because it came too late and in numbers that were not nearly large enough.

Had it become operational in significant numbers just a few months earlier, however, I think it would have caused tremendous problems to the Western Allies.

From statistics, less than a quarter of Me-262 (maybe less than a fifth) were assigned to be fighters. The others were wasted for tasks which may be delegated to other planes.

In the days of the German counter-offensive in Normandy, at the beginning of August 1944, the heavy tanks went to combat without aerial protection. I could not understand why the 100 Me-262 already deployed were not used for this aerial protection.
PM
mabadesc
Posted: March 21, 2006 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

From statistics, less than a quarter of Me-262 (maybe less than a fifth) were assigned to be fighters.

Are you referring to Hitler's obstinacy in assigning the Me-262 as a fighter-bomber? If so, then I completely agree with you, the Me-262 should have been employed as a pure fighter for aerial dominance, not as a bomber or ground attack craft.

I could not understand why the 100 Me-262 already deployed were not used for this aerial protection.

I think it's because by that time the Allies had complete aerial supremacy over the Northern France battle theater, and if these 100 jets had been committed, they would not have made a difference and would have been destroyed in short order.
Instead, the Germans chose to move their armor at night or during bad weather.

The Me-262's were kept for defence of the homeland, so that factories could keep manufacturing additional war materiel and especially additional fighter planes in numbers that would have been sufficient to put up a serious fight.

You are correct to ask the question, though. I am sure it was frustrating for many germans to watch their tanks and trucks being attacked and destroyed from the air while their own fighters did not offer any aerial cover. On the other hand, though, they were trying to build up their number of planes instead of committing them piecemeal to certain destruction.

Take care.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on March 21, 2006 06:29 pm
PM
SiG
Posted: March 21, 2006 08:46 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Mar 20 2006, 11:00 AM)
Me 260 jet fighters

Are those fighters licence produced at IAR Brasov? laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: March 21, 2006 10:20 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

Actualy those are luftwaffe surplus. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by C-2 on March 21, 2006 10:21 pm
PMUsers Website
Radub
Posted: March 22, 2006 09:54 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 476

Actually they are a Romanian design that the Germans plagiarised (like Maresal). dry.gif

BTW: The colours are wrong. It is plainly obvious. biggrin.gif

Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: March 22, 2006 05:33 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (mabadesc @ Mar 21 2006, 01:27 PM)
From statistics, less than a quarter of Me-262 (maybe less than a fifth) were assigned to be fighters.

Are you referring to Hitler's obstinacy in assigning the Me-262 as a fighter-bomber? If so, then I completely agree with you, the Me-262 should have been employed as a pure fighter for aerial dominance, not as a bomber or ground attack craft.

I handled in a library a book dedicated to Luftwaffe, which shown with accuracy how many Me-262 were assigned to be fighters, compared with the total, by February 1945. That was one of the reasons for Galland to voice his dissapprovement with Goering, and he lost his function and got a minor one, mostly honorific, until the end of the war. (But anyway, it could be worse... At least he was not arrested).

...Instead, the Germans chose to move their armor at night or during bad weather.

This works during defensive. But that operation (Argentan-Falaise) started as a major German offensive, in daylight all day long. To be short (because it is out of topic) that operation was an epic massacre of the German armor, and tank aces like Wittman ended killed by the bombs dropped from air. The bomb that hit his Tiger-I dropped in the hulk area in the rear of the turret, where the horizontal armor was only 20 mm.

This post has been edited by Florin on March 22, 2006 06:05 pm
PM
Treize
Posted: March 22, 2006 08:10 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 702

What are those bombers they're attacking? Look like Pe-8s in a USAAF box formation...
PMEmail Poster
SiG
Posted: March 22, 2006 10:00 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

QUOTE (Treize @ Mar 22 2006, 08:10 PM)
What are those bombers they're attacking? Look like Pe-8s in a USAAF box formation...

On the website those pictures are originally taken from, it says they are supposed to be soviet bombers. Nothing about the exact type. And the formation does look like an american box formation.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0768 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]